Bridle shopping for the “common” head

SOS

Visit site
Looking for a new bridle for my lovely looking but very traditional/common hunter type horse. Slight roman nose and looks like a horse you’d see in an old book.

He doesn’t suit the extreme anatomical bridles or the thin/rolled ones. But finding anything decent that’s more traditional is proving difficult. Not opposed to slightly anatomical bridles as would like it to be comfy.

Must be dark brown.
Unfortunately must have a flash option.
No white stitching.
Ideally not silver fittings.
Max £150, doesn’t need to come with reins.

Any ideas? If it was a local/small business would be icing on the cake.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hmm, I was going to suggest Native Pony bridles as Kate makes to measure for all sizes.
(like cobs, as though they are broad across the front of head for noseband, they can also be quite short behind the jaw).
Yes she does decent hunter nosebands and you can get detachable flash straps. leather in all different widths
But she usually uses traditional silver fittings rather than brass etc, but might well be worth asking.
Don't be put off by the name, she does make all sizes and for a reasonable price x

SOS

Visit site

Thats interesting. I’m a bit unsure about the flash as seems to sit higher than a normal one? Thankyou for the suggestion.

Hmm, I was going to suggest Native Pony bridles as Kate makes to measure for all sizes.
(like cobs, as though they are broad across the front of head for noseband, they can also be quite short behind the jaw).
Yes she does decent hunter nosebands and you can get detachable flash straps. leather in all different widths
But she usually uses traditional silver fittings rather than brass etc, but might well be worth asking.
Don't be put off by the name, she does make all sizes and for a reasonable price x

Just had a look and from the website she seems to be quite open to putting together whatever would suit. Are they good quality?

WelshD

Visit site
English Bridles make a nice comfort type bridle in a traditional style. chunky cheeks and a nice cavesson noseband with detachable flash.
Buckles are silver coloured though.

Excellent customer service too and they go out of their way to help so may be able to do the brass buckles on request, they will mix and match parts to get the right fit.

the lady at Native Pony Bridles couldn’t be bothered to respond to me so I gave up trying to spend my money with her

Annagain

Visit site
English Bridles flat padded comfort bridle. I think you can choose the buckles - I chose stainless steel - and whether to have a flash attachment on the noseband. I love mine. Unfortunately Charlie doesn't so I've had to buy him a new anatomical one - the Saturn from Horsemanship Saddlery which is an anatomical one but I chose the hunter browband and noseband and it's almost 'normal' looking.

ETA - Charile definitely has a working class, if not common, head.

ETA again - this is the one. EB English Comfort Flat Padded Flash Bridle (englishbridles.co.uk)

Last edited:

mariew

Visit site
I have heard good things about English bridles. Or what about a traditional Jeffries bridle with a flash (or drop nose if you are trying to keep mouth closed)

Annagain

Visit site
Just to give you an idea...

This is the Horsemanship Saddlery one (bit / bridle fit expert advised me to get an extra large brow band for him as she felt he preferred it loose)
BPZoD3J.jpg

....and this is the EB one.
nX6keDJ.jpg

SOS

Visit site
Thankyou for all your suggestions. Have spent the past few days looking at them and trying to decide what I like. But think I’m going to order some parts for my broken elevator bridle. I love the quality and they come in some nice padded thick pieces.