Bromley - `Cost of living` - for one horse

Krittersg

Visit site
Greetings! I'm looking into a company that is in Bromley and before I can take that next step of an in person interview I need to know that I can afford my horse habit. I'm currently in Southern California - and I can say my horse habit is my most expensive thing... and I would love to know the following general things ( I realize there are a ton of variables so if I could get `ranges` of costs that would be ideal )

1. My husband and I both ride - Dressage/Jumping
a. What are jumping/dressage lessons approx cost
2. I will need to bring my horse with me and have her boarded
a. What is DIY vs Part Care vs Full care?
b. What are the general costs of each category?
3. What is general farrier service costs
a. Trim only vs Front shoes vs Full shoes
4. What are average vet costs?
5. How much is a bale of hay
a. what are the standard types fed there and the costs
6. Can you provide me information (cost of stabling with specific names/associated costs) on stables that are within about a 30 minute drive of Bromley?
7. Can you provide me information (cost of stabling with specific names/associated costs) on stables that are accessible via public transit from Bromley?
8. Are there mini farms for sale/lease withing a 30 minute commute of Bromley?

Thanks for your time! Sorry about the wall of questions, I do appreciate any bits you can fill in!

Zerotolerance

Visit site
Greetings! I'm looking into a company that is in Bromley and before I can take that next step of an in person interview I need to know that I can afford my horse habit. I'm currently in Southern California - and I can say my horse habit is my most expensive thing... and I would love to know the following general things ( I realize there are a ton of variables so if I could get `ranges` of costs that would be ideal )

For private lessons on my own horses I pay £50 for 30 mins with well known dressage trainer up to £240/hour for a top showjumper. There are a lot of cheaper alternatives, especially jumping.
DIY - you rent a stable and usually get use of facilities and turnout (which may/may not be all year round) Costs varies depending on facilities and location - from £30-£50/week
Part can mean a lot of different things - I currently pay £450/month for basic care, feed, hay and bedding. They do enough so that you don't need to go to yard. No riding, tack cleaning or grooming included. I get mates rates, so expect to pay a bit more - around £475-500/month
Full - again can mean different things but I would expect it to include grooming, tack cleaning, riding etc and would cost about £800/month
As above
I have a very good farrier - but more expensive than some and pay £25 for trim up to £90 for full set (£45 fronts) without any extras like stud holes/road pins.
Most vets now do Zone rates on certain days so their call our fees are greatly reduced. Hard to give costs as varies according to what you have done About £40 for flu/tet jabs + call out up to £6,000 hospitalised for a straightforward colic surgery.
Small bale hay around £5
Check out feed supplier websites - there are loads. Examples are:- Dodson and Horrell, Dengie, Spillers, Baileys/Badminton, Top Spec, Allen and Page, Costs between £9/20kg bag for basic nuts up to £3 for balancers. Most of the feeds I buy are around £12-17/bag.
6. Can you provide me information (cost of stabling with specific names/associated costs) on stables that are within about a 30 minute drive of Bromley?
My horses are located 20 mins drive from Bromley - see costs above
7. Can you provide me information (cost of stabling with specific names/associated costs) on stables that are accessible via public transit from Bromley?
You can get to where mine are located on public transport, but would probably mean 2 buses, so take quite a long time.
Yards for rent anywhere in the area are in high demand - most don't even make it to public advertising but are let by word of mouth immediately.

Thanks for your time! Sorry about the wall of questions, I do appreciate any bits you can fill in!

Hope this helps and you can read it slotted into your original message.

junglefairy

Visit site

I get dressage lessons for £30 for 45 minutes, good instructor.

My horse is on 'full grassy livery'. They get checked once daily and the field is poo picked but I need to sort feeding and rug changes etc. Cost is £150 pcm.
Full livery at the same yard is, I think, £550 pcm and includes all stable care but not riding. However, you cannot get 24 hour turnout on the full livery package (i.e. they must be stabled at night)

My horse doesn't have shoes so a trim is £20 and only needs done every 2-3 months. A full set of shoes would be £70 I think.

Vaccinations c.£100 inc. call out
Teeth c.£100 inc. call out.
Recently had the horse checked and prescribed bute. Cost was c.£130 inc. call out

Don't know about hay.
Bag of chaff c.£17
All round supplement c.£40 a month

There are quite a few stables within driving distance of Bromley although if it were me I would prefer to live a it further out and closer to the country then commute into Bromley.

Some suggestions included above. My yard would be within 30 mins of Bromley, happy to provide more details by PM.