Breeding Question

GinaB

Visit site
I know nothing about breeding but keep seeing the phrase 'teaser' (especially in ads for horses for sale, then in the piccie gallery a grey arab was referred to as one). What exactly does this mean and what is their role? Are they always used etc? Just curious!

severnmiles

Visit site
One of the studs we sent TB's to used a one eyed Highland stallion...poor frustrated sod!

Basically the mare is walked infront of the teaser (teaser will usually be the other side of a stable door) and if she's showing she's ready then they can use the real thing. Some mares are extremely vicious and dangerous when not quite 'in' so its safer to use something that isn't too valuable.

samp

Visit site
They are stallions that are used to tease the mares to see if they are ready to be covered, also can be used for mares going to AI -so know best time to inseminate. They are very frustrated. At uni our teaser got to cover mares that we used at college

GinaB

Visit site
I feel sorry for them now! So they don't ever come in contact with a mare then? Are they horses that are entire? Or ones that the gelding process has gone wrong etc?

severnmiles

Visit site
They are entire. They get to sniff up all the girlie places so its not all bad
smirk.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not all bad then! And as long as they are treated well. Thanks for the replies
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its what all cheating men are reincarnated as
smirk.gif

S_N

Visit site
Some teasers are stallions that are breeding stallions. A stud I worked at when I was a teenager had a Welsh Sec D stallion, that was a VERY successful stallion in his own right (sired at least one Grade A Sjer that I can think of) and he was the studs teasing stallion.

In Kentucky we had a teaser stallion on each mare division of the masive farm I worked on. They usually covered the nurse mares, each one had a good perdigree, whether it was a TB, QH, Arab, Paint etc and some peeps would ask if their rding mares could be bred to them.

At the big stallion stations they'd have a couple of teasers, and they generally would have a big leather apron strapped to their stomachs/undersides, so that they could 'jump' a mare, without any risk of physically covering her, before the TB stallion that she was to be bred to actually came in to do his job. This was to make sure that the mare was totally receptive, to minimise the risks to the stallion. Bear in mind that these TB stallions are worth 10's of millions of dollars, everything is done to eliminate as much risk as possible, seeing as AI is not allowed!