Bringing back into work with less than perfect facilities?

atropa

Visit site
I have been given the go ahead by my vet to start bringing my navicular mare back into work for the first time since her diagnosis. He warned me against riding her on very deep ground, and also against going faster than a walk on hard surfaces at the minute.

I wasn't expecting her to be able to be ridden again so quickly, and unfortunately she is currently kept at a yard with less than ideal riding facilities for this kind of thing. I have at my disposal:

- one smallish (possibly 20x30?), extremely deep outdoor woodchip school
- a hardcored/grassy area of the yard I could walk around
- a few reasonably level, sloping fields which I could ride in provided they are dry enough (they were perfect yesterday but unfortunately it has now been raining all night and due to rain all weekend)
- hacking wise, two very busy, very fast roads which terrify me (traffic comes off the motorway and shoots down them, giant lorries etc). My horse isn't spooky in traffic but picks up badly on my nerves and plays up. These roads lead to two forests with hardcore tracks, about 5 minutes walk and 20 minutes walk away respectively.

I will of course be starting out very, very slowly with 5 minutes work at a time at first as she has been out of work for a long time, but is anyone able to suggest a possible workable routine with the above facilities? Obviously I would prefer to do straight line work with her, but this might not always be possible if the school and yard are my only options during rainy periods.
The roads terrify me, but I wondered about possibly using them absolute last thing at night when they are quieter, or even hiring a pro to hack her out on them a few times a week when she's up to it.

I don't have access to a trailer but could hire one possibly a few times a month to box to more suitable hacking if this would help.

I'll be looking for somewhere more suitable for her to livery but unfortunately from past experience this is likely to be a long, slow and painful process in the area I'm in, and additionally complicated by the fact that I can't move her outside of her current farrier's covered area at the moment.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Would you feel more confident leading her along the busy road? Maybe with someone else with you? If so, I would lead her to the nearest off road riding, when you have started her off on the yard.

atropa

Visit site
Would you feel more confident leading her along the busy road? Maybe with someone else with you? If so, I would lead her to the nearest off road riding, when you have started her off on the yard.

Unfortunately not, the one time I tried her on the road I was leading her, me between her and the traffic and also my boyfriend on foot, talking away to him to remember to keep breathing...one minute she was next to me and the next she'd whipped round and was trotting back up the road into the path of oncoming lorries etc. Thankfully nothing bad came of it but it's seared into my memory. I may be able to have boyfriend lead her inside as he is calmer and bigger.