Bringing a horse back into work

Copperpot

Visit site
He's not been ridden since September last year. He lives out and keeps himself fairly fit by cantering about.

Would you just get on and go for a walk? I can't lunge him as he's not to do much in the way of circles.

I walked him in hand one day last week for 20 mins round the roads and he was fine, although at 16.3 I'd kinda feel safer on board than leading him.

I'd prefer to start off on the roads as he likes a buck and tends to not do it so much on the roads.

I had thought of long reining and I have done this with him previously but it was on a private track and no 60mph country lane traffic to contend with like there is now!

zaminda

Visit site
Could you long rein him round his field? If he is generally ok to ride, I'd just hop on. At work, we often use a spot of sedelin when bringing horses back in.

Copperpot

Visit site
Ah that's a good idea. I may do that. He is an all or nothing boy. He will either be a saint or will bronc and buck the whole way. I just won't know which til I'm up there lol. Maybe a spot of sedalin will help.

Copperpot

Visit site
Today I decided to man up and just get on. He was an angel. Felt lovely to be back on him. Although he used to scare the ***** out of me sometimes, I've missed riding him :)