Brook Farm (Essex)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Just wondering what Brook Farm is like as I am considering going there for the Area Festival in July. It's a bit of a schlep round the M25 from West Berkshire, but I am struggling to fit stuff in around family commitments. Currently I am sulking at being my husband's side of the family's representative at his cousin's 'hen do'. I put that in quotes as it is just afternoon tea two hours drive away and I have been cajoled into going. I like his cousin, but we are giving up a weekend for the wedding which will be lovely, and I'd really rather be playing ponies than making polite conversation with people I don't know over cucumber sandwiches!! Thank you! :) x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Brook farm is quite a nice venue they have 2 huge outdoor sand arenas that are used for the rings, they also have 2 indoor schools mainly used as warm ups but they have been used at times for the rings, parking is good it's really easy to find and has a nice cafe have been there loads of times.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
One of my locals and I like it as a venue.

If it's outside there are usually 2 x arenas alongside each other marked with temporary white boards so no banners or anything distracting apart from the occasional plant pot. There is another school alongside which is sometimes used for warm up/ collecting ring but not so close you have people warming up right next to you.

If it's indoors, the arena is 50 x 30 so feels spacious to ride in, they then tend to warm up in in the covered arena next door.

However I've only done unaffiliated dressage, jumping and combined training. For Area Festivals they may warm up indoors away from the rings.

Lovely surfaces in all the schools.

Parking is far enough away that it's not distracting but not miles away either, they also have temp stables you can hire for the day.

Good cafe with the usual things:- cheesy chips, burgers, cakes etc.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Great replies - thank you!! It says on the schedule that warm up and tests are outdoors, so hopefully that takes the indoor arenas out of the equation. Maddie and I have only done two competitions to date, so still very much feeling our way, but she does get a little looky/jumpy and spacious outdoor arenas sound good. We will go the day before and stay over as I will be on my own and it just takes a lot of the stress out of it. Although driving round the M25 on a Friday afternoon is not exactly my idea of fun!! I am liking the sound of the café though!! :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
One of the indoor schools only has a full enclosed wall along one side the other 3 walls are open at the top so it's more like a school with a roof really, I have Arabs and have competed there loads and they don't find any of the arenas spooky at all.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
One of the indoor schools only has a full enclosed wall along one side the other 3 walls are open at the top so it's more like a school with a roof really, I have Arabs and have competed there loads and they don't find any of the arenas spooky at all.

Thank you, that sounds promising. I have no great aspirations, I just want it to be a confidence giving trip for both of us, so fingers crossed there won't be any pony eating demons hiding around the edge of the arena. ;) x

quizzie

Visit site
Good to hear Brook Farm is a nice venue, as I have entered on the Friday too, having never been there before, and am braving the Dartford Tunnel on a Friday to do so!!!

criso

Visit site

I think of that school as the covered school because it has a roof but no walls but if they say warm up outside, it'll be the bit on the side.

There is very little to spook at, just the white boards - which to be fair is enough for mine but he behaves better there than anywhere else.

Found this picture online and the only difference is there will be another arena next to it on show days.

Capture.GIF

criso

Visit site
And a video showing all the way round - don't know the person, just came up on a search. You can see the warm up to the left on the other side of the railings and the second arena. You notice the traffic noise on this but you don't really when you are there, it's just the distant hum you get.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Would you like a groom ;) it's only just over an hour for me on google :)

OMG that would be amazing!! Just don't expect me to talk beforehand, and then I will probably have verbal diarrhoea afterwards!! But I will buy you cake. :D:D

ETA I don't tend to ask many people to groom for me, as as much as I like my friends, I need someone who can deal with me being in a zone and not make me feel more nervous!! I know you will be fine. :) xx

Last edited:

quizzie

Visit site
I will be competing on the Saturday, so just driving over on the Friday and will stay over. Good luck!!

Good luck to you too....at the moment there are very few entries for the Friday, so wondering if they ever amalgamate days?!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Good luck to you too....at the moment there are very few entries for the Friday, so wondering if they ever amalgamate days?!

Thank you. :)

I noticed the entries were quite low on the Friday when I entered for my class, but I am not sure they can change the dates once entries open, other than if they have to rejig the whole thing like they did for the gales at the 2020 Winter Regionals. I don't know for certain though.