Bridleways in Government's Walking and Cycling Strategy - emails

Suechoccy

Visit site
Hi, we've got till 11.45am tomorrow (Mon 23 May) to send a quick email.

Feel free to use one based on mine:

to: walking.cycling@dft.gsi.gov.uk
title:
Government Walking/Cycling Strategy

my text (amend to suit you!):
Dear Sir/Madam, Please can you amend the above strategy to also fully include equestrian use in its content and its title.

I totally support the Government's ambition to encourage walking and cycling in England but please let's not lose the opportunity at the same time to also include horse riding in this worthwhile ambition.

I am a horserider and owner, I am a cyclist (commuter and racing). In 1999 I formed Swavesey Bridleways to campaign for safe off road links between local villages. We achieved much of this in 2010 with the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway Bridleway, an 18km linear route alongside the busway, of tarmac and grass verge. It is wonderful for riding, cycling and walking on. It was an excellent use of public money, used inclusively rather than exclusively and provides a good role model for how access for non-motorised users should be achieved and provided.

I am now working on the A14 improvement plans for Cambridgeshire to ensure non-motorised user access and safe crossing points are included here. If there was a clear Government strategy in place, it would help me as a volunteer enormously with my efforts.

The more off-road equestrian routes which link places, the less horseriders will choose to use roads. Recent Government statistics showed 2820 cyclist injuries but 4052 horserider injuries from road accidents involving motor vehicles.

This strategy provides the ideal opportunity to remove the on-road dangers for all three non-motorised user groups rather than just for two of those groups.

I do hope my request is possible to include in the strategy.

Best wishes, (your name and your address)