Brick built vs wooden stables... what do you think?

do you wear a body protector?

• Total voters

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
Hi

I have been house hunting for ages and ages. i wanted something with a few extra stables so i could have a couple of DIY liveries.

after looking at billions of houses (with yards) i have finally found one i like. it's a dump, but with lots of TLC could be a fab family home.

anyhoo, it has brick built stables, 12' x 12'. plus a foaling box which is much bigger and a tackroom too.

i've always had wooden stables, but always presumed brick built were better (sturdier, less drafty etc).

I posted a photo of the stables onto my facebook... and one of my 'friends' left loads of horrible comments. including one saying the stables were skanky.

Is she saying this because they're brick built? Does anyone have any opinions on brick vs wooden?

thank you xxx

GinaB

Visit site
I think somebody was jealous
wink.gif

Halfpass

Visit site
Some friend
confused.gif
Jealous maybe?

Having kept my horses in both I prefer brick built as they are much cooler in the summer and just as warm as wooden in the winter.

You have no problems with wood rot and brick stables can take an awful lot of hammering from horses i.e. my OH horse rolled in his wooden stable and back of stable got pushed out and his leg got caught between the floor and the back of the stable. This wouldn't have happened in a well built brick one I am sure!!!

FWIW I'm sure these stables will look fab with a good clean and a bit of white paint. I'm sure the horse won't mind as long as its warm and dry!!!!

Can we see piccies?

Gooby

Visit site
as long as it is well built i dont think it should matter whether it is brick or timber. Atm mine is in a stable with brick/metal ext walls and timber partitions
smile.gif

Bay_Beasty

Visit site
I cannot make judgement. If we all bought houses that we could just walk into, then life would not be fun. Our stables are wooden, lovely and warm in winter, lovely and cool in summer, very airy as they go up v high and so good for COPD horses, with windows that can be opened etc. I have been in Brick and some are lovely and some are very airless, but I have also been in many a wooden stable that is airless. Its not the material but the design that is important IMO. and I love projects and most things just need a good clean and a tidy and if if feels right buy it.

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
ok, here's the link to the album...

don't laugh too much. BEFORE CLICKING ON THE LINK BE AWARE THIS IS A HUGE PROJECT! we are under no illusions. and have renovated our current house ourselves, with no previous DIY experience (it didn't have heating/floors etc).

the vendor has 44 scrap cars, lots of metal things, and a few caravans on the yard/garden etc. you HAVE to see past these! they won't be there when we own it!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=107757&id=741861053&l=bc5fc74987

if you hate it, don't be too mean! i know it's hideous! but it's got a lovely feeling about it. believe me, i have looked at LOTS of houses recently... and this is by far the gross-est!
but we love it... x

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Brick are far far better, no chewed wood, cool in summer and warmer in winter, great to paint, easy to disinfect - and ringworm etc can be washed off as they can't get in the cracks there are in wood. They last far far longer than wood. I would ignore your friend and wallow in your good fortune of finding a place with lovely brick stables. If they look a bit tatty then you can soon tidy them up. Mine are a mix of cob and brick and looked a real mess when we bought the place. But a fresh coat of paint, a bit of mortar in the holes, a tidy up of the woodwork and we now have a fantastic stable yard.

ballhillmay08004.jpg

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Brick are far far better, no chewed wood, cool in summer and warmer in winter, great to paint, easy to disinfect - and ringworm etc can be washed off as they can't get in the cracks there are in wood. They last far far longer than wood. I would ignore your friend and wallow in your good fortune of finding a place with lovely brick stables. If they look a bit tatty then you can soon tidy them up. Mine are a mix of cob and brick and looked a real mess when we bought the place. But a fresh coat of paint, a bit of mortar in the holes, a tidy up of the woodwork and we now have a fantastic stable yard.

ballhillmay08004.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my GOD! your stables are LUSH. sadly, mine are nowhere near that nice!
blush.gif

Bosworth

I love your place - real potential and not too much work. At least the house is fairly modern and your services are not overly ancient. Our house is over 600 years old with all the associated problems of lead pipes, dodgy electrics from when electricity was invented. A water supply in a mix if imperial and metric. You will really enjoy doing it, I have found it so satisfying and the increase in the property's value makes every little bit if effort totally worth while.

Gingerbird

Visit site
Any point in suggesting you just remove 'friend' from your FB account!!!!

Brick stables are fantastic and I think would be my 1st choice over wooden.

As someone else said, they are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, easier to wash down and disinfect, less susceptable to damage........I could go on!

What an amazing looking project that looks though - very exciting!

katelarge

Visit site
She is being a cowbag! Looked at the pics and I was expecting MUCH worse, I obviously have much lower standards than you. Oh and I love the clapped-out Jeep, hysterical!

It's got tons of land, a school and no it doesn't need "ripped out". The stables will be fine to: I would go for it, she is just jealous. BTW why is she even a friend after that remark about your horse?!!!

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
bosworth - tis true, i found doing up our current house sooooo satisfying, and the increase in value is amazing! especially as we spent far less money than we thought we would (but tonnes of elbow grease). my poor husband has learnt to plaster, re-roof, build chimneys, re-wire...

so, i think it will be enjoyable. i was also pregnant for the last house renovation too (am pregnant again) so i think this is my own 'special' version of 'nesting'...!
wink.gif

emma69

Visit site
I think once the cars are gone, and the rubbish cleared away, and the weeding done, it will look so much better. Longer term, some new white paint on the stbles, and some new matching doors, and they will be fine!

