Breeding from a horse that carries pony blood?

eventer28

Visit site
My mare is a 5yo, 16.1hh, Irish sport horse, who's dam is a 14.1hh pony (welsh/arab/connie) and her sire is a 16.3hh Irish Draft. I'm considering breeding a foal from her to keep for myself, planning to select a stallion with tall genetics but I have thought it is possible that she might produce a pony. Has anyone bred from decent sized horse mares that carry immediate pony blood?
ps. I don't want to buy a youngster and we have facilities and funds.

Bailey.jpg
Bailey 2.jpg
Bailey 3.jpg

cundlegreen

Visit site
Very nice type. I have a 15.2 hh mare by my 15 hand welsh D stallion out of a 16 hand TB mare, who had her first foal by kings composer (16.1) He turned out 16 hands. She had another by her own father ( don't ask!) who is easily going to be the same size as mother. I think the more mix you have in the pedigree, the more it's difficult to predict the height of offspring. I personally would refine her a little to putting to a good blood type, but it depends on what you want to acheive in the offspring.

eventer28

Visit site
Thanks cundlegreen. A foal by her own father - oh no!
A good blood type could work but as I'm breeding to keep I need something that would eventually carry 14stone. Any suggestions?

cundlegreen

Visit site
Thanks cundlegreen. A foal by her own father - oh no!
A good blood type could work but as I'm breeding to keep I need something that would eventually carry 14stone. Any suggestions?
The foal actually turned out a little cracker! Maybe a lighter sports type of ID would suit? Looking critically at your girl, the only thing that could be improved, would be a longer, more refined neck. She looks like she might struggle to bridle up. She is a very good basis to start breeding.