Broncing after fences

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Hi all, as some of you may remember I am currently on box rest following rearranging the bones in one of my arms. I *think* the cause of my dodgy fall was due to Baby TB rodeoing/broncing after jumping a fence - but no one quite saw what exactly went wrong and I don't really remember it all.

History on the Baby TB - she is an ex-hurdler, and has been the most medically unlucky horse I have ever met. From late Sept 2020 through till around July this year we have dealt with numerous health and soundness issues and she is now feeling sound, fit and well. And happy. She is fundamentally a very kind, willing horse. We haven't done lots of jumping, and what we have done I have been careful to keep small (up to ~75cm) as she is still building strength, and where she is so keen I don't want to overface her and knock her confidence.

I don't *think* the broncing is a pain issue, as she feels so happy into and over a fence, but she will have a full MOT again (gastroscope, soundness check, teeth etc as coming towards the end of her insurance period on these things) and her saddle checked prior to getting back on. As much as I'm hoping there's nothing physically wrong I'm a bit concerned as to what to do if there is nothing underlying, as if the broncing continues I really don't feel like it is something I can sit through - I don't normally get nervous, and I very rarely come off, but this one has got me worried!

Does anyone have any advice or exercises that have helped if they have had a horse go through a similar phase?

quizzie

Visit site
Try lots (and lots) of poles on the ground, 8-10 poles on both landing and take off sides of small cross pole initially...so obviously can come from both directions.(Start with just trot poles, then put fence in).
Trot in slowly, pop fence and trot again as soon as possible after the fence ( ideally immediately...but soft aid , not a hard hand!)....even do exercise at walk if necessary initially.
In theory the horse is concentrating so hard on where to put its feet, that bucking isn't on the menu!

vhf

Visit site
Does anyone have any advice or exercises that have helped if they have had a horse go through a similar phase?

Exercises - assuming the behaviour is due to extreme enthusiasm at leaving the ground, then as above, making it require brain cells and reducing the excitement level is the way to go! In the past this has been my approach. Oh, and where relevant, I've made sure I can point uphill and kick on, rather than immediately turn/slow/downhill (so when popping the first jump XC schooling an over-excited Tigger type).

Recently, my approach has upscaled to adding protective equipment. (It's an age thing). So as well as hat and body protector, I've added air jacket and neck strap! And never jumping when alone, which has cramped my style a bit I have to admit.

TheMule

Visit site
It might just be high jinks, but the 2 I've had that did bronc after a fence turned out to have painful KS, despite being very happy to carry on jumping

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Yes, back will be being checked as part of her MOT - taking no chances ?

Thank you quizzie and vhf for your suggestions - making it boring for her is hopefully the way forwards. We were only jumping about 60cm from a trot but still! She finds poles on the ground quite exciting, until you make it difficult for her, so maybe we’ll have to do that building up to tiny fences amongst the poles. In walk whilst holding onto my neckstrap!

Reactions: vhf

quizzie

Visit site

Thank you quizzie and vhf for your suggestions - making it boring for her is hopefully the way forwards. We were only jumping about 60cm from a trot but still! She finds poles on the ground quite exciting, until you make it difficult for her, so maybe we’ll have to do that building up to tiny fences amongst the poles. In walk whilst holding onto my neckstrap!

I bought a brain frazzled 6 yo from Ireland some years ago, and spent 2 years walking into grids with him, as he used to panic/run after the fence ( due to how he was jumped in Ireland....I was warned!). Neck strap definitely useful!

He turned into a horse of a life time....still inclined to take hold, but completed Adv. BE!

vhf

Visit site
Just remembered when 2 years ago I was sidelined with a dreadful frozen shoulder having been showing youngster the rudiments of jumping, and had a double of 10" cross poles still up in the field. Hopped on my then 17yo desperate to sit on something - one handed, bitless bridle, no saddle (couldn't put it on!) and ambled about. As you do, I thought 'why not' at the tiny double. Well, 4 strides out she took off in gallop, bounced the double clearing both by about 3 ft, and bronked off up the field. How I stayed on I don't know, probably the thought of what OH would say if I didn't; given I was on "absolutely-no-riding-under-everyone's-orders".

GreyDot

Visit site
Holly Lenahan has been posting some really interesting videos on her YouTube channel lately - she has an OTTB in Australia which she is teaching to jump and the videos are very honest and show a lot of handy tips. Very useful to see how the horse is progressing week to week.
As @quizzie mentioned above, lots and lots of poles before and after the jump.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Quizzie - if she gets up to advanced BE it certainly won't be with me on board her! I think I'd fall off in fright!
VHF - ironically I did think that maybe I could jump the old boy (he's retired from jumping/eventing now) a little bit first to get my confidence back - but to be honest I think he'd be worse currently!
GreyDot - thank you for that, I'll go have a look :)

Lyle

Visit site
Does she do it when free jumping? If you can set up a small free jump lane (even just two small jumps, a cross and something bigger to follow) it would be an interesting exercise.

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Does she do it when free jumping? If you can set up a small free jump lane (even just two small jumps, a cross and something bigger to follow) it would be an interesting exercise.

Haven't tried free jumping her, I'll have to ask the YO if we're allowed to free jump in the arena. She can do some serious bucks and broncs when turned out but hasn't (touch wood) bronced out hacking, schooling etc.

photo_jo

Visit site
Haven't tried free jumping her, I'll have to ask the YO if we're allowed to free jump in the arena. She can do some serious bucks and broncs when turned out but hasn't (touch wood) bronced out hacking, schooling etc.
How did she jump when she raced? Have you watched any videos of her in action?

BronsonNutter

Visit site
How did she jump when she raced? Have you watched any videos of her in action?

Good - boldly! She was taught to jump 'properly' and does lift in front, lowers her head etc. Not like a stereotypical flat and fast hurdler.

The broncing is pretty new, since her anaemia has resolved - before she never tried to (as she probably didn't have the energy or enthusiasm).