Breeds / types... variety, or are you sold on one?

ShadowFlame

Visit site
You know what they say about curiosity... there's going to be an awful lot of cat-killing going on, I'm afraid :eek: Buut... I'm curious. Have you swapped and changed breeds over the years (months, weeks!), or would you not deviate from a specific type? Any particular reason why, and how different have your horses been?

Clava

Visit site
I have bought a haflinger for when getting on a 16hh TB gets a bit of a stretch as I get older. But I love Tbs , Arabs and Haflingers - Tbs for their sensitivity and speed, Arabs for their beauty and grace and Haflingers for the natures and intelligence (and height! lol, can't beat having a 4 wheeled drive sometimes when a E Type doesn't fit the bill)

Visit site
Always wanted a friesian/welsh d/ dales/ fell/ Spanish (you get the idea lol)
Got my first loan pony. A 13.2 newforest gelding and now i love the breed. I choose one over a PRE anyday.
I'd call them banter in pony form.
Some much fun, naughtiness and yet the ability to be graceful dressage ponies, courageous jumpers and brilliant friends :)
I now have an appyxnewforest and i wish she had abit more newforest in her!!

FlaxenPony05

Visit site
Used to want a 16hh bay arab as my future horse...I now have a loan cob who is lovely and I'm pretty sure I want cobs in the future too!

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
You know what they say about curiosity... there's going to be an awful lot of cat-killing going on, I'm afraid :eek: Buut... I'm curious. Have you swapped and changed breeds over the years (months, weeks!), or would you not deviate from a specific type? Any particular reason why, and how different have your horses been?

Have I swapped and changed breeds over the years? No. Would I deviate from a specific type? Yes, but it would remain the same breed.

I can't be the crazy Standardbred lady without a Standardbred :p

Joking aside, I have said before that I won't ever have any other breed of horse. I've fallen head over heels for a breed that has five gaits instead of four, is so laid back and willing to learn, and can come in so many different shapes and sizes. I started off on a 14.3hh fine type; I now ride a 15.3hh stronger, thicker-set type. My friend has a 16.3hh monster-type; my OH has a 15hh short-bodied stocky type he wants me to back. They're all Standardbred pacers. Some look like cobs, some look like IDs, some look like TBs. Some can't help but look like Standies!

I've already said it's because they're so laid back and eager to learn, but I'm stuck with them for life because I'm involved in harness racing and will be forever (thanks to OH). We'll be racing horses and any that finish their racing careers with us can be broken to ride. There's no need for me to go looking elsewhere, and I don't ever want to do anything fancy other than ride around and have fun (for which they are perfect!).

madlady

Visit site
In my younger years I rode all sorts at various RS and worked for rides at other private yards but wasn't really particularly 'into' any particular breed - in fact (showing my age now) breeds weren't really that important.

I did have a lovely heinz57 on loan for years who was fab and would turn his hoof to anything.

Me and OH now have friesians (5 of the beasts :) ) and I love them. We bought originally as OH drives and the aim was (and still is) to start a commercial driving business with them but one of the mares that we bought is now my riding horse - I love her to bits, she is forward going, safe, a dream to hack, schools nicely (when I have the inclination) and is all round a dream. She will never be a world beating competition horse but that isn't my aim - my aim is safe enjoyment and I know I can jump on her, set off on a days ride and know that I can go pretty much anywhere with her.

If I was seriously into competing then she wouldn't be the right type but she is perfect for what I want.

One of our stallions has been broken to drive but I'm riding him out a bit as well and we have another stallion who will be broken to drive later this year - OH with then have his much dreamed of driving pair.

JFTDWS

Visit site
My first is a heavy weight cob. Wasn't a cob person at all beforehand but he's such a nice, fun character I had him anyway. Over the next decade or so I rode some bigger, finer types, but when I came to buy my next I bought a highland as I've always fancied one and they're nice and versatile and short! Now pretty well sold on highlands.

Would deviate to a PB highland with some Spanish blood though, if the opportunity arose.

micki

Visit site
I adore gypsy cobs, whether colured or solid colour. I did go looking for another one when i had my old one pts but ended up buying a IDxtB. I have now put him on loan as we just don't click for the riding side and i have another coloured gypsy cob. I also own a gypsy cob x tb that i bred and my daughter owns a section B who is adorable but it is the gypsy cob that does it for me. I just love the look of them. I don't really dislike any breed though.

Dizzleton

Visit site
I've gone from 16hh Bay hunter (IDx) to a 16.1 bay TB Ex-racer and now have a 17hh Belgian WB that I wouldn't change for the world.

The Hunter was very steady, unfazed, sturdy and hardy. A little boring at times but could pop a big jump! He's now gone on to be an RDA horse.

