Brexit and pound to euro effect on breeding costs

Springs

Visit site
Hi all

So the £ has lost around 15 to 20% in value against the euro, this will now make Importing more expensive and exporting more competitive!

What are your thoughts and will this change your planes if your going European :)

Many thanks

popsdosh

Visit site
Hi all

So the £ has lost around 15 to 20% in value against the euro, this will now make Importing more expensive and exporting more competitive!

What are your thoughts and will this change your planes if your going European :)

Many thanks

Why do you think some of them are coming over here to be based! If I could get what I want in this country I would use them but I cant. At the end of the day we have had a run with a strong pound that has worked in our favour At the end of the day the europeans are realists and having spoken to some of them at the weekend they are offering deals.
As AA says above a couple of hundred quid or more is nothing in the scheme of things esp when you are looking 4 years down the line at if your youngster is saleable you will recoupe the extra many times over. Part of the problem with British breeding is people have always gone for the cheap deal just up the road. However just because a stallion is expensive it doesnt make him any better than what he can potentially produce. Its value that counts not the cheapest !

crabbymare

Visit site
In around 2012 the rate was around 1.12 and there were no major headlines about it because there was no brexit. lets say the average cost of semen (yes I know there are normally certification and transport costs) is 1000 euro then at 1.14 which it is today it will cost 877 and at its average from what I remember before brexit it was about 1.26 it will cost 793 so there is not a huge difference when you think of all the other costs involved. even doubling that for the expensive stallions its not a huge amount as a percentage. I was very happy to pay last year and am hoping for a very good foal. the big difference between the uk and mainland europe is that its a lot easier to find buyers for foals there at a good price which in my case was a much bigger consideration than the euro rate

Asha

Visit site
Personally this level of change on a stud fee wouldnt influence my choice whatsoever. Its a relatively small amount of money when you tot up the actual costs of raising a foal.

sallyf

Visit site
Brexit added around £700 to my stud fees when i got the bill in autumn last year.
2 chilled stud fees and 2 single dose (price per dose) frozen semen stud fees for 4 pregnancies.
Total bill just over 5k with shipping etc.
Made me wince a bit to start with but then as stated on another thread some of the shipping charges in the UK are dearer to start with than from the EU and there is some excellent quality single dose frozen to be bought at great value.
I try and use stallions that are very commercial and have excellent quality semen to try and keep vet fees down.
Will it make any difference to my future choices , no it won't as the value of the foals against the cost of the stud fees is proportionately higher than i would get from something i would choose in the UK.
The problem with some of the UK based stallion who are maybe cheaper is that if they are based on studs that use them on a lot of there own mares and who then sell the numerous foals off cheaply means that the foal value by that particular stallion is low.
When i can pay a small amount more for my stud fee and get a more commercial foal to sell for a profit it is a bit of a no brainer.

sywell

Visit site
The problems with Brexit will come when we are outside the EU and become a third country. When we bring semen or horses into the UK from the EU they are moved when we are a third country they become imports. This means you will have to have a passport that complies with EU 262 2016 the EU version not the DEFRA version as DEFRA's plans are for a basic document and then you will have to get a fully compliant EU passport.

crabbymare

Visit site
If you register your foals with KWPN or other foreign societies, would that allow movement? Or would you still need the updated passport?
the horse will require a eu compliant passport to travel in the eu. If the passport is issued by the kwpn it wil be compliant but passports issued by uk breed societies may not be.

sywell

Visit site
If you register your foals with KWPN or other foreign societies, would that allow movement? Or would you still need the updated passport?

That is the best way. Their documentation will be up to the EU standard as they have long established databases and their passports have all the things in them that DEFRA want. The DEFRA idea that the owner is responsible for the passport is not the EU one which says that the keeper is responsible with the owner but the primary responsibility to see it is kept up to date is the keeper. Horses are livestock in Europe and the place they are kept is registered as a holding which gives a much more accurate count of the number of horses in an area. I think one of the boroughs in Birmingham Sandwell I think has more horses than dogs. So for disease control it is important to know how many horses are in a particular area. How many racehorses are owned by people who do not live in the UK. Many people do not appreciate that a HANN or KWPN registered horse has privlages that do not apply to ID only horses for health checks and travel times. The new zootechnics regs which come in in 2020 or 2021 offhand i am not sure which year will be an added complication for UK horses owners. We still have not applied the passport regs from 1/1/2016 yet.

Rollin

Visit site
You are so right about disease control. I am notified by the French National Stud (now IFCE) of any viral outbreak in France and the location. The National Equine Database links to Lab test result so I cannot for example get a covering certificate for a stallion which has not been swabbed for CEM. Coverings are also registered on line and reminders sent out to register foals and obtain passports. It also means that France knows how many mares covered each year and how many live births. Now I am used to it, I think it is a great system.