Bringing an elderly horse back into work ...... stupid idea??

CazD

Visit site
My pony is 24 in May. I've owned her for 19 years so know most of her history. She's only ever really been in light work. She's been out of work totally this year due to various family problems. She's always been healthy, although does have cushings now. I'm really missing riding though and am wondering whether it would be wrong to try riding her again.

be positive

Visit site
You won't know if you don't try, we brought a 20 year old back into work last year, he had been retired for about 2 years and was rather weak with no topline and a dipped back, he had some physio before starting and was brought back very gently as a first pony, he is now jumping happily over small courses and has been placed in most of his dressage outings, he has muscled up and seems to be thriving on the work and attention from his young rider, I can see him going on for many more years.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Can't see any reason why not, some kids ponies are 'retired' due to lack of a rider and then come back into work when there's someone suitable to ride them. And if she was fit and sound, there's no reason she shouldn't be able to cope.

Just take things slowly to start and enjoy her!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I can't see an issue! my mare was in work until she was about 28, and due to a snowy winter and a few health problems she lost a lot of muscle and I got fatter, so I never rode her again, as i felt guilty as she was only 15hh and not the big strong horse she once was, so she was retired expect she'd occasionally take my nice or little cousins for a plod up the lane, which she really loved doing!

but at 24 she was probably the best she'd ever been!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My old horse was mid 30's when he came home from a loan home and I started lightly hacking him again. The difference it made to him was massive. He gained weight and just got his sparkle back. No-one believed he was anywhere near the age he was. He'd been retired a few years previously due to loaners vet diagnosing a heart problem. I had this checked by my vet first and they couldn't find anything!
He quietly hacked for about a year until I lost him to colic. He looked fabulous til the end and bringing him back into work was the best thing I ever did.

DD265

Visit site
I tried and although ultimately it didn't work out for us, we had a great couple of months hacking out. It's worth a try and if you don't succeed then she can go back into retirement.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
If he's sound I honestly believe it's the best thing for the oldies, gentle hacking helps weight,muscle tone and gives them a little spark, gives them a purpose in life as well.
All my oldies thrive on work, retired one and it was the worst thing I ever done, he's not ridden but I lead him off another and he has his spark back

Crazydancer

Visit site
Second all of the above - due to my illness my lad was semi-retired for a few years, then due to circumstance, I started hacking him again. Lightly to start, now he gets hacked average 3 times a week at 1 - 3 hours each time and have had to have the saddler reflock his saddle as he's put topline on, he'll be 25 in the spring! He still loves going out and in fact got stupidly over-excited at a fun ride in the autumn and you'd have thought he was 4 not 24!! Just take it slowly and build up gently, sounds like a fab idea! :)