Breeding in 2012?

Eothain

Visit site
I'm just wondering if anybody is planning to breed their mares this year for the final time? What with the Mayans saying we're done for and all that? No point wasting money!

Wouldn't be funny if no mares were bred at all next year, any where in the world and on December 21st ... nothing happens!!!!!?

LynneB

Visit site
I seem to recall "end of the world doom and gloom" predictions every other year it seems - I hope they are wrong though, I already ordered my Olympic tickets! lol

Alec Swan

Visit site
Last year I thought that those who had the courage, to either buy or breed, would be rewarded, when this recession lifted. Now, I'm not so sure.

I'm old enough to remember recessions going back into the '60s. I suspect that our current restraints aren't so much a recession, more a way of life for the foreseeable future, and I'm thinking 10 years now. The economics of our world, are such that I suspect that we are in for a degree of "levelling". History will decide whether that's a good thing, or not!!

The only horses which will be guaranteed sales, will be the very best, and the very worst. Those who operate through the middle sector will be the ones to suffer.

It wont be the end of the world, but we are going to have to learn just where our market place is, and that wont be easy, for some.

Will I continue? Certainly I shall!! They don't put pockets in a shroud, so I'm going to make the most of things!!

Alec.

irish breed

New User
Visit site
Am I in that doomed middle sector! I have been breeding two mares for the past 18 years and I have been aiming for quality rather than quantity. I have always have had a love for the Irish draught breed but I find the traditional breed is not suited to our economic climate. I have alway bred an appendix mare to an Irish draught stallion and her foals have allot of quality and not as heavy boned. Ideal of course for performance and future brood mares. The filly foals qualify following inspection for fully registered irish draught mares. My problem is do I continue breeding to Irish draughts?

Simsar

Visit site
Am I in that doomed middle sector! I have been breeding two mares for the past 18 years and I have been aiming for quality rather than quantity. I have always have had a love for the Irish draught breed but I find the traditional breed is not suited to our economic climate. I have alway bred an appendix mare to an Irish draught stallion and her foals have allot of quality and not as heavy boned. Ideal of course for performance and future brood mares. The filly foals qualify following inspection for fully registered irish draught mares. My problem is do I continue breeding to Irish draughts?

Hello and a very warm welcome. Well you have opened a can of worms on this post we Simsar think Irish all the way (never foreign) but lets see what E has to say.
I am sure Simon (other half) would like to know how your mares are breed, he is a bloodline freak. :)

Simsar

Visit site
I'm just wondering if anybody is planning to breed their mares this year for the final time? What with the Mayans saying we're done for and all that? No point wasting money!

Wouldn't be funny if no mares were bred at all next year, any where in the world and on December 21st ... nothing happens!!!!!?

Nostradamus (SP) had already ended the world, you know the one that predicted the twin towers but we are still here. Don't be so grumpy talking all that rubbish. xx

JoBird

Visit site
Still putting 2 mares in foal (I fall into the mid-range sector) but I am not too worried if I dont make a profit, I just do it as a hobby as I find breeding and genetics interesting. I dont worry about tomorrow - I thought I might be moving to the US (and would have flown at least one of the horses over too) but now still plan to move (to NORFOLK - Alec maybe you can find me a property!) but my horses come first so there needs will be catered for before mine! If the world ends well we cant do much about that and in the meantime the sun is shining so lets enjoy it!

JoBird

Visit site
P.S. I am a fan of Irish Drafts too. We must campaign to make them more FASHIONABLE because they offer everything a good horse should (sorry I am not a fan of the more fashionable Warmblood). I hope to get my own ID broodmare in the not too distant future!

Simsar

Visit site
Rita use the the key with two dots next to L and then the 0 both in upper case hold the arrow above the ctrl button and press : then hold the arrow button ) and add together :)

TJP

Visit site

Good point, maybe I'll just buy lots of lovely vino with the stud fee monies etc. Uhmmm maybe not bother gelding the yearling either as I won't get a chance to break him in. More vino me thinks with that money as well, and maybe a little blue cheese :D