Broken ribs!(human):(

Christmas Magic

Visit site
Hi there. Can anyone tell me how long does it take for broken ribs to heal,all 7 of them!:( And when I can ride!
Post season,last hunt yesterday and the grey one slipped on wet roots and apparently fell on my,only remember us slipping,me thinking ****!and that's it,must be switched off for couple of seconds:(
Meanwhile in Frimley Park. Going to toilet is...more then interesting:D
It really sore and I can fee my ribs grating on each other if I move wrong. And its really boring:(
So,sponsored ride in nearly four weeks time.Will i be up for it?
Yell your experience and stories please!

P.S.Anyone want to ride my horse while im broken? Took me so much to keep him fit over the winter! Don't want him to lose it:(

Sorry if i don't make much sence.

Last edited:

Donnie Darco

Visit site
I bruised my ribs once, got bucked off :rolleyes: was wearing a body protector.

It hurt. All the time. (Sorry to say but it got worse before it got better) I'd say it was a good 4-5 weeks before the sharp stabbing pain stopped. But then during that time some days were better than others, ie one day I could take a deep breath and be fine, next day not so.

Sneezing? Don't know which was worse ... Sneezing or trying NOT to sneeze :rolleyes:

I did however get back riding PDQ, even though we are just happy hackers :) nothing too strenuous :eek:

Everyone is different though, pain threshold, fitness, lots of things affect your recovery time. Listen to the doctor about breathing exercises AND DO THEM!! It will help you mend quicker ;)

And my final word ... OUCH :eek:

debsey1

Visit site
I was kicked in the chest by my horse as I was free reigning him in the school, it was totally my fault I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He bucked catching me in my left boob I nearly passed out with the pain. I knew I definitely broke 2 ribs across my breast I couldn't laugh, cough or take in deep breath sooo painful. I kept taking ibuprofen & after 2 weeks felt better enough to ride on an slow hack. I really do feel your pain though. Get well soon :)

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
My horse double barrelled me straight in the ribs a couple of years ago now. I was back on board 3 days later but was incredibly painful so mainly hacked. A week after that I then got double barrelled in the sternum and broke it. On again a few days after - the things we do for our horses!

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I fell off jumping side saddle and broke a rib (and my hat!) and that took about 2 months and then got doubled barrelled by an evil Sec D (the horse actually TROTTED BACKWARDS to get at me when I was putting out the hay in the field) on the other side of my ribcage and broke them too. That took me about 2 months to heal too. I couldn't ride, sneeze, cough, laugh, sleep, nothing.

wench

Visit site
I would suggest you go on whatever your doctor says... ie if he says no riding for 8 weeks, no riding for 8 weeks.

Jumping back in the saddle whilst you are in pain will not do you or your horse any good!

domane

Visit site
Ouchie, you have my deepest sympathies I think it depends how you have broken them. I broke 6 and displaced them the middle of May last year and they are still healing and finding their way back to each other! Although I am nearly 50 so my powers of healing are probably a bit slow!! I was in hospital for the first four days as I damaged my spleen too and they were worried it might rupture so I had to be constantly monitored. The initial pain lasted about a week to ten days and I was back helping my OH with the poo-picking after two weeks, which I'm sure helped my rehab,to be honest.

DSC00693.jpg

The most useful thing for me was my OH screwing a massive hook into an oak beam above our bed and hanging a rope so I could raise and lower myself in bed without having to use my chest and back muscles - it's amazing how much they're involved in laying down and getting back up. And a folding chair in front of the toilet worked as a "crutch" for a few days.

Pain relief, I left hospital with just ibuprofen and paracetamol, but once I was home and moving I went onto a mild Co-codamol, which didn't really help so they went full whack and gave me tramadol. They were great but after 36 hours I had to stop taking them due to a severe itching/sweating reaction, so I went back to the ibes and paras. Take your painkillers religiously on the clock as you will need them - every 6 hours for ibuprofen, with food and every 4 for the paracetamol. Speak to your GP as they will probably prescribe you Omeprazole if you are taking ibes long-term. I ditched them around the 3-4 weeks mark as I wanted my body to tell me what it was capable of without it being masked by the painkillers. If I overdid things I took them only then.

