Bringing 20 y/o back into work after 4 years + working livery?

joinedtoask

New User
Visit site
My girl was never ridden much anyway but she had a bad accident 4 years ago and was on box rest for 4 months. I had a lot going on at the time and just never got back around to bringing her back into work. She is very herd bound and screams her head off just leading her away from the field for grooming etc so aside from feeding and checking (she lives out 24/7) she has little contact with people and has 15 lovely acres to roam (with just 4 others!). She's 20 now and I am thinking maybe I should make some changes. She seems happy doing nothing but equally she was happy years ago when out on loan to two teen girls who doted on her and took her to shows every weekend. They moved on and bought their own eventually. Would like to do something like that again but obviously she's in no fit state to loan out to anyone right now and I simply don't have the time to bring her back on myself. A friend suggested working livery might be an option as a way to get her fit again. The school she works at is looking for horses her size and she does have a very sweet temperament (when not being a herd-bound idiot). I don't know that I like the idea of her being pulled about and ridden by lots of different people though, especially at her age? Obviously this will require thorough checking, lots of questions asked, agreement drawn up etc, but hoped to get some thoughts from people on here first? Also, would i need to get a saddle fitter out to check everything still fits etc?

Shooting Star

Visit site
Putting an essentially retired horse into a riding schools environment,no sorry I wouldn’t and I wouldn’t rate any riding school that would readily take on a horse in those circumstances either.

Getting a herd bound horse comfortable with being separated again can be a hard task and they can panic when separated, i would hope that no riding school would consider putting their clients at that sort of risk.

If you took the time to bring her back into work, sorting out the separation anxiety and if she coped and became fit enough maybe then for light work but straight from the field definitely not.

Regarding checking saddle fit absolutely yes for bringing back into any type of work and personally I’d get a vet health check too.

joinedtoask

New User
Visit site
I am assuming (and would certainly make sure) they would not take her straight on as a school horse right away until she was fit and ready. From what my friend says they would be willing to do this for me/ with me, although i must admit i can't see what the benefit to them would be until they can actually use her :/

Would it be better to send her onto schooling livery instead, or get someone to come out and work with her? It's a bit of a desert where we are, can't really ride out much and restricted to an outdoor menage. But we do have lots of acres for walking up and down!

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'm afraid I agree with shooting star. Whilst the new arrangements might suit you, I don't think your horse would be particularly happy in that environment, its a massive change for her to be torn away from the place she knows, and her friends and your familiarity and to go somewhere completely different where she would be expected to work hard for a living. If she is anxious which reading between the lines she appears to be in would be hell on earth for her being in a riding school environment. There must be a better option out there for her.

Inevitably going around a school in lots of circles wouldn't do her joints much good at that age when her body has not be conditioned for the work expected. After such a long time off I would expect it to take many months of fittening work to get her to a stage where she could participate in an hours lesson no matter who was riding her. I personally wouldn't consider doing that to my horse but then my circumstances are completely different. You say they would wait until she was fit and ready but that is lost profit to a school that is not using a horse so I think they would rush the process and she would end up getting injured or bullied into doing work that her body and mind is not capable of at that stage. And I still think she would be unhappy in that environment given your description of the life she has had to date. So no, I think its a bad idea.

Why do you feel the need to make the change now at 20? Presumably this is for financial reasons? Maybe a loan would be a better option at a reduced price for the first few months until the loaner got her fit again if you could persuade someone to loan her off you with these conditions in place? Someone sensible that could look at the longer term picture? I think a one to one home would be much better for an anxious horse anyway. I wish you luck whatever you decide, having to make these decisions can't be easy.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
I did bring a 20 year old "retired" pony back into work a couple of years ago but it was done very slowly with a competent, if inexperienced young rider, he had a vet and physio check and did a lot of steady walking, then trotting to build up the muscles he didn't have.
I think it took 6 months to get him relatively fit and his core muscles built up and now 2 years later he is like a different pony but he is still not as strong physically as he probably would have been if he had not had a long break, we are very aware that he is slightly stiff at times, he needs to be out in the field as much as possible and is best if ridden 5 days a week, I am not sure what he would think about 2-3 hours a day and would expect your mare to be similar in her requirements, can a busy RS really take 3-4 months to build her up, will they accept she may not be up to a full work load at her age?

