Brewers Yeast - How much to feed itchy shetland & were to get it from

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Evening,

Thanks to super mild winter have already seen some horrid little flies buzzing about :( My shetland (yes I spelt it right coz she is the sweetest loveliest little thing ever and not a *****land) gets itchy every may/june time right though till Nov dispite full body snuggy hoods outfit & every topical sweet itch product under the sun!!

So time to try brewers yeast I feel, got to be worth a go!! So where do I get it from, and how much do I give a 10hh shetland? Are there any other benfits to it too?

Thanks in advance,

Elle

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I bought mine from the local chemist, I asked about quantities and they said I couldn't feed to much as any that wasn't needed would be weed out!

I gave them to my 10h Shitland X spot (spelt correctly) because of his mild sweet itch. I don't think it made any difference.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I'm going to try it this year on a very bad sweetitch highland along with rug etc , so at the mo can't help but will watch this with interest

Fransurrey

Visit site
Thanks guys, have any of you used it for sweet itch? Did it help?

It'll only help if you address the rest of the diet, too. I treat my SI mare like a laminitic, so low starch, restricted grazing, the lot. SI is as much dietary as it is flies - your little chap is proving that as he's itching under his rug.

I used Yea Sacc from metabolic horse and then BY from Charnwood, but I had problems with the last batch I bought and haven't dared buy it again, as it's a lot of money to waste and I already have a 25Kg sack of worthless stuff to use up (still feeding it as a nutrient source, as opposed to a probiotic). The first batch I got from them did help, though. I noticed her itching within 24hrs of running out of my 'field stock'.

Still unsure of where to buy this year's batch from, but Metabolic Horse is the only one I know which worked, aside from CM. try also feeding micronised linseed for Omega 3s and anti-inflammatory properties.

Lancelot

Visit site
I fed Charnwood Milling brewers yeast 2 years ago to my 16.2 who suffers quite badly from sweet itch. I used it in conjunction with a SI rug and NAF Deet (black bottle) spray. He didn't get any problems at all that year and had THE most amazing coat - it shone like glass :)

Last year I used BY from another supplier and didn't see much benefit. I really only tried it as Charnwood sell theirs in 25kg bags which is a lot considering I was feeding 30g per day!

I will definitely be switching back to Charnwood Milling this year. If you contact them about how much to feed I'm sure they will help, I have a feeling its about 25 grams per 500Kg a day.