Mine clicked as I breathed for the first few days and now they catch on my shoulder blade as I rotate and move my arm. Couldn't tolerate a bra for months so used M&S secret support vests with the elastic cut out of them.... in fact I still wear those as they are just so convenient! My impact site is still tender after all these months but I was back at work as a housekeeper (hoovering!) after 4 weeks, although part time.

Had a very gentle sit-on after about 6 weeks but didn't start riding proper for about 3 months. But then my nerves were in tatters so I had to take it slowly from a mental point of view.

Last edited:

melbiswas

Visit site
Agree with Wench.

This is significant injury! A displaced fractured rib could pierce the lung lining and give serious consequences.
You are in for a horrible few weeks! You could also get some back pain as they heal I'm afraid.

mynutmeg

Visit site
Bones take 6-8 weeks to heal fully and really you ought not to ride until the doc clears you because if you come off before they are fully healed they will simply break again and may end up with a worse injury.

I'm sure the docs will have said but even though it's painful you need to make sure you are breathing properly deep down as otherwise the biggest risk with ribs is to only breath really shallow as it reduces the pain but puts you at big risk of infection and pneumonia.
Pain meds will be your friends for now - if over the counter are not strong enough then talk to your gp about getting something stronger.

Ellies_mum2

Visit site
I cracked some ribs after a fall while jumping a couple of years ago. I had to sleep sitting up for the first couple of weeks as couldn't lie on my back due to the pain so slept on the couch. Then progressed to lying down but with my back against the back of the couch to prevent me rolling onto my back. After about 6 weeks I was able to sleep in my bed again. Took about 6 weeks to get back in the saddle too.

I took paracetamol then 2 hours later ibuprofen then 2 hours later more paracetamol etc. Worked for me :D

Hope you heal quickly and well

MiCsarah

Visit site
Oh dear breaking all those ribs you were luckily you didn't puncture a lung or something!! Bones will take atleast 2 months to heal but you will feel them a lot longer. Please just take it slowly!! I don't know why im telling you that though as I dislocated my elbow last year after a fall and after a week once my cast was off I was back riding again which was VERY naughty of me

melbiswas

Visit site
Please listen to your Dr and not all these very naughty people on here!

Fractures need to be immobilised to allow the bone ends to knit together again. You can't do this with ribs but you can avoid the stresses that will cause disruption in this process. With a bit of patience early on you will get a better long term result.

TBH the pain normally stops you doing anything too silly.

I'm afraid yard duties will be out as well as riding; I hope you have some help.

I am very sorry OP. - big very very gentle hug from me !

mynutmeg

Visit site
Oh dear breaking all those ribs you were luckily you didn't puncture a lung or something!! Bones will take atleast 2 months to heal but you will feel them a lot longer. Please just take it slowly!! I don't know why im telling you that though as I dislocated my elbow last year after a fall and after a week once my cast was off I was back riding again which was VERY naughty of me

I broke both ankles - literally the day I got my last cast off I was back on my sister's cob (he's very steady) although we did just walk round a few times then I didn't ride again for about 4 months :D

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Mine are still dodgy and sometimes painful 6 months on after I got squished by a frightened youngster. I rode very soon after doing them and am sure that's contributed to my healing time :(

domane

Visit site
Forgot to say earlier.... if you feel the need to cough, hold a rolled up towel or a pillow, quite firmly against your ribs before you try.... it really does help to support them. But you will probably find that it will hurt to cry, laugh, sigh, cough sneeze.... or move at all really in the first few weeks. It's horrible, but it does pass......

