Bringing back in to work after laminitis

holeymoley

Visit site
Hello, a lot of you may know my guy had a severe case of laminitis in November caused by insulin resistance. It was a ghastly experience for both him and I, with him having 11• and 13• rotation in the fronts. He was on a lot of bute initially then remedially shod in January when he was out of the acute phase. He went on and off bute during this time as he had a couple of ‘sore’ periods through this time due to seromas forming. Basically once these were found and dealt with he became sound.

He has been sound for 15 weeks now. His last x Rays in March showed the rotation had been corrected to 1• in each hoof with the positive prognosis that with more new hoof growth it would be 0• in both. Since March he has had the go ahead to do in hand walking out from 20/30minutes per day to being gradually increased. I’ve managed to vary types of terrain during this from mainly concrete(requested by vet) to grass, rougher tarmac, and laterally stoney tracks where he is completely sound. He will also jog/trot if the notion takes him.

At present he is still not allowed grass however has turn out on a dry patch with varying terrain(some stones, dry mud) where he is turned out for half the day. We have an assessment this Tuesday and hopefully we receive positive news. My vet can sometimes be a bit vague unless the right questions are probed, so my question here is would he be able to start with light riding? I will of course ask the vet but I would like input from others in the same situation. I personally would not want to risk anything to undo recovery however he is mentally bored and wanting to do more. I’ve owned him for 14 years and he puts his head down keen for his bridle to be put on now! It’s as if he’s asking for something to do. Hoof wise, his feet are looking fantastic, farrier is very happy with him and says he has good hard quality hoof. He is still in heartbars to encourage the correct balance of the hoof. New hoof is about 1/2- 2/3s of the way down.

Will obviously not do anything without vet consent but just wondering thoughts here. I have read various things about being so long after being on bute and the same length of time sound as they were lame...

Thank you for reading.

Britestar

Visit site
Mine had rotation a bit worse than that in all 4 feet (toxic laminitis). He actually box rested for 11 months, then started walking in hand, building up to turnout at 13 months. He then was turned out daily on a hill, and very little grass for another 8 months, with in hand walks. Finally 18 months after the initial attack, I got on him again.

His was very severe, and twice we waited on a call from the Vet School, as to whether he would be PTS, so his recovery was very drawn out.

He came back into full work, and 10 months after the first sit, was back at RC Music Champs, and did Quadrille!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would start with walking for about 10 minutes daily then slowly increase, because it's been a box rest time off I would walk for at least 5 weeks then just start short bits of trot.

holeymoley

Visit site
Brilliant outcome Britestar. Sounds like you went through a heck of a time.

Thanks Pinkvboots. Sounds like the best plan. Tried his saddle on tonight so think he may need refitted for that too!