Bringing a horse back into work after RIDER injury

StephBiscuit

Visit site
I came off Jazz on the beach in the middle of March, landing on my feet which resulted in me breaking both my tibia and fibula in my left leg. I needed an operation to put a nail in my tibia and a small skin graft where my fibula popped out the skin.
Hoping to return to riding at the end of May/ early June, but wondering how it would be best to bring him back into work after two/ three months grazing in the field. All I can find on Google is about bringing horses back into work after they have been injured, rather than the rider!
Thanks in advance :)!

Polos

Visit site
I am the queen of breaking myself and am currently on box rest at the moment.

I am fortunate enough to be based with my trainer so someone has always kept them in work for me (mainly lunging and walker but they will be schooled occasionally too). As they are all fit competition horses who are used to being in hard work it was more problematic to do nothing with them as they literally climb the walls (T/O isn't really an option for one as she hates it and my other two can go out but its rare until spring)

There was one exception to this where my little one had a 4 month holiday with me too (his only daily exercise was to play in the school for a couple of hours) and he came back better than ever so it did him the world of good.

If I where you, I'd be seeing if there was anyone that could start lunging him a couple of times a week in preparation for you getting back on now and then by thee end of May he should hopefully be ready for you to get back on. I don't know if he is the type to get fresh when coming back into work but I always had someone lunge for me before I'd get on for the first few rides as I din't really fancy getting bucked off and going back to hospital!

StephBiscuit

Visit site
Thank you - he's a coblet, so not really inclined to get fresh unless he's stuck indoors all the time. Will ask someone to lunge him for me though :)!

Polos

Visit site
you should be ok then, especially given the fact he's getting T/O too

I'd still probably give a little lunge before I get on the first time though but that's just me

Good luck with everything :)

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I have recently begun riding again after a break of over 2 months. I took my horse to my instructor for a few days and they lunged and rode her for me before I got on. Although I have been riding for over a month now I am still very unfit. My instructor warned me about someone else getting my horse too fit before I rode as my unfit muscles would not cope! We are therefore taking it slowly together.
Good luck.

StephBiscuit

Visit site
I'm fixed now :)! Had an appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon yesterday, and he said that my tibia and fibula have both mended (although the fistula has mended a bit wonky), and I am now fit to go back to work at the stables and ride :)!

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I'm fixed now :)! Had an appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon yesterday, and he said that my tibia and fibula have both mended (although the fistula has mended a bit wonky), and I am now fit to go back to work at the stables and ride :)!

Great news.

pansymouse

Visit site
My tip after a similar but not as serious accident is make sure you can get off before you get on! I ended up on a 17.3hh with no idea how I was going to get off without reinjuring my legs. In the end I threw myself onto the muck heap for a soft landing but get stuck there because my legs were not strong enough to get up from sitting on the ground. After that I used the mounting block for dismounting (why the hell I didn't think of that in the first place I have no idea).

Wimbles

Visit site
Excellent news that you're ready to ride. After 7 months off riding after nearly managing to detach my arm I found that I was happiest going for a hack. The horse was going forwards happily on a path and I didn't have to think too much about actually riding.

mynutmeg

Visit site
Ideally have someone else ride once or twice for you to make sure horse is going to be sensible.
Top tip for getting off - swing over and lie on your stomach on the saddle, hold the far side saddle flap and slide down holding some weight on your arms to minimise the impact on your legs.
Don't be surprised if your get sore with normal stirrups - I find flexible stirrups are really helpful

mjcssjw2

Visit site
mmm. i am currently in this position after being hit by a car out riding, i have my instructor exercising my two a few times a week, but am a bit worried about knowing when my leg is strong enough to be upto any shenanigans, it feels so weak :-( i still have a couple of weeks before rexray though, think it might then be physio

case895

Visit site
I was knocked off my bike and fractured 4 vertebrae and a year later suffered a blocked jejenum requiring surgery. Instructor rode, friends ride, wife lunged. When ready I lunged to death then got on with air jacket and body protector on. That is my RAMS.