Bringing an old horse back into work ?

canteron

Visit site
My old horse was retired 3 years ago due to persistent lameness. But I am thinking about bringing her back, as a light hack, she has seemed pretty sound for a year or so. I think we would both enjoy it!
She is now 24. How would you go about it?

Last edited:

Flicker

Visit site
Probably start in hand, long reining. You will want her to develop some topline to carry you and the saddle, so if you can get her to step over anything to lift her back, that’s always good. I’d probably start with sessions of about 5-10 minutes and build from there. Be consistent - better to do shorter sessions everyday than sporadic longer ones because those increase the risk of injury.
Make it fun for her.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Lots of walking in hand to start with.

Just a 30 minute walk a few days a week over a few ground poles round the perimeter of my 40m x20m arena makes a massive difference to my retired senior Cushing’s mare.

She’s just in a headcollar and lunge rein. If I was going to ride her, once she’d built up some muscle I’d put her saddle on for her arena walks for a month or so before hopping on.

sjdress

Visit site
My veteran mare was brought back into work. I started with some in hand walking for a couple of weeks and then 6 weeks ridden walking, starting with 15-20 mins. The rest did her the world of good and she felt fab hacking again. Once back in work hacking for a year or so I started schooling again. All was going well but she started to struggle cantering on a small circle again, however hacking in straight lines she is fine and thoroughly enjoys it So we just keep it short and sweet!

canteron

Visit site
If she had issues with persistent lameness and she is now field sound in all fairness to her I would leave her as she is enjoying her time in a field. With a horse of that age you will only aggravate her issues and she may never become field sound again.

I get your point - she is only really unsound on hard ground in Summer - I mainly gave up because I couldn’t get her fit enough to do what I wanted then and decided not to go down the diagnostic route as she is pretty needle phobic (she came that way as a battered youngster 18 years ago).
All I want her to do now is walk round a couple of fields with my youngster to get it going!

The vet (and physio) are fine with it so I think we will give it a go, just curious with peoples advice - always lots of experience on HHO!!

J&S

Visit site
Both my vet and farrier suggested that I should ride my retiree. She is 23 going on 24 now and was retired at 18. The rest in the field with just tiny walks with the grand children during the summers has left her sound and happy. I started leading her out with her companion during lockdown 1 and then one day just hopped on and led the companion from her. We just did a 20 minute circuit to start but now we can go for an hour or so. Mostly walking , trotting up hills, I have even had a little canter when my step daughter rides the companion. I make sure to keep her in her comfort zone, I do not do any schooling ridden at all but we did quite a lot of in hand work during this summer and this definitely strengthened her up. She will let me know if she is unhappy!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have said this on here before, sorry anyone who’s heard it all before!

I put my old horse on loan to a wonderful family we knew to nanny their children’s ponies out on the roads. Children grew up, ponies got outgrown and moved on. My horse retired with heart problems aged 30 something.
I decided to have him back. I’d always sworn he’d end his days with me.
He came back, I found a little livery yard for him but sadly winter turnout was fairly limited. Wanting to keep him moving I got back on!
We had the very best last few years, he really thrived and looked amazing with his new routine. He actually thought my daughter, then about 4/5 to ride. It was the best thing I ever did. I know it won’t work for them all but I’d give it a try!

canteron

Visit site
Thank you so much for you lovely stories - I am quite excited - I completely loved riding this horse so just have everything crossed we can make it to the potter round the fields stage. But first I need my walking boots ....... ?

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Long walks out hacking they love. Start at 20mins and work upwards over time to 1.5hrs. Beware though - age is no barrier to being a clown out on a hack. My old eventer, if I accidentally press the wrong button when I think I’m asking for trot, I get p*** off at very forward canter. I had to go back and apologise to a lady walking her dogs that we barrelled past full tilt, a little out of control.

We had an oldie that became a paddock terrorist when he retired. He had to be put back into work just so we could protect his paddock mates. He would chest the gates off their hinges if he was bored.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
In my teens I was given/permanently loaned, as you say these days, a similar aged horse, he'd been retired as had no rider, the people that owned him had a young family, they had money but no time for him, I had time but no money, so ideal all round. I was thrilled to have him, he was kind and gentle. They couldn't find his tack, so every night after school, I walked him out in hand. Further and further each week. Eventually we were going miles over the fields. Without realising, this was the best thing I could have done because after they found his saddle and bridle in the back of their shed (!) he was fit enough to ride. We had 8 wonderful years together, he enjoyed jumping and we spent many happy days bombing around jumping everything and anything in our way as you do when you're a teenager. Happy memories.

exracehorse

Visit site
My 21 year old is retired. But every now and then I throw the tack on and take her for a potter around the orchards. She lives out 24/7 so is active in the field anyway.

claret09

Visit site
go for it. little and often is definitely the secret. my boy is in full work at 23 but he has had no issues. i generally ride 5/6 days a week for between 20 and 40 minutes depending on the weather and what we feel like doing. i really believe that regular work makes a massive difference. we regularly compete both on the flat and jumping although i don't jump him as much or as high as he would like, he is far, far to precious. we are looking forward to going out once lockdown finishes on the 2nd of december. i am incredibly lucky to have an amazing friend who comes and give him physio /reiki every week. take your time and bring your horse back into work slowly, they always let you know what they want to do. regular, quiet exercise does them the power of good. have fun

little_critter

Visit site
My girl (19/20) has been retired for 3 years. I was grumbling about the fact she’s a good doer and when not in work it’s hard to control her weight. I had been hand walking her a bit but struggled to find time to do it.
A sharer on the yard had a daughter who was keen to learn to ride, so we decided to try pairing them up (with the caveat that if my pony wasn’t enjoying it we would stop). So for the last month or so the girl has been learning the basics on my pony. It’s not taxing for my pony and the girl doesn’t weigh much.
The girl is loving it and my pony is enjoying the attention.
I also hopped on last week for a hack round the block. I didn’t push her at all, if she didn’t want to trot she didn’t have to but she enjoyed herself and was cheeky as she always used to be.

Flicker

Visit site
And don’t forget to do some nice side to side and downward carrot stretches with her to engage those core muscles and keep her supple (and as a lovely post-ride treat).