Bridle lameness....

truffles

Visit site
Can anybody tell me a little about it, and whether it can be cured or not??

Thanks, sorry I'm being so daft, have heard of it, but don't really know much about it!

Bossanova

Visit site
It's not a true lameness- it's often due to too much contact with not enough leg or when you push a lazy horse beyond its natural rhythm. For some horses it becomes a habit and requires a bit of re-training

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It's not a true lameness- it's often due to too much contact with not enough leg or when you push a lazy horse beyond its natural rhythm. For some horses it becomes a habit and requires a bit of re-training

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks very much - I tried a horses today who had a mild 'case' of it, and just wanted to find out more about it.

Louby

Visit site
Sorry missed any earlier posts as I havent been on here for a while but just incase you are buying a horse I thought I would mention that my friends horse was thought to have it but he was scanned and it turned out to be a suspensary ligament problem!

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry missed any earlier posts as I havent been on here for a while but just incase you are buying a horse I thought I would mention that my friends horse was thought to have it but he was scanned and it turned out to be a suspensary ligament problem!

[/ QUOTE ]

Am just loaning for 6 months, so unless it gets any worse (verry mild) I probably wouldn't do that, but thanks anyway.
smile.gif

Was the horse sound when he was trotted up??

Louby

Visit site
My friend was struggling on one rein more than the other as most horses do. Hes a big horse with a gangly canter and we put it down to that first but it became more obvious on a circle and she had 'irregular' comments on her dressage sheets. He wasnt lame just odd on one rein when put up to the bridle. He never looked lame in the field but it got worse when ridden so he was scanned.

truffles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If bridle lameness, then horse should trot up sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah owner told me she does, but just asking if Louby's friend's horse did, because if not then bridle lameness doesn't have much to do with it I wouldn't have thought...

lorenababbit

Visit site
i am with boss and also sue dyson from animal heath tryst in newmarket. there is no such thing and if not a cunningly disguised real lameness is probably due to way horse being ridden or tacked up.

Louby

Visit site
Been thinking about this. I used to say to my friend if you chopped his head off, he would look sound. Sounds awful I know but couldnt think of another way to put it!! It was an odd nod which ended up a constant nod but his stride never seemed to alter at all.

Dutch

spaces.msn.com
It is not considered a lameness, in fact it is generally when a horse is behind the leg (lazy, does not respond when you use your legs) so, in actual fact, all that is needed is to ride more forward and more posititively.

Ofcourse if then the horse is still nodding then a vet needs to be called in,

Diana