Bristol uni/Bristol people and hello

Winifred

Visit site
Firstly hello I'm new. I have 2 horses, a 14.2 PBA mare who I have had for 10 years and done pretty much everything on and we now just concentrate on hunting! Last year I bred her and have a lovely (biased) yearling filly by McGuigan who I will bring on. Have been bitten by the breeding bug, so more to follow....

Just wondering if there is anyone here who is from bristol and/or goes to the uni. Starting a masters there next month and planning to bring my mare, but need to find a decent livery yard that is within driving distance from city centre. Preferably with an indoor school, decent hacking, turnout and will need to do part livery.

Any suggestions gratefully received! Thank you!
smile.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
Hello
smile.gif

I am at bristol uni, just going into my 3rd year which is based at the clinical vet school at langford. There are plenty of yards around, how far are you prepared to travel/day? Whereabouts will you be living in Bristol? the traffic to get out through the centre is an absolute nightmare and worth planning for- I ride a pony 7miles out of the centre but pick the wrong time and it takes an hour to get there.
I'm bringing my horse this year and she's going in part livery down on the Mendips which may be a bit too much of a trek for you....

Oh and we bred a McGuigan filly out of our fleetwater opposition mare last year, she's now a yearling and simply gorgeous
grin.gif

Ginn

Visit site
Hello!!!

I'm also at Bristol!
I have just finnished 2 years of my physics degree but after much thought have just jumped ship over to the vet school and am about to start my second year (again) in Anatomical Science with Vet anatomy.

What are you doing your masters in? Not sure I'd be too much help with livery yards as I live at home 25miles outside Bristol and keep my horse at home with me (also a youngster). However, there are lots of good livery yards around so Im sure you'll find something.

Patchwork

Visit site
Hello!

I'm about to start an Anatomical Science with Vet Anatomy degree at Bristol! I'll be watching this post with interest although my horse is staying at home for now
smile.gif

Patchwork

Visit site
Yep - Manor Hall (thanks for your advice in my earlier post!)
smile.gif

I'm now busy figuring out just exactly how much debt I'm going to be in this time next year...
crazy.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
ace- well Manor has thwe advantage of being the cheapest.....
I have a good friend on the JCR there... James Knowles.... so will prob be dropping in at some stage- shall PM you when I'm around
smile.gif

Ginn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm about to start an Anatomical Science with Vet Anatomy degree at Bristol!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe! Snap! Will most likely see you a fair bit then!

Winifred

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Am doing my masters in nutrition, physical activity and public health, looking forward to it but just need to get my backside in gear!

Bossanova I was planning to live in the city centre and drive out, max prefered about half an hour. Traffic sounds hell though - do think it would be easier living a bit furthur out and then getting the bus in - only have 2 days of lectures. Mendips is probably a bit too much of a trek! Have you got any pictures of your filly - need to figure out how to post them but will when I figure it out! My mare will hopefully go back to him next spring.

Bossanova

Visit site
Prob would be easiest to live a bit out then, have you looked into any yards in particular? If it were me I'd live near to the horse and travel to uni!

Beanyowner

Visit site
I live in Bristol but am at Uni in Gloucester.

I know lots of yards over towards East Bristol (Kingswood/Wick/Oldland area)...don't know any with indoor scools though I'm afraid...can give you some numbers of yards though if you are willing to comprimise on the indoor school!
smile.gif
Most have outdoor floodlit schools.

Winifred

Visit site
Not really bothered where I live, just so long as I can avoid sitting in my car for ages going nowhere! Anywhere that has facility for me to ride after dark is great - don't mind indoor or outdoor school. Found two yards - Toghill Farm and Oakleze Farm but only from looking on the internet. Beaneyowner if you have any numbers I would really appreciate that.