RCP Equestrian

Visit site
Oh no!! Sorry to hear this :(

And you both went so well in your lesson on Saturday! Hope you're better soon, but I would listen to the doctor, don't rush the healing process, you might end up further back than you started :(

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery! x

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Ouch - I think from a friends experience about 6 weeks to heal but will still be quite tender for a while after that. Take it easy and get well soon.

wiglet

Visit site
I broke one and cracked another after getting kicked (field accident - she didn't mean it). Anyway, it was agony, knocked me clean off my feet when she did it. Was badly winded and breathing really hurt. Only thing that helped my breathing was holding my arm up in air - yeah, I got some very strange looks in A&E sat there with my arm in the air :D

Took 6 weeks to heal properly - I got on again after 4 weeks but it was only walking. Don't rush things, it's not worth it.

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
Mine took 8 weeks to return to normal. Hope you feel better soon - my biggest piece of advice is steer clear of anyone who sniffs, avoid public transport, try to work from home to avoid germs in the office, basically do everything you can to avoid catching a cold!!!

vickyb

Visit site
Ouch! I broke one and that was painful enough, you must be in agony with seven. Poor you. As previously stated, don't think about riding unless you are cleared by the doctor - another fall could push your broken ribs into your lung. I was prescribed strong co-codamol, which helped a bit. It's amazing how you learn NOT to sneeze or cough (or laugh) because the pain is too great. Mine was essentially better in six weeks, but I have still got tenderness over the area five months later. Take it easy.

chazza44

Visit site
Please listen to your Dr and not all these very naughty people on here!

Fractures need to be immobilised to allow the bone ends to knit together again. You can't do this with ribs but you can avoid the stresses that will cause disruption in this process. With a bit of patience early on you will get a better long term result.

TBH the pain normally stops you doing anything too silly.

I'm afraid yard duties will be out as well as riding; I hope you have some help.

I am very sorry OP. - big very very gentle hug from me !

^^ This. Regular pain killers are vital, rest and try to breathe deeply if you can. This will help you to avoid getting a chest infection (easily done if you are not breathing deeply/get a bit of lung collapse). It is better taking a bit of time out now to heal properly then doing too much too soon and injuring yourself all over again as that would just mean even more time out.

I hope you feel better soon!

Pixxie

Visit site
I did 4 in 6 places displaced both of the ones that broke in two places and collapsed my lung too. I won't sugar coat it I was sleeping sitting upright for 3-4 months on the sofa as I coukdnt physically lie down and it was 5-6 months before I was back on board :( its the worst injury ever but please don't rush things my ribs slip out of place every now and then still and Im 3 yrs on due to the cartilage damage so please don't rush!!

philamena

Visit site
Poor you! That sounds horrid. My advice isn't about ribs per se because I've never broken them thankfully (dreading ever doing so now I've read these replies!). But knowing how horribly depressing it can be waiting for a fracture to heal and not being able to do anything and feeling crap (am 5 weeks post op to pin smashed up shoulder), I'd say try to focus on what you'll achieve each day or week (this is my first check up, this is my first time getting off the loo without help) whatever small steps mark your progress. If you think too much about how long it'll be before you do x, y or z it's instantly depressing. I liken it to when you're walking up a massive hill, look down at your feet and enjoy seeing each step as progress, don't look up at the climb ahead and how far the destination is ;-)

I also chose not to take ibuprofen or other NSAIDs because although they reduce inflammation and are often good painkillers, they've been shown to slow the healing of bones because one of the ways they reduce inflammation is by blocking Cox-2 and / or Cox-1 enzymes. In fact pretty much all NSAIDs do this. My surgeon only wanted me on Diclofenac for the first few days when pain and new inflammation from the op was at its newest. So after the morphine ran out (boooo) I stuck with paracetamol & codeine and not doing things that I knew would hurt! I also saved up some of my dosage for sleeping time as being able to sleep as well as possible is really important for healing.

