British Eventing 80, 90, 100 ? Or thereabouts....

Would you like to see BE stick to its advertised fence heights?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mayfly

New User
Visit site
Does anyone else get fed up with entering a BE 80/90/100 and when you're walking the course realise that quite a few are actually more like 90/100/110 cm? If I enter a BE 90 I want to jump a MAX of 90cm.

Lolo

Visit site
Well, no. Al has done some of the more testing/ up-to-height BE100 or PC intermediate courses in our area (Blackwater Farm, Burnham Market, Burghley, Norton Disney...) and although they've had big fences, none were bigger than the advertised height. They are simply not allowed to be.

Equally, all unaff. we've done has stuck to the height specified or been smaller... And that's at the much-loathed (it seems!) PC courses. Sure, when you see fence after fence which are bang up to height it all seems bigger but they aren't.

charlimouse

Visit site
BE have to stick to the fence heights stated in the rules. There is not this problem with BE events, hence why I pay money to go BE! The variations of fence heights are all in the rule book ie. 1 upright and 1 oxer can be 5cm bigger in the SJ, and brushes can be slightly bigger, so there is no excuse not to be prepared for it!

I think alot of people get used to walking under height courses, so when you get an upto height course it seemes bigger than it should do. Also I like to have a horse comfortably jumping the height of the level above the what the horse is competing at, so a well upto height fence doesn't worry me.

Firewell

Visit site
I think they look bigger sometimes because they are solidly built. This is a good thing IMO as they are more inviting to the horse. I'd rather jump a solid 90cm log than a flimsy set of rails ;).
Brush can add height and sometimes if the ground slopes away or there's a drop after the fence can make them look bigger :).
I always school a good 10-20cm higher at home anyway than the classes I compete in. I suffer from nerves so I like to feel the fences are small when I get to the event :).

be positive

Visit site
The fences are not over the maximum height they are just well built and look substantial, unlike many unaffiliated courses.
The same goes when SJ, if you do unaff. then go to a BS show the jumps look huge.
You need to know what you are training over, and ideally be jumping at home over fences a level above the one you compete at. Most people do not do enough homework and are under prepared when starting at BE.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think its more an issue that un affiliated XCs/shows DON'T have their fences at full height, and definately don't have the width, so people think that they are jumping 80/90/100 courses and they're actually not..

Thats the good thing about BE - things are the correct height.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I think you need to check your rule book as well OP. If you're talking about the SJ phase then the max SJ height allowed at 80 / 90 / 100 is 5cm above so 85 / 95 / 105, with the exception of BE100+ where max height is 110cm. Only two obstacles on each course are allowed to be up to the max height, and it's recommended that the first three should be below "class" height.

If you're talking XC then its fairly strictly monitored that the fences do not go above class height but as others have said they will be up to height and solidly built with full height spreads of class height plus 10cm - so 90 cm at BE80 etc.