Broken finger

jackrussell

Visit site
How many people on here have broken fingers at some stage (quite a lot I would have thought, being around horses)? I wouldn't expect it to stop me riding and doing stuff around the yard but have been told by stupid nurse I need to keep it elevated in a sling!! She didn't immobilise it, just taped it to the one next to it, so I guess I could do more damage if it's not kept out of the way somehow. But it's driving me mad - not riding and trying to do yard jobs one-handed.

The thing that makes me cautious is that I did break a finger once before and didn't get it looked at until a lot later, it's still misshapen and I can't use it properly, so don't really want another like that.

Any experience of mending broken fingers much appreciated!

Molineux

Visit site
I have broken my fingers before, from a horrible horse I had years ago!

I had a splint on my middle finger as that was the worse broken finger so keeping it straight is the most important thing.

There is not much you can do with broken fingers they have to just mend on there own
frown.gif

Hope your fingers get better soon
crazy.gif
xx

KatB

Visit site
I broke my ring finger on my right hand diagonally from first knuckle to second one, it was due to a "twist" injury. It was splinted with a flxible splint to my middle finger, but I was crap and carried on as normal. Its now still bent and can get very sore in cold weather and "locks" if I make a fist! So look after it, and although its a pain, it is better in the long run to "behave"!!
tongue.gif
grin.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Broke my middle finger near tip, but only thought it was bruised so didn't get it checked, so it mended all bent.
blush.gif

I would follow advise, unless you want to risk having a bent finger!!!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I broke my index finger on my dominant (left) hand about 6 weeks ago.

OH (who is doctor) said don't need to do anything unless the finger is very deformed and then it might need manipulation to get it back where it should be.

Mine was just sore and stiff so did nothing. It gradualy got better, although writing was hard! 6 weeks later it is very slightly stiff but no other probs.

IMHO a sling is a little OTT!

Happytohack

Visit site
I have broken several fingers over the years - occupational hazzard around horses. A few years ago, I broke one quite badly and doctor said to keep it strapped up, arm in sling & not to use it for several weeks. Went to the vet and got them to set it! They put a very light weight cast on which I wore during the day and then took off at night so I could keep the finger moving so it didn't stiffen. I still managed to ride and everything! If you're friendly with your vet, ask them to do the same.

Jemayni

Visit site
I broke both my middle fingers simultaneously in the same freaky accident. I had one in a sling because it was a really bad break, and I think it can affect circulation if you don't!
They didn't make me keep it in a sling long though, I think 5 days...

However would echo what everyone else says, I started writing shortly after I had splint off, and now my finger is really bent from where I held the pen.

KateStartin

Visit site
Broke my finger a couple of years ago, didn't realise i had broken it until swelling had gone down and i saw that it was not the shape it used to be!!! Its not too bad now though just a bit numb to use. I rode etc with it but it was quite sore

Also broke my hand this year i had a spiral fracture down the fourth finger to my wrist, I went to the hospital with that one and had my whole hand put in plaster!!!

brightmount

Visit site
Last year my horse was on 6 months box rest with walking in hand out to graze each day. She got very spooky, resulting in one episode when she wrapped her rope around a tree and me with it. That was when I broke my finger.

It went black and when the swelling went down there was a lump which I thought would be permanent, but a year on you can hardly see it and the pain and stiffness has gone; it's normal.

Jay89

Visit site
Broke my middle finger years ago, accidently got it caught between a jumping cup and a pole, the pole fell on top lol hurt sooo much lol. I just got mine taped together, is fine now dont have any problems with it!