Breeding on adverts

Andrew657

Visit site
Ass I am starting to read the fore sale ads - I note that a number of the ads state the horses sire/dam breeding - to be honest this means nothing to me. Is there anywhere I can look this up and as someone just wanting a horse to enjoy (not compete) how much should I let this influence my opinions

spacefaer

Visit site
Quite often, it's possible to judge the horse's temperament and/or ability from the breeding.
Some bloodlines are known (or notorious!) for their trainability or sharpness etc. It also will help identify the breed which isn't always declared.
It's more usual to see it in competition horse adverts though.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Googling the names can sometimes bring up some interesting information.

Depending on what you find, it may be useful information for you as an "ordinary" buyer.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think it depends I have mainly bought pure bred Arabs so the breeding means a lot to me and it's always something that has interested me, so even if I was looking at a part bred or a non Arab bred horse the bloodlines would be of interest to me, but I suppose if it's not something you are particularly interested in or looked at before I can imagine it wouldn't be of much interest regardless of what horse you buy.

Barlow

Visit site
Breeding lines are important to me, they give an indication of the horse’s temperament and in some cases what I might expect conformationally.

Cloball

Visit site
You can look up a lot of horses pedigrees on allbreedpedigree.com you can look at notable siblings and sometimes pictures. If you Google you can often see the level of competition the parents reached. Best to take it all with a pinch of salt and assess the horse in front of you IMHO.

Andrew657

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies

Quite often, it's possible to judge the horse's temperament and/or ability from the breeding.
Some bloodlines are known (or notorious!) for their trainability or sharpness etc. It also will help identify the breed which isn't always declared.
It's more usual to see it in competition horse adverts though.

If/when I see a horse that I intend to view - might post some details on here to see if we're in the famous or notorious lines

Melvin203

New User
Visit site
What are Breeding Rights for horse Breeding rights are the rights you possess to breed and register any puppies born with AKC (American Kennel Club), or alternative clubs. Breeding rights are a tool used by dog breeders to control the development of their bloodline when a dog is sold to a third-party.

Birker2020

Visit site
This is a good site. https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/

I never knew what my horses pedigree was until I looked it up online. I'd never heard of Nimmerdor before but over the years when people would ask what my horse breeding was I was always told 'that's a really good bloodline' , related to Big Star and so on.

Same as I didn't know what affiliated was when I bought my Grade B horse, who was my first horse.

honetpot

Visit site
Any information about a horses past is useful, like the passport, it gives you some definitive history. A good sire and a good stud, should give you a well cared for youngster, that has seen a vet, been wormed and sometimes adds value. I bought a well part bred from a TB stud, if you had been looking for a TB, it would not be of no value, but I knew it was by a sire that produces horses that have good temperament and do well in the show ring. He has grown into a maxi cob, and is trainable, you perhaps couldn't have predicted that if you did not know his breeding.