Breeding suggestions for mare of alme bloodline

Deer

New User
Visit site
I would be interested to hear people's suggestions on suitable breeding crosses for a mare with alme blood in both her sire and dam. Temperament and rideability would be one of the priorities to get right, with the hopes that capability and conformation are in boot!
Note: chestnut mare, light of bone, 158cm

Irish gal

Visit site
That's great blood to have, who were the Alme horses she's descended from, was it Galoubet? Can you give her pedigree or a link to it. Do you want to breed an upper level show jumper, as she has the right blood, or an all rounder?

Deer

New User
Visit site
The alme is from a dam line on both sire and dam.

http://www.horsetelex.com/horses/pedigree/1693570?levels=6

I am considering an outcross using Diamant de semilly or try to line breed using a stallion I found with the dam "twiggy" who is by alme. This stallion is named "Libro", therefore giving the off spring 4x4 alme
Link to libro (kwpn)

http://www.horsetelex.com/horses/pedigree/4524

Obviously I would love to breed the best of the best but in the event we don't reach that pinnacle I want a horse that is rideable and has the temperament for a 1.40m amateur horse

Irish gal

Visit site
You have very interesting plans there Deer. The Alme blood is phenomenal, it's a line I'm very interested in myself as it seems to be so strong so I can see the attraction of line breeding. You could do that successfully though without going back to breeding in Twiggy again, unless she produced amazing progeny.

There's a very exciting young stallion here at the moment called Sligo Candy Boy, he is a grandson of Baloubet du Rouet, he is 172cms so would give you that height. His dam jumped to 1.30m and he is getting fantastic jumpers, also very good looking. At Dublin Show in the filly loose jumping for three year-olds, 1st and second went to his progeny. I think the fee is €500 and frozen is available.

OBOS Quality, is again Alme through Quick Star, his progeny are storming up the world rankings, I think he is now ranked around 50th in the World rankings for jumping sires. He is well built and suits a light boned mare. Fee €1,000.

Both this year's KWPN champion Genius and his relation Vleut would also suit. They come from a fantastic damline that had two horses in the top ten jumpers in the world. Their grand dam Audi's Jikke was world no. 10 in 2003. They are from the Alme line but more interestingly whenever horses with Alme are crossed with their damline it produces world class jumpers.

There are so many good stallions out there with Alme, I suppose it depends on what you want to spend. If you've got the cash then there's always Bubalu. Your mare has a lot of the German blood that goes so well with SF so maybe an outcross like you mention might be the way to go. Why not try both approaches over two years!

Deer

New User
Visit site
. You could do that successfully though without going back to breeding in Twiggy again, unless she produced amazing progeny.

. They are from the Alme line but more interestingly whenever horses with Alme are crossed with their damline it produces world class jumpers.

Thank you for naming these stallions ! Great food for thought. I'm particularly interested in getting alme back in through a dam line which is why I thought libro who's dam bidorette (dam twiggy) produced a few good jumpers , billy Mexico to note . But perhaps not consistently enough? Have a look and give me your thoughts?

http://www.horsetelex.com/horses/progeny/4525

Also would like to know more about your comment of crossing alme with dam line ? As this is what I was trying to do!! Just need to root out these stallions. Libro only available frozen AI

Thank you!

Irish gal

Visit site
I didn't realise she had produced Billy Mexico - I won't argue with that!! And if you want to get the blood back through a damline then that's the one.

I wasn't very clear there on the damline I mentioned. What I wanted to say was when this line is crossed with Alme it seems to produce really top level horses, like Bonne Chance ( Janika Sprunger) Vleut (Edwina tops-Alexander). A friend has a stallion from the line who has not been crossed with Alme, so I am currently trying to get him to cross them. In your case seeing as many have crossed so well in the damline it shows the blood really compliments Alme, and might do the same second time round for you.
There are two stallions Vleut and Genius that could be used. Here's the damline:

http://www.horsetelex.com/horses/family/1719326

Deer

New User
Visit site
Irish gal thanks so much for your insights and knowledgeable prospectus on the alme bloodline.. I'm going to look further into vleut and genius as these are 2 stallions I would never have considered until speaking with u.
Many thanks

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Another suggestion would be Balou Star, currently based in this country with the Allens, and doing incredibly well with Millie Allen - they were in the GB team who have just won bronze in the European Championships at WienerNeustadt. He is Balou du Rouet x Quick Star, so has Galoubet on his top and bottom line - and the few foals that he currently has in the UK have been gaining first premiums and elites in the BEF Futurity. He has a page on FB if you're interested.

Irish gal

Visit site
Balou Star looks really good. I was going to say there must be stallions in the UK with the Alme blood. Taking your mare to stud and using fresh semen is going to be cheaper then the frozen route. Another horse I forgot to mention is Ars Vivendi, standing here, he has Alme on both sides. Good luck and do let us know what you eventually decide to go with:)

tristar

Visit site
but then again my favourite is flipper d`elle, only 1. 61m but believe me that horse has the biggest heart of all I`ve seen competing, and very sound, he would be my choice out all the stallions I have ever seen.