Broken bones - riders

How many pillows do you sleep with?

• Total voters

johnsongreyhorse

Visit site
<span style="color:blue"> [Feeling really bored as nearly 3 weeks since I broke my leg whilst practising for a ODE, my horse launched into the water (after jumping out beautifully a few times) unseated me then trod on my right leg. This is the first time I have ever broken a bone in 30 years of riding so just wondered how many times any of you had broken bones?]

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Yes, broke my ulna and radius when I fell off a gypsy horse aged seven. Told my mum I fell out of a tree or she would have banded me from going over the feilds. Am forty now and only a few near misses. must have been the sticky bum I developed. haha.
hope your leg gets better soon.
Dawn

RunToEarth

Visit site
Oh no, how unlucky, sounds a very painful accident! I landed face first in the arena and broke nose a few monthes ago, I teamchased three days later .Then two years ago I came off out hunting and fractured my arm but it took me three days to realise that so obviously wasnt too painful. Worst one was when I was playing monted games and was about the vault when horse trod on my foot. Broke a couple of bones in my foot and sprained ankle, I was out for 2monthes then
frown.gif

rrose

Visit site
i have never broken a bone in any horse/ non-horse related accidents. *touches wood - i hope i never will* Hope you leg gets better and your back on your horse

Mel85

Visit site
Hope your leg is better soon!
I'm one of the unfortunate people who has broken 5+ bones! Most notable being from kicks - got kicked in the leg and broke my knee and also got kicked in face and broke jaw. Extremely painful, but didn't stop me riding for long (not that I told the docs that!!).

Keep your chin up - hope your on the move again soon!

Str0ppyMare

Visit site
Broke my wrist when I came off a horse when younger, told my mum that I fell off my bike lol

She hated me going riding as she thought it was too dangerous! However when i came off it was my own fault, I was galloping and it was windy, got my mare all fizzy and she started acting silly and I came off.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
Hi, I just found this great site for info, and have spend hours reading everyone else's diarys of what they did and recovery times - Very Varied!!
http://www.mybrokenleg.com/

Anyway, I broke my left leg last year, compound fracture of the tibia and spiral fracture of the fibia falling off practicing for an ODE too!! 3 operating and in plaster for 7 weeks. Got back on my horse the day after I got my plaster off and two weeks after that took her to the beach!

13 months later, (12th Sept 06) I came off SJ, smacked the wing, could'nt get up, leg felt like jelly - OMG, broke the other bloody leg! Displaced fracture of Tib and fib just above the ankle. Had and IM Rod down the tibia and 3 screws to fix it back together on 15th Sept. That was 3 Weeks yesterday. Not a lot of pain, can balance on that leg now (not in plaster either, said I did'nt need it as the metal work would hold it!)

Can flex ankle fully and stand/balance on that leg, although I am not not allowed to weight bear - but really want to get back on now. Just trying to find something at the yard to climb on so I can get back on to do some quiet work on her.

I also bought an electric scooter for whizzing round the yard - she's a bit of a madam and won't let anyone else catch her, so I have to go down to the field and put her headcollar on for someone to lead her in.

Hope you make a speedy recovery and feel free to PM if you are bored!

Lisa

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Done my left femur twice (ouch) and my right tib and fib once. Did 15 weeks in traction (yawn) for the first femur and had the other breaks plated. One of the femurs was being knocked off my pushbike by someone who hadn't seen me (?!?) and the other two were falls off horses - into rigidly stubborn fixtures. Apart from that.......

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
My biggest was a big showjumping accident many years ago which left me with some pretty bad injuries....

Fractured my spine in 3 places, cracked pelvis, arm, wrist, collar bone and several ribs. It hurt a lot and took 2 years and 2 surgeries to get me mobile again.
frown.gif

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
most recent was when horse put foot down hole out hunting (i couldnt help it, we where all going hell for leather across a huge field and as i got a faceful of mud and had my eyes closed for a split second, horse managed to find a hole to put his foot down!) and i fell off and broke my collarbone (this was last season). was doubly painful for me as i had broke the same collarbone in the same place a few years earlier (nothing to do with horses- i fell off the sofa..!). got back on after about 4-5 weeks.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
Oooo I'm one of the only few who clicked 5+.

Only once riding where my horse refused, then lept the jump from a standstill. It wasn't a small jump and somehow in the ensuing madness I broke my wrist and dislocated my thumb.

