Bronking

Becky1200

Visit site
I tried to get on my youngster cob yesterday. I have hacked him and ridden him around the field and have been long reining him. But yesterday as soon as I got on he bronked off, I’ve had a physio Out and he hasnt got any soreness is this normal behaviour?
Any advice be much appreciated.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I'm not sure how this would be classified as normal behavior, tbh.

A few things could've happened here:

Was he bit or stung by a bug while you were mounting?

Does his saddle fit?

Was there any wound/bite/swelling/or mark under where his saddle goes? From field shenanigans and whatnot.

Did you brush him with your leg or spur (if applicable) while mounting?

Was this completely out of nowhere or an escalation? As in, was he nappy, sour, behind the leg or otherwise resistent in his previous rides?

tristar

Visit site
agree check for flies an spray before riding,

did you lunge and long rein before mounting and did you lean on him to see if he was willing first?

the recent weather has made the grass grow so could have extra energy a s well

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
By "bronking" I presume you mean bucking and leaping about; is it normal? Well it's not unusual for a young horse to have a bit of a wobbly now and again, but it shouldn't be happening if he's been well broken. Look to saddle fit of course, and be prepared the next time you get on. I would also lunge him for 5 - 10 minute with the saddle on before mounting for a little while too.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
No, not normal, something's up when a recently broken horse behaves like that. The easy things to rule in/out (as long as you're confident) are saddle and bridle by riding horse bareback and in a headcollar (not at the same time). Probably best to get a pro involved to run through the restarting process with him again (not saying you've done a bad job, but just for another set of eyes on him as much as anything). And then ultimately he might need a full vet workup if the broncing persists.

sherry90

Visit site
I tried to get on my youngster cob yesterday. I have hacked him and ridden him around the field and have been long reining him. But yesterday as soon as I got on he bronked off, I’ve had a physio Out and he hasnt got any soreness is this normal behaviour?
Any advice be much appreciated.

You’ve had a physio out that quickly since yesterday? If that’s true and they’ve given him the ok, I’d be checking saddle fit then if he continues to do it get the vet.

Becky1200

Visit site
I'm not sure how this would be classified as normal behavior, tbh.

A few things could've happened here:

Was he bit or stung by a bug while you were mounting?

Does his saddle fit?

Was there any wound/bite/swelling/or mark under where his saddle goes? From field shenanigans and whatnot.

Did you brush him with your leg or spur (if applicable) while mounting?

Was this completely out of nowhere or an escalation? As in, was he nappy, sour, behind the leg or otherwise resistent in his previous rides?
Thanks
Yes completely out of nowhere he usually is very laid back and willing. I applied fly spray before riding and the saddle had been fitted possibility That he could of been bitten but I did not see any marks

Becky1200

Visit site
No, not normal, something's up when a recently broken horse behaves like that. The easy things to rule in/out (as long as you're confident) are saddle and bridle by riding horse bareback and in a headcollar (not at the same time). Probably best to get a pro involved to run through the restarting process with him again (not saying you've done a bad job, but just for another set of eyes on him as much as anything). And then ultimately he might need a full vet workup if the broncing persists.
Thankyou I have now booked a professional who deals with a lot of youngsters to come out

Becky1200

Visit site
By "bronking" I presume you mean bucking and leaping about; is it normal? Well it's not unusual for a young horse to have a bit of a wobbly now and again, but it shouldn't be happening if he's been well broken. Look to saddle fit of course, and be prepared the next time you get on. I would also lunge him for 5 - 10 minute with the saddle on before mounting for a little while too.
Okay thankyou

Wizpop

Visit site
I’ve just had a very similar situation with my young horse. Put back boots on for first time ( never thought-she’s a mare!) and got bronced off- should have known better and lunged first- just wondering if you had anything different tack wise on your cob?