Brightling Park Hunter Trials Report

helenandshadow

Visit site
We went to a HT at Brightling Park today. I had entered the 2'6'' and the 3' but I wasn't sure whether to do the 3' as she's just getting her confidence back and I don't want to do too much too soon. I walked the course yesterday and decided to definitely withdraw from the 3' because although there was a good grass covering the ground was quite hard and uneven in places. I thought the 2'6'' was quite small but a nice flowing course with well-built, varied fences.
grin.gif

We had a good drive there this morning and arrived really early. We went and got my number and put my number down near the beginning of my class, I was about 7th to go out of nearly 100. Waited around for a while then got ready and warmed up, she felt a bit lazy but she always does in the warm up. Went down to the start and someone had fallen off and they had to hold the course for about 20 mins.
crazy.gif

Eventually we started and we came flying out of the start box and got straight into a nice forward rhythm, usually she takes a few fences to get going but she was fab today, if a little strong! Got to number 5, an open ditch and she hesitated slightly but jumped it, no problems over the next few and through the water at 10, galloping and jumping brilliantly over the rest including the little drop at 14. We came galloping up the hill and over the chase fence at the last and through the finish CLEAR!!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I'm so pleased with my girl, she was a little star today and gave me a fantastic ride!!
laugh.gif
We didn't wait for the results as there were loads left to go, but we'll give them a ring in a few days and find out our time, we were probably too fast and I doubt we got placed as there were so many in my class.
crazy.gif
So pleased though!!
grin.gif
And we got home in time to watch Badders live!! (Well done Lucinda and Brit!!)
wink.gif
I bought a pro pic which I will post a link to when they go up on the website.
smile.gif

Sorry for the incredibly self indulgent and rather long post!
blush.gif

juliehannah58

Visit site
Well done Helen, I was there today with my friend (well, partly there, I gave up waiting for her 3'3 class in the end and came home
blush.gif
). Good on you to save Shadow for another day, I too thought the ground was less than ideal.

Fingers crossed you might get a place too! Well done, looking forward to pics
smile.gif

xx

helenandshadow

Visit site
Thank you!!
grin.gif
Yes I think it would've been a long wait until the 3'3'', I was home just after 1pm! Shad likes firm ground but it was very hard and quite uneven in some places, I was thinking of withdrawing anyway so the ground made up my mind. I might see if it's open for schooling though once we've had some rain and if she goes well the Intro in July could be a possibility!
laugh.gif

Hope your friend does/did well!
smile.gif

helenandshadow

Visit site
Thanks! She definitely seems to be getting her confidence back and I had a fab day!
grin.gif

Found out the optimum time was 4.18 and I was 4.37, so I was actually too slow, but I wouldn't have wanted to go any faster on the hard ground.
crazy.gif

Rambo

Visit site
Well done. Sounds like you had a great day and good on you for putting your horses legs first
smile.gif