Bosworth

Not yet, but when we took our on it was a mess, no fencing, no mounting block, doors hanging off, peeling paint, doors missing. Drinkers hanging off, no electricity or water. Holes in the concrete, weeds everywhere. Our arena was grass, and took me about 3 months to get rid of the weeds and find the sand surface underneath. Our fields had no grass at all just moss and mud.

have a look at our web now and you can see what it has become www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk and that took me about 12 months to do. Still loads left but it is now all together.

emmiec12

Visit site
I think they are jelous..... we are lucky enough to have brick stables that match the house, but before that our horses were in self built pens in an old milking parlour.... it doesn't matter where the horses are as long as they are well looked after!

Ignore that stupid person
mad.gif
! Don't let them ruin it for you! I'm glad you have found a place you like
smile.gif

Chico Mio

Antedeluvian
Visit site
How ANYONE can say that place is a dump is beyond me! Those stables look like the height of luxury compared to what we had to start with! We had a 100 yo stone barn that had been bricked up for 15 years and was so full of sh*te that I almost cried when we got in there! The roof was slate (humungous great slabs mind you, not nice roof slates) and the roof beams were rotten and had to be replaced. The house wasn't much better!! Anyone wants a real laugh there are pics on facebook....

Ohh, sorry, in answer to your question, brick/stone for me everytime. Cool in summer, warm in winter, don't need Weathercoating, nice and solid. Good Luck if you buy it!

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
She is being a cowbag! Looked at the pics and I was expecting MUCH worse, I obviously have much lower standards than you. Oh and I love the clapped-out Jeep, hysterical!

It's got tons of land, a school and no it doesn't need "ripped out". The stables will be fine to: I would go for it, she is just jealous. BTW why is she even a friend after that remark about your horse?!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

the clapped out jeep is one of many...
in the flesh, the house does look worse than the photos, but i don't care! i can't wait to get stuck in!

i forgive her horrible comments, as i don't think she's deliberately horrible... though it can be a bit upsetting! esp as my horse is Hanoverian x Polish WB... and is sire is Geronimo... so not actually ill-bred! though he is a bit runtish as has been out of work for a bit!
grin.gif

but, again, like the house. i love my horse. i don't care what everyone else thinks, it just makes me more determined to succeed!

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Our arena was grass, and took me about 3 months to get rid of the weeds and find the sand surface underneath.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha! i can see me weeding for months and months. actually, that's a lie, i am too pregnant to bend down. i can see my 12yr old son weeding and weeding to earn some pocket money!
tongue.gif

Booboos

Visit site
Brick are better in my opinion. Looking at your photos you could render these stables, paint them white, add some hanging baskets and a few touches (mounting block, potted plants) and they will look divine! Shouldn't take took long to do and you should be able to do it yourselves. I think that building projects are a lot of fun, you can do everything the way you want it and then you can feel proud it was all your hard work.

D

Donkeymad

brick stables over wood any day.

I think that place is nice and has great potential, you are under no delusions about work involved, so go for it.
grin.gif

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Brick are better in my opinion. Looking at your photos you could render these stables, paint them white, add some hanging baskets and a few touches (mounting block, potted plants) and they will look divine! Shouldn't take took long to do and you should be able to do it yourselves. I think that building projects are a lot of fun, you can do everything the way you want it and then you can feel proud it was all your hard work.

[/ QUOTE ]

my thoughts exactly! little cute hanging baskets (which no doubt i'll kill within days)... it'll look cute!

here's the message my 'friend' sent me:
you have gone completely insane!!! It is GHASTLY - souless, characterless, major strucutral faults, house should be bulldozed, the stable yard isn't fit for any animal and looks like a gypo site, all the land needs fencing, the manege is crappy sand which you'll only be able to use for about 3 months in a year....
PLEASE tell me you are not seriously considering it???!!!!

i can't help but worry that she must see something i'm missing. i'm concerned my crazy pregnancy hormones are making me want a house that no one else will touch...
confused.gif

Mrs_Wishkabibble

Visit site
What a lovely place it will be with a bit of hard work.
smile.gif

Just the sort of project to get your teeth into.
I would say your friend is definately Mrs Envy!
mad.gif

Good luck with it and show us some pics of the progress.
smile.gif

Haniki

Visit site
With a bit of work your property will be lovely! You've got your own house, stables, land and menage, what more could you want? I think your 'friend' is jealous.

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
where abouts is the house? i could be one of your liveries lol or just help you paint
tongue.gif

i like painting
x

[/ QUOTE ]

it's miles away... it'd be about an hour and a half commute for you ... so doubt you'll want to livery there! but you're more than welcome to come and paint, and maybe pull some weeds out of the manege... i think i'll have a 'painting party' or something, and get loads of mates over for a big BBQ and party in exchange for some hard labour!

laugh.gif

xx

Pixxie

Visit site
i would actually be more than happy to come and give you a hand, would love to meet raf as well.

and trains are brilliant things :p (where is the hour and a half commute to?)

x