The Ex-racer was a brilliant confidence giver, he raced from 2 - 8 yo and won over 30k guineas in his time. He was then abandoned and was a scrawny mess. I built him up and he had fantastic topline for a TB. Whilst he was mainly sane, he was a true racer and had to be in front no matter walk, trot, canter or gallop! Whilst I didn't compete with him, I done everything else from swimming down the beach to galloping flat out through huge fields. He used to cat leap off all 4's when he was excited but I only ever came off once when I was jumping. He's now retired and on loan, but I still love him.

My current horse (BWP) is everything I could've dreamed of. He's tall, muscley, has a stallion like neck with a gorgeous expressive face. He trots on the air and just floats across the ground. He's super intelligent and learns very quickly. We have a great amount of trust in each other and he really has been the best horse I could wish for. We've taken each other from novice showjumpers (1m / 1.10m course!) to do Ad Med/Ad dressage in just under 3 years. He's just a perfect horse for me :)

When the current horse retires, I'm wanting to get a Hanoverian colt to break in myself :)

Love

Visit site
Natives! Just love them, but especially Connies. There is just something about them and they are so much fun!

Saying that I love the big hairy traddies too, have never owned one but love riding them!

Lolo

Visit site
When we had ponies, we had the full gamut- from 11hh welshies to 14hh cobs and everything inbetween.

Horses, we have only ever owned full TBs. Not through a conscious decision as such, but they suit what we need them to do and we do love them. But aside from Friesans, who I agree are gorgeous but are seriously not my thing at all, I don't think we discriminate. If we found a traddy cob who'd jump round BE Novice and beyond happily we'd o for it ;)

Montyforever

Visit site
I've always stuck to welshies, love their looks and firey personalities :D

Have to admit some days I want to strangle my mare but the good outweighs the bad 99% of the time!

ridefast

Visit site
Between me and my mum we have a new forest, a cob, a welsh D, and a haflinger cross. I've ridden quite a few breeds and cross breeds, I do have a thing for arabs and arab x's, but really it's the temperament that gets me, regardless of breed, age, height or type. My latest crush is a 20 year old tb :)

Pigeon

Visit site
I like anything that's fast, light and responsive, and that generally seems to come in the form of a thoroughbred or standardbred.

My first horse was an appaloosa, completely by chance, but he was so special that I've been sold on the breed ever since, even though before I met him I thought they were ugly! I think if you find a really good horse, you project their traits onto others of the same breed or type.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I tend to err my preference for a horse with some bone, that said I have a 17hh Westphalian who is very fine, a Dales youngster a 14.2 hh coloured cob (daughter's) a 10hh falabella x and a new 15.1hh 4 yr old IDx.

Coblover63

Visit site
Hairy cobs are in my heart. Tried a TB and although he was safe, my confidence withered away like sand through an hourglass. Returned to my "first love" and got another hairy cob.... and now have three and a half of the blighters!!!! :p

Casey76

Visit site
I didn't really have a preference before, but then I saw a photos of a Mérens and fell in love... now I have two!

I don't think I would ever look at another breed now, tbh :eek:

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
I've had quite a variety from TB's, Warmbloods, ISH and coloured cobs.
I love them all and particularly love riding the WB's but I do tend to alarm myself by always hankering after coloured cob youngsters.
Goodness knows why, I think it must be their gentleness and sanity. Speaking of which, I adore Shires and Clydesdales too but the cost of keeping them is prohibitive.
If buying again, I'd have another WB but would have to avoid all sightings of traditional cobs in case I got distracted.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Well, as Nelly was a Sec D x either Fell or Dales - chunky, solid, very hairy and only about 14.3hh . . . and Kal is a Polish sporthorse, tall (16.3-ish), leggy, very fine-coated I'd say I don't have a "type" . . . they are also hugely different in temperament - when challenged Nell would simply plant . . . Kal's default setting is to spin, rear and beggar off ;).

P

Enfys

Visit site
I like small, hot horses, and yellow ones.

Arabs, arabs, arabs. I was converted 25 years ago and have rarely been without one since. I love everything about them.

But...with the onset of creakiness and knackered joints I have now added a Paso Fino to the collection for riding. Much the same as arabs in temperament but gaited which is SO comfortable. I will never be without an arab though.

I also am very fond of my Quarter Horses and Paints, nice, mellow people that I breed for other people to ride. Too big for me to ride comfortably.

A horse is a horse though, if I was looking and one ticked everything on my list (as a riding horse) then I would buy it regardless of colour or breed.

Breeding stock? Must be papered, and must be dilute, preferably palomino (just because I like palominos in my fields) and I like Paints, with a decided preference for overos.

rowan666

Visit site
Arabs for me.... Tried/owned and still do own various other breeds but i will always compare them all to arabs and no matter what breed it is they are never quite in the same league!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I like small, hot horses, and yellow ones.

