Broken leg stories

MissGee

Visit site
Please tell me your broken leg stories - or preferably happy endings!!

After a year of broken leg, I'm really looking for inspiration that I will get better, ride again and hopefully compete again - fingers crossed!

springer-tb

Visit site
Hello, in 2011 I had a horrific leg break - compound tib/fib caused by a horse rearing and falling backwards on to me. I had lots of other injuries, and (as you currently know) it was an exhausting and seemingly never ending process. However, I did heal and although not good as new, mostly I'm never aware of my gammy leg. The end will come and you will be ok!

Doris68

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your break. I fractured head of right femur years ago and also 2 vertebrae. I was fitted with a dynamic hip screw. I was back in the saddle 8 months later but not as brave! I was over 40 when it happened. Guess what? I broke my left femur last year and have an IM nail from knee to hip. Call me unlucky... You must get physio if you haven't already and do your exercises daily. It's a long haul but you WILL get there in the end but patience is called for. I'm unable to ride now as it was found I have osteoporosis - but I'm quite old!! I walk well now, no limp and very little scarring. Good luck and don't despair.

ew0855

Visit site
18 months ago was still off work, on crutches having wreaked just about every structure in my right ankle/lower leg. Still have daily pain and a lot of metal work.

BUT

I'm also having a 'I love my pony week'
2 weeks ago we went to camp for the first time
came back and jumped a few cross country fences for the first time in years
Moved up to MyQuest/Team Quest prelim having started with unaffiliated intros about 8 months ago
Did our first 30km graded endurance ride on Friday with a grade 2
Went for a very quiet, stretchy walk hack round the farm this morning... and monster spent the entire time telling me he wasn't tired and could we canter/jump please?

Its been a very long 18 months which have involved a lot of physio, a new pony, time on lead rein and expensive schooling livery but I'm back enjoying my horse and excited about what we can do over the next 18 months. Good luck ... you can get there!

Riverblade

Visit site
So, very badly broken left ankle/tib/fib 4 years ago, lots of metal and physio! I was back on board in 8 weeks and competing after 12 weeks,
Then very unluckily broke right ankle 8 weeks ago again pinned and plated but much better recovery and I rode after 5 1/2 weeks! Only thing I can recommend is lots of physio and acupuncture!