Breeding/foaling people

dotty1

Visit site
My mare is due to foal approx 28th of this month. She started to bag up 4 weeks ago and this has gradually got larger. Saturday her belly shape changed, it dropped and became 'pointy' and in the evening her bag was larger. In the morning she had beads of honey coloured wax on each teat. I watched her last night and she was quiet. This morning there was a single browny wax point on one teat. She is a compact little cob who looks massive to me but this is my first foal, but not hers.
The question is.......how could it be now??? in your varied experiences

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Hope this helps:

Mares may exhibit all or none of the following signs:

- Musculature around the tail head becomes soft and flaccid 2 to 4 weeks before foaling.
- The genitalia relaxes
- The udder begins to fill during the same period.
- The mare may show signs of uneasiness during the last two weeks of gestation
Waxing of the teats (sticky droplets on the ends of the teats) occurs 24 to 28 hours before parturition.
- Milky fluid may leak from the teats for hours or days before labour onset.
- Protrusion of "Milk Veins" along the lower side of the abdomen.
- Some mares, especially maiden mares, might not produce milk until after foaling.
- Tail or Hindquarters rubbing.

Sounds like you may have some sleepless nights ahead....

dotty1

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. She doesn't look too uncomfortable. I hope she hurries up and doesn't keep me up too many nights - I can't manage without lots of sleep so I might be rather grumpy for the rest of this week!!.
the camera is rigged to the mains tonight so I will be watching from the comfort of a bed.

MillionDollar

Visit site
Its so hard to tell with mares, they are such pains really. Some will do as yours have, and some can bag up just a few hours before foaling. Your mare could be early or even go over even if she is showing signs (there is a rule which is 15 +/- days). And they will foal just when you're not looking like refusbluemoon's foal did
smirk.gif

Here are some good articles for you to read-
http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/overdue.shtml
http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/predicting.htm

Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you
grin.gif

eventing_chick

Visit site
Nearly everyone i've spoken to have said their mares have been 2 weeks late, some 3! Mine was 2 weeks late and bagged and waxed a month before.You will just have to keep watching!!!( just like we've done for the last month)
laugh.gif

sallyf

Visit site
All four of ours foaled within 3 days of there due dates this year but last year two of them were 14 days early with no problems and normal well adjusted foals.
They come when they are ready.

dotty1

Visit site
Thanks for the articles Claire,nothing last night, just going to have to wait for her to surprise me.

setadrift6

Visit site
Hi. Its a wait and see game, nature will produce when its ready.
I work on a stud and the number of times we've said it will be tonight and nothing.
My mare nearly caught me out - she foaled 3 weeks early. Luckily I now her well and knew something wasn't normal, brought her in and 36 hours later a lovely filly foal who is now 3.5 weeks old and doing fine.
Good Luck!