British Bulldogs

Suelin

Visit site
Just picking brains here. My stepson and his partner have a 10 month old British Bulldog bitch. Not my cup of tea as I have issues with extreme breeding in anything but for all that she is the most delightful character. Really sweet girl. I know that the breed has potential problems due to their extreme type but this one has started to have head shaking issues. She didn't seem stressed by this oddly but it is obviously not right. It is like an uncontrollable tremor. They managed to film it happening so that their vet had something to see. They seem unsure about what will happen next, how often etc and the overall prognosis. I feel the vet is a bit in the dark as well.

Does anyone on here know anything about the breed and have any information about this condition please?

Many thanks

wipeout

Visit site
Bulldog Rescue have quite a list of Bulldog health issues on their website. I looked on there recently for Bulldog eye info so you may find shaking listed. The list is huge!

Vizslak

Visit site
''Head Shakes: Rather like a fit, but effecting just the head, which will involuntary shake from side to side (or up and down), sometimes violently enough to cause their lips to flap about. The dog is conscious and aware of what is happening. We have always found them to be linked to stress which may cause the blood sugar level to drop enough to trigger the head shake. Giving some glucose or runny honey to bring the blood sugar level back up should help although distraction often stops the shaking. If you are unable to link the attack to a specific stressful incident or a recent period of over excitement then your bulldog may be in pain and it is advisable that you get your vet to check him over. Note, many vets are unfamiliar with this breed specific condition and sometimes mis diagnose epilepsy.''

I found this on this site http://www.bulldogrescue.co.uk/health.htm I would suggest they try to find a vet specifically aware of bulldog issues, a lot of breed specific problems are almost completly unknown to the majority of vets. One that knows the breed is likely to be of much more use and liekly to have encountered the issue before. There is a list of vets here http://www.bulldogrescue.co.uk/vets.htm

Alec Swan

Visit site
For how much longer are those who direct the breeding policies, of many of our breeds of dogs, going to continue to bury their heads in the sand? Supported by the Kennel Club, they're a disgrace.

Suelin, I have no answers for you, I'm sorry.

Alec.

Suelin

Visit site
For how much longer are those who direct the breeding policies, of many of our breeds of dogs, going to continue to bury their heads in the sand? Supported by the Kennel Club, they're a disgrace.

Suelin, I have no answers for you, I'm sorry.

Alec.

Alec I completely agree with your view. It is so sad for our lovely dogs. Wipeout, many thanks and Vizslak thankyou I have passed that list of vets on to the owners of this sweet little dog. Hopefully they can find some good advice.

EAST KENT

Visit site
If the dog is insured,and it surely will be, ask for an MRI at the AHT in Newmarket. That does give answers if there is a brain/nerve issue.