British Eventing to introduce grassroots long format 3DE

SOS

Visit site

be positive

Visit site
I still miss the long format at top level, I am unsure about it at 90 because in my experience there are too many horses that are not fit enough for the short format, probably doing too much in arenas and not enough outside, to be wanting to see them trying to get round a full 3 day, obviously some are plenty fit enough, it may encourage others to get their horses fitter but it could mean some not nice viewing of horses struggling over the last few fences xc, events with hills seem to show up the lack of fitness more than the flatter ones.

SOS

Visit site
I was hoping this may force lower level riders to think about fitness more. Especially with the potential of being eliminated if the horse doesn’t recover well enough between phases. It may attract a different, more conscientious type of rider rather than a ‘give it a go’ type.

I imagine they are doing it at BE90 as grassroots seems to be more profitable at the moment. It would be nice to see across levels.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
They used to run some PN3DE (BE100 in new language) and also novice 2 days that were long format. The N2D used to be a qualification for CCI* (now **)

I did both and it was my season finisher at Aldon most years, I have an absolute blast. The camaraderie was great but it was a lot of work. They had the full complement of vets etc for checks at each XC phase, you couldn't leave the 10 min box unless your horse was recovered etc. I think it's a good idea and potential to add in some training input to make sure competitors are prepared and competent :)

Roxylola

Visit site
Would be fun I think, but not something I would aim supercob at - he'd struggle too much I think, it's a big ask for a chunky boy - maybe Badminton grassroots one day though.

I like that they are doing a bit more for grassroots though, this could be something that would suit the horses who maybe are not dressage stars, in the old days it seemed more common to have changes in the placings following each phase now a lot of the time it seems that it's won or lost in the dressage phase and barring mistakes xc and sj are unlikely to make a difference. Once upon a time with super fit horses dressage explosions were commonplace and after the previous two days with tired horse and rider sj was a real test.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I'm excited by it and it's something I could aim at (if we can get brave enough for 90!). Plus as others have said hopefully it will encourage people to take fitness training more seriously.

VRIN

Visit site
I'm unsure why you would want long format at the bottom when it doesn't happen at any other level any more?

I share BP's concern about unfit horses and I would say there is also an unfit rider risk too.

I think there are many levels in our sport and many reasons for competing. i think its a great idea and would love to do it (though not brave enough yet for BE90 maybe they will do one for the 80) It gives something to aim for and something to train specifically for. For those of us who will never be competitive as we don't have the dressage it gives another perspective.

ihatework

Visit site
Well it’s a money making exercise designed to give the 90/100 crowd more stuff to aim for. And in general I think it’s good, anything to support the sport IMO. As long as the horses are fit enough and it’s stewarded strictly to remove those who aren’t. The format worked very well for years at Milton Keynes, and in general the competitors did put extra effort into horse fitness - it’s not like they were being expected to do a 10 min Xc course anyway, they were no longer than a CIC

Orangehorse

Visit site
Well years ago there was a Novice 3 day event at Bramham in Yorkshire and it ran for a few years. I can remember that there were plenty of fat looking horses, although as I was involved with a competitor I didn't take too much notice of what was going on generally so I can't say if most finished or not. "My competitor" did, although her horse gave one of the last fences on the cross country a might whack and a bruise. The vet said it was OK to continue to the third day and I told her to keep the horse moving in the collecting ring. Unfortunately she was chatting to another competitor about their experiences and I was too far away to shout "keep moving" I regret to say that her horse limped into the show jumping arena. She jumper her round OK but I have often thought that if the same thing happened today the judges would probably have pulled her up and not let her jump.

I remember in the Horse and Hound report that "there were too many full haynets on cross country morning" (is this OK now?) and after a few years the Novice 3 day event was stopped, as it was rather controversial.