Broody bantams

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I've been away for a few days and someone was pet sitting for me. I've just cleaned out my hen coop and found two bantams have squirrelled away all these eggs to try to hatch them. They are tiny Pekin bantams and the eggs are not fertile so I've had to take them away but top marks for trying girls. Mavis was sitting on 15 eggs all by herself. I badly need to get some fertile eggs for her as the last lot were from a 'faulty' cockrel and poor Mavis tried so hard to hatch them :(

Mavis's-haul.jpg

millikins

Visit site
I have a little silkie/pekin X bantam who just lives to be broody. I bought 6 "fertile" partridge eggs to try and do a bit of re wilding; they were all addled. Tried to buy some day old chicks for her, breeder wouldn't sell in case she attacked them but sold me 2 lemon pencilled friesian eggs which started then died before developing. In desperation I went somewhere less fussy and paid an extortionate amount for 2 mongrel bantam chicks a few days old, hen took to them happily.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Glad you got babies for her in the end millikins :) I refuse to pay the silly prices that some people round here are asking. I go to my usual chap in Yorkshire whenever I can get over there because his stock is good and really well priced. Mavis is desperate to become a mummy so I hope I can get her some fertile eggs 🥚 soon!