Bridle Recommendation

silv

Visit site
I am looking for a bridle just for use at home, as already have a fancy show one.
Just want something reasonably cheap, have been looking at the following makes, Shires, John Whittaker and Mark Todd. Has anyone seen or used these makes? They seem well priced but I don't want Indian leather so would rather pay slightly more for English. I like the traditional look ie billets rather than buckles and don't need reins.
Have looked on Rideaway as they post to NZ at a reasonable price but open to any other website suggestions.
Thanks

Shay

Visit site
Shires are good. I have "inherited" John Whittaker tack (came with a horse) and really did not like the quality. In general terms I am not a fan of things where you pay extra for the name of a famous rider stamped on the kit. I don't have any Mark Todd tack but I did inherit a Mark Todd Under rug (again came with a horse) over a decade ago and I confess it is still going strong and one of my favorite pieces for him. (Still have that horse too!). So much so I would seriously consider breaking my self imposed ban on buying things with rider names on to replace it should I need to.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Have a look at Dever bridles. They do a classic range with English leather and the Ascot range, which is more affordable. I don't have any of their bridles, but I do have a beautiful plaited leather headcollar and it's still beautiful after 12 years of daily use.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I bought my 2 the shires avignon bridles with matching martingales, they are a lighter brown than Havana but I really like them, the leather is nice quality and they clean up lovely and they were all half price from hope valley saddlery, even my dressage diva instructor commented on them and said how nice they look.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I bought my 2 the shires avignon bridles with matching martingales, they are a lighter brown than Havana but I really like them, the leather is nice quality and they clean up lovely and they were all half price from hope valley saddlery, even my dressage diva instructor commented on them and said how nice they look.

I second the Shires Avignon bridles. I have the black one for my Connie and it always cleans well. Perfect for everyday use and very reasonably priced from Hope Valley.

Chappie

Visit site
I can highly recommend Evision bridles (based in UK) - they're about £100 though, which may be too much? Also I'm not sure of their postage rates abroad, sorry. They often have special offers and nice things in their sale though, worth looking on their Facebook.
I have a Mark Todd martingale, which is really nice leather, looks as good as new 2 years later - in general his range seem to be high quality. Also have a John Whitaker turnout which has stood up well - didn't buy those things for the name I must say and have not seen Whitaker tack myself. Have seen Shires and was happy enough to conside purchasing before I discovered Evision!

MuddyTB

Visit site
Have a look at Dever bridles. They do a classic range with English leather and the Ascot range, which is more affordable. I don't have any of their bridles, but I do have a beautiful plaited leather headcollar and it's still beautiful after 12 years of daily use.
I was going to say this too. I have a Dever Ascot bridle and it's really nice.

Reactions: DD

Pippity

Visit site
I started off with a Requisite bridle, which came up quite nicely once I'd conditioned the leather. Also, it actually had a browband that was big enough, which I've found to be extremely unusual. (Reins are horrible, though.) It's now something of a Frankenbridle with a Fylde noseband and an English Bridles clincher browband.

I do love the Fylde bridles, but they're around £110, so may be more than you're looking to spend.

Reactions: DD