Bringing an older horse back into work after a while off

joulsey

Visit site
I am bringing my share horse back into work. I last rode about November, and we mainly did hacking once a fortnight, sometimes even less due to various reasons. She used to live out so did maintain some level of fitness, but we are now at another yard and she hasn't got as much turnout as usual, so I want to get her moving again and start bringing her back into work as I can see she is starting to get quite stiff. She's 24.

Hacking around us isn't brilliant and as soon as we go out of our yard its all downhill, which is not very good with the recent ice we have been having, and especially with the dark mornings/nights I would only be able to get her out about once a week an so I am going to start taking her in the school, just walking for a couple of weeks and hacking when possible.

Anybody got any schooling suggestions to keep things interesting whilst we are just walking and getting her used to things? We are going to build it up from 15 minutes, and although the arena is a decent size, I am worried about doing to many circles etc.

LinzyD

Visit site
Good on you. I have just brought my 18 year-old pony back in to hunting after three years in the field and she's loving it.
Some ideas for things in the school in walk (I do these with my niece when she's having a nervous episode!)
- walk halt transitions at every marker in the school, or every corner, then reduce down to every 10 strides, 8 strides, 6 strides, etc. By the time you've done that on both reins your 15 mins are up. Focus on a really square halt and decide on how many seconds the halt is going to be and vary that too. It keeps you alert as well as the pony.
- riding really straight lines up the centre line and the 3/4 line on both reins, again incorporating halt transitions.
- riding through an Intro or Prelim dressage test entirely in walk, focusing on the accuracy of the shapes.
- varying the speed and type of the walk between different markers, e.g. medium walk, free walk, etc.
- use some poles, not necessarily to walk over but to walk between, with halts that have to be exactly parallel with the line of the pole, you could vary where you place them around the arena.
Then all of those things work with trot included too.
Have fun

Snat20

Visit site
My boy is now 27 and still very happy to be in work. He always has from about mid Oct - end Feb off work and we gradually work up to being fit enough to ride prelim dressage in the summer and enjoy a good blast down the beach :)

Due to daylight I can only hack at the weekend so I go in the school and send him marching for about 10 mins to start with and then build up. Once I have got to 30 mins I start collecting him back up and work more on shapes and walk halt transitions. I do things like lengthen stride down the long sides and short strides on the short sides. Gradually bring in a bit of trot and wont canter him until I get him quite fit out on hacks as well. I generally go with how he is feeling, which is usually 'wheeeeee go faster' !!! Good luck!

misskk88

Visit site
I am now bringing my near 18 year old back into work. She was last ridden in October and has been turned away since then, out 24/7, rugged with a huge field shelter and plenty of adlib hay. I grabbed her in the other day and the time off and constant turn out has done her so much good! I think the 24/7 turn out, and chance to just be a horse for a few months is something I will do every year with her now.

We will be doing the same as you, lots of walk work to begin with, then building the time, but I will then be introducing trot and canter work. The aim is to have her fit enough to hack out and school 4ish times a week, with the odd trip out on the lorry to hack. I don't believe she would hold up to too much more than some low level easy going stuff with the odd blast, and so I aim to enjoy her for what she can still do and is happy doing!

I agree with LinzyD suggestions, some very good ideas to work on (and some I may steal!). Have fun, and keep us updated- would love to see some pics!

Also Snat - I hope my horse is as fit and happy at that age!

pipper

Visit site
i have a 22 year old dressage mare - i worry myself sick if i only manage to ride her a couple of times a week that she is going to seize up!! she shows no signs of stiffness, but she has definatly slowed down this year. I take comfort in the fact that others on this thread give their oldies a couple of MONTHS off with no adverse effects! I wonder if time off can often mean losing topline in older horses? what are your thoughts?

misskk88

Visit site
Pipper you raise a good point. This was one of my worries when I first considered giving my horse time off, but actually it has done her absolute wonders and unless she required ridden work daily (ie to appropriately manage arthritis as with a lot of older horses) I would certainly do it again next year, even if for a shorter time. I think it entirely depends on individual circumstances, including the horse. For example I had access to 24/7 turn out, so my horse could move at free will, and so there was less worry about her standing and seizing up.

The time off my horse has had came about as she was unsound. It wasn't part of my planned routine, however I considered her age, the time of year, current fitness, ailments etc before making the decision. I felt she had never had the chance to just be a horse since her ridden career (she was a very successful showjumper before I owned her), and that the time off would allow whatever was lurking to properly disappear (the vet found nothing and after a few days absolutely letting rip in the field before she went lame we can only assume she tweaked something. After box rest, and then trotting up sound with flexion tests, lunging etc showing absolutely zilch, he said she would be ok to either have some time off, or to continue with work as usual). For various reasons, I felt she needed, wanted and deserved a break and for us to start again in better weather. I had a perfect opportunity for her to be turned out 24/7, with company, huge field shelter, checked several times a day, and I felt I would be silly not to offer her a bit of recuperation. Apart from losing a little muscle, the turn out and time off has actually done her a world of good. She looks really well, chilled out, and any tension from ridden work has disappeared, so I aim to use what I have as a bit of a blank canvas to make for a better horse in future.

I think there are so many other factors at play when choosing to turn your horse away. My decision to rest her for that length of time would be different IF: I felt she would not benefit or that she would become stiff, if the vets had found anything that needed investigating and she was best to do some gentle work i.e arthritic changes, if her ridden career was more competitive and the time off would not benefit her in terms of muscle/fitness, if I didn't have access to 24/7 turn out, if I didn't have access to a field buddy, if my gut didn't tell me it wasn't the right thing to do.

People will have different experiences with their horses, but I have found that actually, it has done her a world of good! If I knew how to post a picture I would do a comparison of her last year, to this year!

joulsey

Visit site
i have a 22 year old dressage mare - i worry myself sick if i only manage to ride her a couple of times a week that she is going to seize up!! she shows no signs of stiffness, but she has definatly slowed down this year. I take comfort in the fact that others on this thread give their oldies a couple of MONTHS off with no adverse effects! I wonder if time off can often mean losing topline in older horses? what are your thoughts?

When this horse was out 24/7 I didn't worry too much as she was always moving, and she only lost the teeniest bit of topline. But now she is stabled for most of the day due to turnout I feel awful that I haven't been riding her. She looks great condition wise and her topline hasn't worsened at all since being stabled