If she were mine I would leave her to live out her days where she is happy, she may be herd bound but that is not an issue for her and will only be an issue for you if she suffers an injury that requires stabling, in which case you deal with it then or make a decision to pts rather than subject her to months of box rest, she is unlikely to feel she is missing out by not being ridden.

pippixox

Visit site
If she has been happy the last 4 years then I would leave her be. Since having children my horses have mostly lived out, just checked and fed. They are very happy just being horses!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
A little light hacking with plenty of time to get her a bit fittened up again, yes, she'd probably enjoy poodling around.

But a Riding School?? FFS Nooohhhh!!!! If as you say she's "just the sort of type they're looking for" then she'll be worked to death, poor old gal. It would be a crying shame if you let that happen to her!

Perhaps there's a local person who'd enjoy spending time with her and riding her out? (and who might give you something towards shoes?? - IF expense is a problem).

Having had my old boy on working livery at an equestrian college AND a riding school in the past, that is a lifestyle which is fine for non-veteran horses but not for an oldie!

IF - and I say if, for whatever reason you can't afford to keep her anymore, then there's no shame in making the decision to PTS at home, peacefully. But PLEASE don't let her move from where she is and loan her out to all and sundry, or let a riding school have her. She deserves better.

fredflop

Visit site
Check with the riding school what work they would be doing. I know of riding schools that have older horses that are fit to do a few lessons a week and that is all they get

mums the groom

Visit site
I personally would leave her where she is, she is equivalent to a 60 year old human and I don't think you'd ask a 60 year old to work full time after being retired for 4 years - not having a go, you know what is best for your horse

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
definitely not working livery!!!!! she is 20 and if she has to be taken away for some reason you should be able to find someone to loan her as a happy hacker but no schooling or jumping apart from the occasional log on a hack.....if she was mine and i didnt want to ride she would stay where she was and PTS if she became uncomfortable in the field....

MDB

Visit site
No, I would not put her through this either. And she isn't a "herd bound idiot", she is a horse displaying normal behaviour after living for 4 years with her herd. I would either put in the work myself to bring her back into whatever work you want, or leave her be.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I am currently bringing back into work an 11 year old mare who has done NO work since she was 4, for various reasons including vet cock-ups. She is in good health and carerying plenty of condition but after 6 weeks of light lunging and long lining, she is still as weak as a kitten! We've sat on her for a few seconds, but try and avoid cantering on the lunge. For a horse the age of yours, joinedtoask, it would take at least twice as long. We don't expect to start riding Sally for at LEAST another 6 weeks - and then it will be quite a lightweight and VERY experienced rider for 15-20 minutes at a time. A 20 year old will take a lot longer, particularly if she suffers separation anxiety. My mare did for a couple of days when she left the 'crock mares group' but has now settled down with another friendly mare - living out. I really think no riding school proprietor in their right mind would take this on - and I really don't think it will be what she wants.

paddi22

Visit site
The chances are at her age she would be arthritic, and would be much better off moving freely 24/7 instead of being stabled, where she will get stiff. Alsong with the stresses and pressure doing tight turns on a surface will have on a stiff older horses. I would not be happy having unbalanced novice riders bouncing along on a older horse like that. I'd genuinely PTS before I'd put that horse in an kind of hard work. If she was mine and I wanted her back in work it would be light hacking, and every easy work.

SadKen

Visit site
Responsible RS usually retire their older horses, in their teenage years, to private homes, where they can have an easier life.

Ours didn't do that - they were all in some form of work until their late 20s.

However - 'work' then was likely walking round the school on a lead rein with the occasional trot to the back of the ride. We also went out down the lanes, again on lead rein in walk. Fast work was very limited and restricted to those who enjoyed it. And the odd one who took off for fun.

The horses were very fit and well, we had no lami or colic, and I think they kept muscle and condition better for this - it's like my 80yo father in law still cycling, it has kept him much more well than if he had stopped, since he retained the capability to do it. However, from what I have seen of the modern RS it's a different kettle of fish - faster work, fewer horses, no breaks within the lesson to catch breath.

I wouldn't put anything over 15 through that and definitely nothing that had had a long time off. It's just too much to ask. I'd leave this girl in the field, as she's happy there.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ours kept working well into their 20s too but it was tailored to their current abilities so some were still doing 3 hours a day (max 2 lessons 1 hack), others just did a few lightweight riders from the disabled groups that visited in the week and generally did a half hour round the fields and occasionally used for hour walk hacks.

My issue with this is that this horse has done nothing for four years. We did have a couple arrive with that sort of circumstance, some did improve from it (but mostly because they had been borderline neglected in their previous homes), but it wouldn't be my choice for a personal horse.