Good luck :)

JDH01

Visit site
Oh dear, it will be very sore. From experience I would say 6 weeks to start to feel better. I broke mine after a hunting fall where I ended up in a ditch and the mare used me as a ladder to get out. I only missed one days riding but really dont think that was the best thing to do with hindsight. I have recently broken my leg and was advised by hospital not to take asprin or ibruprofen as you need the inflamatory response to promote bone healing, paracetamol and codiene phosphate seemed to be the drugs of choice. Good luck.

asbo

Visit site
Lost count the amount of times I have broken my ribs now, currently have very bruised ones and it hurts to breath/move/poo pick, last thing I would be doing is riding. I was stupid enough to ride my rather forward ID last time I had 3 broken ribs, he was trying to tank off and I couldnt hold him it hurt so much and I had to get off as I could hardly catch my breath. A good 6-8 weeks before I was ok to get back on.

Christmas Magic

Visit site
Thanks anyone. Didn't manage to read all the replys,im in agony- been sick,nosebleed and bloody hiccups at the same time:( Hiccups will kill me:(

indie999

Visit site
I would suggest you go on whatever your doctor says... ie if he says no riding for 8 weeks, no riding for 8 weeks.

Jumping back in the saddle whilst you are in pain will not do you or your horse any good!

Havent read them all but you have to go on their advice as you are at risk of nicking the lung tissue with edge of broken ribs and dont want to end up with a punctured lung. They usually let them heal up naturally and dont strap anymore. ie heal as they are used.#Ribs are a funny old thing as they are moving and healing(whereas most breaks are kept immobile..this is why they dont strap).

Sorry to sound so negative and bruising and a fracture are a bit different.Hope you feel ok though. in the ideal world in a few weeks they could do a check x ray to see how they are? Will probably be sore for a few more weeks/months yet.

Fitzpatrick81

Visit site
Ouchie, you have my deepest sympathies I think it depends how you have broken them. I broke 6 and displaced them the middle of May last year and they are still healing and finding their way back to each other! Although I am nearly 50 so my powers of healing are probably a bit slow!! I was in hospital for the first four days as I damaged my spleen too and they were worried it might rupture so I had to be constantly monitored. The initial pain lasted about a week to ten days and I was back helping my OH with the poo-picking after two weeks, which I'm sure helped my rehab,to be honest.

DSC00693.jpg

The most useful thing for me was my OH screwing a massive hook into an oak beam above our bed and hanging a rope so I could raise and lower myself in bed without having to use my chest and back muscles - it's amazing how much they're involved in laying down and getting back up. And a folding chair in front of the toilet worked as a "crutch" for a few days.

Pain relief, I left hospital with just ibuprofen and paracetamol, but once I was home and moving I went onto a mild Co-codamol, which didn't really help so they went full whack and gave me tramadol. They were great but after 36 hours I had to stop taking them due to a severe itching/sweating reaction, so I went back to the ibes and paras. Take your painkillers religiously on the clock as you will need them - every 6 hours for ibuprofen, with food and every 4 for the paracetamol. Speak to your GP as they will probably prescribe you Omeprazole if you are taking ibes long-term. I ditched them around the 3-4 weeks mark as I wanted my body to tell me what it was capable of without it being masked by the painkillers. If I overdid things I took them only then.

Mine clicked as I breathed for the first few days and now they catch on my shoulder blade as I rotate and move my arm. Couldn't tolerate a bra for months so used M&S secret support vests with the elastic cut out of them.... in fact I still wear those as they are just so convenient! My impact site is still tender after all these months but I was back at work as a housekeeper (hoovering!) after 4 weeks, although part time.

Had a very gentle sit-on after about 6 weeks but didn't start riding proper for about 3 months. But then my nerves were in tatters so I had to take it slowly from a mental point of view.
Hi . How are your ribs now ? I broke 6 in the summer and had 2 plated . Still incredibly painful , stiff and tight . The bra issue is a nightmare and I'm too nervous to ride after what happened to me .

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
You have all my sympathy. Now make sure you keep well away from anybody who might have germs. I tell you from experience you really don't want a cough.