Breeding your own vs buying...

ldlp111

Visit site
I had a possible brainwave yesterday about loaning a broodmare, as haven't seen a youngster that I like :rolleyes:
As hoping to sell companion pony so would be looking possibly for something to act as a companion as well etc.
Just wondered if anyone had any experiences/advice :)
How much does it roughly cost for all the vet fees for a normal straightforward pregnancy.

Capriole

Visit site
Vets fees will vary depending on where you live and your Vets pricing system, so I won't tackle that.

I do breed, BUT, I would just say you haven't seen a youngster that you like, there's no guarantee that you will like your homebred any better :eek:
After all that time and effort and risk and money)!), you may get something you wouldn't have bought for whatever reason, or you just don't get on with.
I have one right now was supposed to be my next horse and much as I love her we just aren't going to be compatible. She's a lovely wee thing and will be a lovely horse for someone else, just not me.

ldlp111

Visit site
Yes I understand that may be the case. :)
Well it's still very much in the early stages of thinking about it etc, i'm still looking for a youngster whilst thinking about options etc.

dominobrown

Visit site
Buying is far cheaper, easier and is a better guarantee of getting a nice youngster.
Frankly, unless you have an exceptional mare, and are prepared to pay for an exceptional stallion, you will just be adding to the masses.
Can I ask why you haven't found a youngster you liked?

ldlp111

Visit site
probably coz i'm being fussy dominobrown :eek:
I am looking for something upto a year old, to make ideally 15-16hh don't want anything too big :) But I want a dun/buckskin (or similar colour) and I seem to have a thing for horses with a big white blaze :eek:. Doesn't have to be a world beater but to make a nice allrounder possibly more dressage than jumping as i'm getting wimpier!
OH doesn't want another mare as current competition horse is abit of a diva, although i'm not actually fussed about that :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh good heavens; breeding is FAAAAR more expensive and risky than just looking in the market. I had a large stud farm for more than 11 years and ended up buying in stock at a fraction of the cost of breeding my own that were the right age/height/colour/sex/athletic ability/price, etc. It just doesn't make sense, especially at the moment, to breed when there are so many out there. Have I got the correct end of the stick: you're looking for a companion pony? Why on earth don't you go to one of the charities? They are massively overcrowded with horses needing homes.

ldlp111

Visit site
No i'm selling the companion pony, so am looking to replace with a youngster to act as company until old enough to hopefully be another competition horse for me :)

2horsesnomoney

Visit site
IF you are on Facebook look up, Whitehawk horses. They have a nice looking yearling colt to make 15hh palamino colouring. Not sure if he would might interest you i havent looked from a buying point of view conformation and stuff. But i like the horses these grow up to be. There are hundreds of nice youngsters about so unless your mare is something special I would advise against breeding its expensive and takes a long time to get your horse out of it.
Keep looking something will turn up

memenom

Visit site
there are so many horses bred all the time (apparently there are now more horses in the UK than capable people to look after them) and unless you really really know what to do, I wouldn't bother. Perhaps if you haven't found a nice youngster, you could look further a field -- there are lots of lovely and talented ones all over the place and in Ireland!!! Also, breeding a horse to ride would take such a long time

ldlp111

Visit site
One on horsemart is nice, but may struggle to convince OH as it's a filly. Don't really want a palamino although they are nice I don't think I could cope with the white mane and tail :eek:

ihatework

Visit site
In general the list of why not to breed is probably far longer than the list of why to breed!!

For an average horse:

1. It costs more to breed and get a horse to 4 years old than it would likely cost to go and purchase that same horse at 4
2. You have to deal with risk of actually not getting a horse to 4 years old, either through inability of the mare to concieve, loosing foal before birth, loosing mare & or foal during birth or post foaling complications, accident whilst young / growth deformities etc.
3. Even if you do breed a healthy foal - is it the colour/sex you want? Does it grow to the height you want? Does it have the right temprement? All of these are much easier to control if you go out and purchase!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to breeding myself in the future - but it will be very much with the above in mind.

OP - my advise is to just keep looking for the right youngster. If you are clear about what you want I would suggest paying out for a 'wanted' advert.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Don't know what the costs would be now, I bred mine years ago, in fact the filly I bred was 20 yesterday. I still have her but she did not turn out as I expected. I would not breed again as if you buy you can look for exactly the type and temperament you want where as if you breed you end up with what you are given.:) In the case of my mare everything went very smoothly and the vet costs were minimal but I bought a miniature mare in 2011 due to foal May 2012 and in April she had a still birth which was devastating. Luckily the mare is now fine and a fantastic little horse but would never want to go through that again. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

ldlp111

Visit site
Well i've actually just discovered he's been used to breed, would this make a difference to his attitude as he will be out with my mare eventually and don't want any shenanigans as mare is abit of a flirt!! :eek:

ldlp111

Visit site
Yes he's been gelded. Is he abit overpriced though? :)
I've not bought a horse in ages... so unsure of prices, last horse I bought was £300 pounds as a foal :eek: Still got her now!
:)