Broken shoulder owwww

Scheherezade

Visit site
Came off the naughty WB who thinks he's a racehorse today. Absolute agony- really messed up my shoulder and they've said surgery. No riding driving or working for 2 months:(

He bolted and bronced when I was trying to get on, so tips on teaching him to stay still appreciated. Be nice as I'm in a lot of pain!!

marotelle

Visit site
Oh no, ouch the shoulder, that's really painful.
The only thing that worked for me was taking Tramadol, but then
be very careful not to drive and Watch out for balance issues.
As you will be out of action for a few weeks, why not send him off to boot camp, it will sort him out and make him a safer ride!
I'll be thinking of you as I have just mended.

Yeomans

Visit site
Came off the naughty WB who thinks he's a racehorse today. Absolute agony- really messed up my shoulder and they've said surgery. No riding driving or working for 2 months:(

He bolted and bronced when I was trying to get on, so tips on teaching him to stay still appreciated. Be nice as I'm in a lot of pain!!

Really feel for you as I broke my shoulder in Spain 18 months ago and had to have metal plate put in, when returning to England then had to have the plate taken out. It didn't get better and 3 weeks ago I had a total shoulder replacement. It is agony and like the other person I found that Tramadol really helped but DO NOT DRIVE and you are away with the fairies a bit. Since the op 3 weeks ago I have now started driving and went to a horse show yesterday so it seems that after 18 months I might get back to normal. Its been hell, no riding, no lifting and I had to employ someone to help me out all last year. Pls take it carefully and don't rush getting better. It takes time. Let me know how you get on. Take care

turnbuckle

Visit site
Tramadol is good, if really foul you might see if they'll give you Oramorph (unlikely).

What also helps is regular doses - I found ibuprofen alternating with Tramadol worked pretty well......

xpkEcho

Visit site
I hope you get well soon!!

About the standing when mounting, I've always had a treat on hand when I get on. In the beginning, as soon as I was on, I'd stretch my hand out (alternating sides, so they're not leaning to one constantly) towards their face and hand them the treat from on their back. It's taught both my mares to stand nicely. I keep the habit up, and if I don't have a treat, I just give them a good pat and stroke their face.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The paracetamol and diclofenic, topped up with Tramadol at night worked best for me .
Don't let them be sloppy get your pain relief right for you.
Bad luck but that's horses.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I hope you get well soon!!

About the standing when mounting, I've always had a treat on hand when I get on. In the beginning, as soon as I was on, I'd stretch my hand out (alternating sides, so they're not leaning to one constantly) towards their face and hand them the treat from on their back. It's taught both my mares to stand nicely. I keep the habit up, and if I don't have a treat, I just give them a good pat and stroke their face.

I always do that too, especially now I'm not so nimble at getting on. Makes life so much easier.

_GG_

Visit site
Ouch. A lot of ex racers I've worked with haven't known how to stand at mounting blocks. All I've ever done is have treats on hand, stand them there with a bucket load of patience and wait. They shift about, I put them back where I want them and wait. If the stand nice and still for 5 seconds, they get a treat. I keep doing this until they understand that still means good things, then I try getting on. Not committing to it, just foot in stirrup, bouncing etc...and do the same. Keep at it until the they stand still, treat, repeat and then do the same when on...they get put back by the mounting block until they can stand still, get a treat, repeat until they are happy to just stand and that's that. Usually only have to do this once and they get it.

I pick my battles very carefully with horses. I used to be very no nonsense and more inclined to tell them off, but I've realised that rarely works...it's not usually naughtiness, there will be a reason they do it, so staying clam and quiet works better.

Bluddy OUCH on the shoulder and I really hope you heal up soon, but I agree, send the horse off for some boot camp schooling while you're out of action.

Scheherezade

Visit site
Thanks all, I'm having surgery to fix it and having metal plate and pins in tomorrow morning. Consultant said its a bad break.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Bad luck. You've put my broken wrist into perspective for me. I hope the operation goes well tomorrow, I might be joining you under the knife on Wednesday. Get well soon.