This, although I would replace yellow with ginger. :D

Chestnut mare is 15.2 and a bit and she's plenty tall enough. I have a real soft spot for ex-racers and a neighbour has PRE's which I really admire whenever I see them. I love arabs and also see the beauty in akhal-tekes. I've had wonderful rides on cobs and various other breeds that I would have loved to own, but they all fit into the short, hot (but not nutty) description.

JulesRules

Visit site
Although I don't have a certain breed I go for I do have a definite "type"

This is Pally, a 15.2 lemon and white cob who I part loaned for 8 years. I only gave him up as he was starting to struggle to do what I wanted. Luckily he is owned by YO so I can still see him every day, but I fell in love with him as he is gentle, kind and a dream to do in every way. He is laid back but so willing and really tries hard.

picture.php

So I then bought Smudge. She is a Malopolski (Polish warmblood), but is a similar size (15.3 ish) and I guess a similar build and of a similar nature - mostly laid back, although she definitely has some very Mareish moments.

picture.php

I guess overall they are both of a very similar "type"

LollyDolly

Visit site
My first horse was a Heinz 57, Irish Cobby type, 14.2. He was very quiet, sensible and reliable but he was cripplingly lazy!

My second horse was a 17.2 (bought as 16.3 when 6!) Irish Sports Horse, he was stunning to look at and together we won three riding club dressage championship titles, sadly we couldn't really travel much as I was doing GCSE's, A-Levels and working in a job whilst I owned him so I lacked the time (and the transport!!) He was lovely though, bred to the nines with a gorgeous, long sloping shoulder, however he was also lazy in the school (but violently explosive when having a paddy!) and had a rocking chair canter that felt like you were going back in time. He had a very long and relatively low set neck, was bold as brass but was also quite a bit of a diva and a stroppy git to match.

My current horse is perfect, he again is an Irish mongrel type however much like Enfys and Faracat, he is small, hot and a gorgeous colour (kinda yellow? :eek:). Unlike my previous horse he only stands at 14.3/15hh, has quite a high set and short neck and is very short and compact through the back. Temperament wise he also couldn't be any more different, he is a bit scatty, spooky and nervous but he is also very lively and excitable with flashy paces. He is the cheeriest chap that I have ever met :D Small, hot and cheery is definitely everything that I love in a horse :D :D

Amy567

Visit site
First pony was a wizzy Welsh Section A pony, 11.3, palomino, gorgeous little mare.
Second one was a Welsh sec B X arab, wizzy again, dappled grey (looked like a rocking horse!) 12.3, little ***t! Until you got him in a gymkahna, PPC type set up and he was on fire! Completely unpredictable SJ, over bent constantly, though pretty decent paces and spooky as anything! Taught me how to ride! haha.
Third pony, Heinz57 (connie X we think) Rose Grey 13.2 angel of a pony. Bold XC, good SJ, pretty terrible paces in all honesty, sweet mare that wasn't a 'cuddly' one.
Fourth, 14.2hh Connie off the ship from ireland, more of a hunter, extra safe hack, strong boy, but we tried and tried to do SJ, better at hunting and XC...
Had a 14hh Heinz57 whilst I had above pony, pure competition pony, can't remember hacking out all that much, jumped anything you put in front of her, wizzy, turned on a sixpence, hyper pony.
15.2 TB X (not much other than TB in there!) hyper, when she wants to be, mainly laid back now, pure competition horse, and we have FINALLY got her safe as houses out hacking!
New boy 16.2 TB, chunky one though! Ex racer, fairly laid back, spooky, but just does the whole 'grow and hand, stand and stare at it, give it PLENTY of room' spook. Got a ping on him and decent paces, really elevated trot.

So I go for the pretty ones that can jump :p

AMW

Visit site
Welshes for me :) Have had one or more of each section and love them all. We currently have 9, 7 are section Bs, 1 sect A & 1 PBW.
been a bit naughty and bought a 2013 foal (palomino filly) already, well we don't have any foals ourselves this year :).
preferred colouring palomino, chestnut or dun, preferably with 4 even whites & a blaze (shallow I know), though I have to say I do love my coloured PBW.

Theres so many horses/ponies out there might as well get what you like :)

sandi_84

Visit site
I've always liked the natives because I grew up around them :D
I think they are the best thing since sliced bread because they are, (beware sweeping statement to follow! :eek: generally speaking for the ones I know, willing workers, intelligent, loving, a bit cheeky in a nice personality way, happy to live out in our lovely scottish weather, have decent feet and seem to shrug off most bugs going about and even though they get themselves into scrapes they seem to have enough brains not to do themselves too much damage :D
I'm not a huge fan of big flashy types and although I can see the appeal I just cant resist a big cuddly fuzzy native ;):D