Breeding loan

Mr Punch

Visit site
I have a friend who has a fab warmblood mare who she’s considering putting on breeding loan.

She’s sound to ride but does suffer from separation anxiety and feels she would be more suited to being a broodmare.

Has anyone any experience of breeding loan and what should be looking for? Any studs anyone can recommend in the North? She doesn’t want anything out of it just to ensure a good home.

TheMule

Visit site
Be careful, my very good do-er came back from being on loan to someone with a small stud in a dreadful state having been in her loan home just a few months. Make sure it's local enough for regular checks.

Equi

Visit site
I have a mare on breeding loan (have had two foals out of her so far) and it works out fine for me, but thats because im looking after her well and owner is a good friend who is happy for me to do all this. Does she want a foal out of her for herself or just to get the horse a home? Loans can be tricky...what if she gets injured and is never able to foal again, will friend take her back and have her retired? Will she be happy to pts if that can't happen? If the stud who have her no longer want her will freidn be able to take her back and have the foal + probably pay the stud for either the stud fee or foal?

You can't garuntee any home, but in this situation selling might be better for your friend. Someone with a better system at their yard may be able to handle her anxiety better if your friend doesn't feel able to.

Reactions: JJS

ihatework

Visit site
I’d suggest contacting Twemlows to see if she might be suitable as a recipient mare, it will depend on her size / age and temperament. At least with a professional set up like that and carrying an expensive foal you will have increased chance of her being properly looked after

Mr Punch

Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

Yes doesn’t want the foal just to make sure the mare is well looked after. Has her own land and stables so not a problem to come back if she had to. She’s a fab mare and just wasted af present so looking at options.