Bridges over motorways

pottamus

Visit site
I have an endurance ride at the weekend and towards the end of the route a bridleway crosses over the M1 via a bridge. My horse has never experienced this before and I have heard they can be scared by the traffic underneath.
Does anyone have experience of this - good or bad - and any tips to make the process go smoothly if he does get worried by it apart from me being confident and carrying lot's of mints!!!
smile.gif

Thanks all!
smile.gif

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Took my mare over one for the first time ever a couple of weeks back,i was hacking out and had horsey company,she was rather scared and just stood there and stared! i kept trying to push her on confidently (well mostly confidently)*cough* and she then got moving and followed our hacking partner.
i would just say keep pushing forward calmly and try to act as if there is nothing there to worry about if ya know what i mean,good luck,you will be fine
smile.gif

katiejaye

Visit site
My old yard used to have a bridge over the M1 to the turnout fields. All three horses I have had over the years had absolutely no problems going over it. My second horse had a good look around when we first walked over it but she didn't react in any way. I think it really depends of the horse but if yours is generally sensible then you shouldn't have a problem.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I had to cross a bridge over the M6 when I did one of my endurance rides - it was horrible you could feel the lorries going underneath. Luckily I got my horses head amongst some of those mad arab endirance people so he went across ok - it was a fast trot - and I don't think he would have done that if he'd been on his own.
My tip being - hang on, trot and try to cross with a buddy.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
We have lots of motorway bridges to face on our hacks - the best way to introduce them to horses (that we've found anyway) is to ride side by side - go into a brisk forward trot together, leg on and keep going as though nothing is different - We find the horses "squeeze" themselves closer as they go over but when you've got your leg on and the horses are going forward "together" they keep going - Good luck - I'm sure if he's traffic proof he'll be ok
smile.gif

Kate x

starsky

Visit site
I used to regularly cross the A3 and M25 on bridges (at least 8 lanes!) Try and cross with someone who's horses have been before, but our didn't really bother. I think it scares the rider more.

berry

Visit site
I cross the M25 and A3 bridges dailey, my mare was really good when I took her across for the first time.
I dont think any of the horses at our yard have had a problem with them.
Like Starsky says try and cross with someone else horses feel safer when they are together.

Parkranger

Visit site
I think you'll be ok - if a horse was scared in that situation I'm guessing they would bolt forward not sideways. That is meant to reassure you in a weird way !

If she's generally good with traffic I think you'll be fine - like everyone else says just ride forward confidently!

pottamus

Visit site
Thanks guys. I will be on my own going over unless by luck I meet up with someone at that moment! He is more likely to stop and plant before it than bolt I think. But I feel we will be ok!

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would try to team up with someone who has got a nice steady horse. If this is a British Endurance ride I am sure that there will be stewards on both sides of the bridge.

What is the ride called and where is it? Are you doing the competitive or pleasure ride?

sham

Visit site
I rode my youngster over a motorway for the first time a few months back, she's natually very spooky but didn't bat an eyelid at going over.

Just don't look down..Its horrible!

_jetset_

Visit site
I have to ride over a motorway bridge everytime I go out for a hack... The first time I went over it I went in thye middle of the road and closed my eyes, but Hannah did not bat an eyelid.

Most horses I know have just walked straight over it without worrying, it's usually the owners that are a shaking wreck! I am sure you will be just fine... sing over it, it makes you relax!