British Eventing! Help please :)

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
I'm new to BE & am 18 years old.
Would like to do it on my 5year old 14.3hh and 8year old 15.1hh this year if possible..

they're both very bold/ well schooled over XC but I was hoping someone could let me know of some nice easy courses to get us started! Don't mind drops/water etc etc but nothing too challenging, more for me (and so i dont scare my 5yr old!)

I'm based in West Yorkshire and can travel.

BE90/ BE80(T)

Also, are the 80 classes any good?

Thank you!!

charlimouse

Visit site
Both your horses will be able to BE. If I were you I would start at BE80, as there are coaches in the warm ups and guided course walks so you can ask questions etc. Nothing should be technical, but they do tend to be up to height. Frickley would be near you, and is a lovely event. Frickley is in July, but if you want to start sooner there is Kelsall Hill in April, Northallerton at the end of April, Shelford manor in May and Draycott in June. Some are closer than others, but given that you must live quite close to me none are a million miles away!

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
Okay thank you! What is the required speed for BE80 and BE90 to be in the time? I have schooled over all the 80 and 90 fences at frickely with them ;)
Are they dressage tests required easy? My 14.3hh is a trotter cross and struggles with dressage, although jumps anything! My 15.1 does elementry dressage..?? Thanks!

Nicnac

Visit site
Look at the British Eventing website - you have all the information there including rule book with all the speeds for different levels and the dressage tests. Yes, the dressage tests are the same for 80 and 90 and are easy prelim standard.

charlimouse

Visit site
Can't remember the exact speeds off the top of my head, but think it is approximately 450m/m. BE80 use the same tests as BE90 and they are equivalent to an easy prelim.

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
okay thank you everyone!!! Is 450 fast? Gallop?
I would need to work out how to get them at that speed... my fresian x is very long strided and covers a lot of ground and my other pony is the opposite lol!

kassieg

Visit site
Its a decent fast canter so long as you keep a nice forward rhythm you should be inside time .... a show jumping course is usually 350mpm so if you dont really get sj faults you should manage by extending your canter out a bit just make sure they are fit enough to sustain it :)

kassieg

Visit site
Everyone wishes it was cheaper !!
Im just competing my 5 year old unaff this year because I know we won't be majorly competitive with it being her 1st year so. There are a lot of places that run unaff round affiliated courses which are the 1s I am going to do ...this way I still get the good courses but for a bit cheaper !!
I'll affiliate next year
Yes you can get penalties for going too fast

be positive

Visit site
can you get penalties for going too fast?? x

Yes, you really need to look through the rule book as there are penalties for going too fast as well as going too slowly, if you are considered to be riding beyond a reasonable pace you may be told to go for further training or stopped from competing, worst case scenario. Learning to ride at the correct speed xc takes time and good judgement it would be worth having a session xc with a BE trainer before you go to your first BE so you will be well prepared, it is expensive so worth doing the best preparation possible to make it worthwhile, BE is great fun but even better when you feel comfortable about what you are doing.

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
I'm looking to do it in a few months, so I can get more training/advice in first. I'm studying an equine honours degree in riding so you would have thought i'd know!! lol!