Bronking pony...

_jetset_

Visit site
Grace was much calmer in the field today, so I lunged her in her saddle and bridle tonight. She was really good so I decided to jump on her...

She was good to get on and walk away but after two small circles on the lunge she threw a bucking fit. I stayed on and made her walk on, only for it to happen five minutes later.

Any suggestions? Back ok, teeth being done in October and saddle ok...

S_N

Visit site
Ummmm Taking this on face value, I would say that she is just young, it's a new place and people and she's playing/testing you

_jetset_

Visit site
I thought that too at first, but she seemed to do it for no reason... I suppose it could have been the fact there were shadows.

Really, I just want to know I am doing things the right way. Going to just lunge her tomorrow night as she is very very good on the lunge and then sit on her the following day.

We are only walking though when I get on... is this right?

GTs

Visit site
I would suggest slowing things down - being day 2 new home, being lunged, jumped on, etc is an awful lot.

Sal_E

Visit site
Yes - testing you, sorting out pecking order, excitement, possibly nerves etc. I'd be worried about clamping down on her too much whilst you're waiting for the all clear on the teeth, always a tricky one.

If you do think it's behavioural, help your own confidence by wearing body pro, using neck strap etc. Lunge her until she's tired (but not shattered, especially as she's young!), then get someone to put you on the lunge. Don't forget that youngsters don't really have much patience, so avoid the temptation to walk round & round (sense of false security - walking feels safer!) - she's already warmed up, so get on, walk for a few strides (so she doesn't learn that she can trot off as soon as you mount) & then get trotting. Don't forget that bored horses FIND excuses to react, so don't be too repetitive. If she does buck, concentrate of putting your leg on & get her head up - once she's stopped, send her forwards.

Hopefully you'll only have this problem for a few days but to be aware that she's got it in her & may catch you out once you think she's 'cured'! I'd say pop her on the lunge before every ride for a little while...

Iestyn

Visit site
Sorry to point out the obvious...you have a horse that has barely been sat on in the past few months, and before that was backed and then turned away. After getting physical stuff checked, I would say it's pretty typical and to be expected.

Sal_E

Visit site
Just replied then seen this - I would say no, you're not doing the right thing, sorry! Walking is booooring for a horse who is clearly very forwards thinking! Get on & get moving - then she has to think about YOU & not all the other distractions... Don't ask too much of her though, she's obviously a bit insecure (ref. turning out post) & you don't want to upset her.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... there seems to be lots of contradictions in people's advice (not on here but in general) and I wanted to know how I should be going about things.

I will lunge her tomorrow without getting on, get her really working, perhaps even with some side reins on if I can find them... Then Wednesday I will get back on her and walk her away then get her trotting.

Obviously her steering needs some work (LOL!) so I was just wary about trotting without steering, but it seems to be the general consensus on here that she needs to get going rather than just walking around.

S_N

Visit site
lol at you hun! I have a mental image of you haveing no steering or brakes and making it to Cornwall in one night for an impromptu visit
ooo.gif
shocked.gif
Sorry!

Have you thought about long reining her in the future, when you know her a little better? This will help infinitely with your steering. Having said that, as she is so young and green, would you not be better building up a relationship with her and letting her settle, consentrating on groundwork, before leaping aboard so to speak?

4whitesocks

Visit site
totally agree on the long reining/continuing to lunge - get to know her ways from the ground and make sure she's cottoned on to your voice commands...when you do get up, neck strap and a friend with you and get straight into but I'd give it a few more days to let her settle with you (not just the other horses)

Sal_E

Visit site
Now Becki, you forgot to mention that you didn't have steering!!! Can someone put you both on the lunge so you don't have to worry too much about it for now?

burtie

Visit site
This is a young horse in a new home, you say she was backed a year ago then turned away, but do you really know how much she actually did and how she behaved at the time?

I would leave her in the field until fully settled then start from scratch as if she was never backed in the first place.

Do you know why she was turned away for so long after backing?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sounds like it's all toooo exciting for words for her at the moment.

Personally I'd give her a week to settle in in the field.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Definatly a youngster thing, everything is new and exciting for her at the mo and she is probably trying to push the boundaries too.

When i first got my horse she would bronk round the school whenever she felt like it for no apparent reason. Now she has settled into a routine and knows her limits etc she hasn't bronked for about a month!!!

When she did it with me i would just pull her up and carry on as if nothing had happened and she soon got bored.

Agree with Sally as well that walking is boring for a youngster, my horse always starts tp play up in walk around the school if i do it for too long.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... SN, I have visions of ending up in lots of places at the moment, none of which seem particularly appealing, LOL!

I do know why she was given a year off (she is on loan so no reason for the owner to lie because she can go back at any time). The owner bought her own land but has only recently had the school put in so when Grace came back from being backed, she didn't have the facilities to continue. Plus, she was still growing (still is now in fact) so I don't think it was a bad thing.

I do know that a man got on her a few months after she was backed and just cantered her around (hmmm) and she bronked him off because it was discovered that she had a twinge in her back. But I also think she has it in her a little too although she never bucks when being lunged???

I am going to continue lunging her for the next few days, and maybe just get on and off a few times rather than doing too much. I am also thinking of lunging her in side reins, but I am going to do a new post for that...

It was in no way a get off me buck, more a bit panicky than anything. I did have someone holding her on the lunge for me and she stopped as soon as she was asked on the lunge because she is very well trained in this way. Her owner did a lot of parelli work with her, but what I have found is that she tends to listen to the person lunging far more than she listens to the rider.

I am hoping to get my trainer out to do some work with her as she is far more experienced than me, and I am not afraid to admit that this is my first time doing this sort of thing, but I am very willing to learn and listen.

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple"> My mare was exactly like this, as well as rearing and flinging me all over the place. To start with I'd always lunge her (without side reins as accepting the contact wasn't my priority it was getting her moving and thinking forwards).

Then when I got on her I used to have to start trotting straight away. She'd still buck but nothing like the paddy's she'd have from walk. I just kept driving her forwards, doesn't matter about steering if you're in an enclosed area just get her forwards! Then when she feels as though she has settled bring her back to walk for a few good strides and back up into trot. I'd know when to bring my mare straight back into trot as her bum would start bouncing to get ready for a hissy fit!
Gradually the walk will get longer. Always finish on a good note and don't do too much with her as she is still young. It'll take time but gradually you'll get there.

In my opinion, when you get all 3gaits without bucking (although odd buck in canter bound to happen!), no matter how long it takes, and she's going freely forwards, then it's time to start working on the contact.

Bucking is a youngster thing, life is SO exciting! </span>