I've broken bones in my feet &amp; legs 7 times in the past 3 years. Docs were worried for awhile that I had osteoperosis (sp) turns out I under pronate too much and cause a lot of stress on my joints.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Erm......
-Got kicked: Broken ribs
-Horse stumbled and I ended up underneath it: Broken ribs
-Horse was bolting straight for a gate onto the main road (at a show) I let go and let him chuck me off: Broken nose

Kat
xx

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Broke 3 ribs as well as knocked out and sprained neck, schooling over fences - rode within a week.
Broke ankle when horse put me through wing over hurdles - was supposed to be inplaster for 6 weeks, cut it off after 2 weeks, race rode after another 10 days.
Smashed ankle through in 2 horse pile up on gallops (dog ran out in front of us - didnt sit on a horse for 9 months, had 2 screws, 8 pins and 1metre of wire put in. Spent the whole time getting pi55ed and fat - never really recovered.
Dislocated both shoulders at same time, and knocked out - came off a breaker at 14, taught me never to come off one again.
Broken nose 3 times - once on a headshaker, decked my pony down some steps as a kid, got headbutted by lad.
Also broke 3 bones in hand falling off a ladder, and cut ear off in car crash (and knocked out).
Been knocked out 2 more times, once being when I was airlifted with suspected broken back. Was ok and riding within 3 days, but couldnt look up to see where I was going for 2 months (and got done for dropping hands and loosing 2nd).

Shrimp

Visit site
I broke my arm and dislocated my shoulder at the end of july after falling off at a ODE. Wasnt supposed to ride for 2 months but got back on after 5 weeks and competed in an event 3 weeks after that.

M

madabout2

Hair line fracture in my neck, dislocated my pelvis - and broke collar bone. But was in traction for 4 months!
The most painful bit - a bruise on the inside of my thigh!!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Broke my Hip and Pelvis when horse fell while Showjumping and rolled over me!!! - 3 months on crutches and 1 x month walking before I could get back in the saddle. Also broke my collar bone schooling a young horse, which bucked till it buried me head first in the school. 6 months in sling as bone displaced by a inch. Rode Sparks (6yrs old coloured) two days after sling came off and brought her!!! Will I never learn!!!!!!!- still have her, she is in all my pics.

allijudd

Visit site
i dont tend to break bones as a rule...i have really tough bones..i have however snapped both the scaphoids in both hands, one riding, one not and i have 2 fracture lines down my right cheek, one from a rearing horse the other from a very ex-boyfreind...

watcherathome

Visit site
Fractured skull and finger 30 odd years ago..had a couple of months off but wasn't riding that regularly anyway (wore a hat after that)

Broken hip last year, 2 months off again and still painful so has slowed me down a lot this time

ladylisa

Visit site
hope your leg gets better soon, i broke my arm when i was about 12, i was at the local stables and went to get a pony in from the field, went down a muddy hill and slipped put my hand out to ease the fall but ended up breaking my arm!

Caritas

Visit site
I broke the second vertabra in my neck when i was 14, not telling you how many years ago that was lol. 1/8th of an inch lower and i would have been dead. It was the same bone that Christophers Reeves broke, i was sooo lucky. Ive also had a broken finger from turning my horse out along with many rope burns, more like 3rd degree burns. And.............2 years ago I came off my boy and snapped my humorus (top of my right arm) in half and it was very badly displaced, pocking through the skin, not nice. Apart from that i am a fit and healthy young lady, and all of these incidents were down to horses and if it wasnt for them i would have no scars or blemishes, but who would be without um eh??

RobinHood

Visit site
I broke my collar bone a year ago when my horse fell on me (please note that jumping haylage bales is very unsafe!) had it plated and screwed and rode a week later but only hacked for a few weeks.

druid

Visit site
Yes - chatting on pony turned to look at friend to my left and pony reared and cracked my jaw. Didn't realise it was broken for a good 3 weeks and had done far more damage by not having it wired immeadiately. Refused to have it wired so I had a odd brace to hold my jaw still and then 2 years of orthodontics to put my teeth back where they should have been. Never stopped riding from the break happening to it being "fixed".

star

Visit site
my first ever break was beginning of Dec last year (aged 24). broke my radius and ulna when my horse ran out at a jump last minute and flung me wrist first into the jump wing. had to have an op to realign the bones - was my 1st major injury from riding. i was in plaster for 6 weeks although i was back on him way before that - just rode with one hand or tied knot in one rein and managed to hold that between my fingers in the cast. only thing stopping me riding more often was the fact i couldn't drive myself down the yard!

vanessahook

Visit site
I did really well until i was 17 with no injuries. Then i was thrown off a crazy horse which broke my elbow, tore all the ligaments in my wrist and ruptured my bicep. Didn't ride for about 10 weeks.
two years after that i broke my hand (i know this sounds awful) hitting a horse bewteen the ears as it was about to go over backwards. Didn't realise it was broken as i had an adrenelin rush so carried on riding and only realised there was something wrong when someone pointed out my little finger was pointing backwards!!!
Didn't ride for about 10 weeks again!!

jennystreek

Visit site
i was also xc schooling in preparation for BE - made the mistake of getting on my friends stubborn mare, who launched me off a drop fence, where i stupidly tried to land on my feet and so broke my ankle!!

That was the end of april/beggining of may this year, and i competed at mattingley in july without any ached or pains, and have no problems riding at all. if anything, the movement makes ankle feel better so consider myself having a physio session (which nhs wont pay for!) each time i ride!

hope it gets better for you soon......