Bruised ribs?

Nari

Visit site
Welsh cob managed to tip himself over on Sunday and landed on one side. Got up and seemed fine, but gave him a bute that night and the next day off. Tuesday I tacked up and when I did the girth up he freaked, I thought maybe I'd somehow pinched him so ungirthed him at which point he calmed down and was then ok for me to girth up again - very slowly - and ride. Wednesday didn't freak out but clearly uptight, thought he was anticipating a problem and carried on slowly - again his usual cheery self to ride. Had the back lady that afternoon (she's a livery on the same yard) and she found some tightness behind, which she thought was from bracing, and a sore spot on his ribs. Today I only picked up his saddle and he shot to the back of the box shaking. He was, however, quite happy to have his bridle on and go for a walk in hand and there was no problem with how he was moving. I should add riding at the moment is short walk hacks, nothing remotely demanding.

Would bruised/sore ribs really cause this drastic a reaction to the saddle yet no issue at all if I carry on and get on? I know him inside out and this is unheard of behaviour, hence why today I didn't push him and decided to lead him out instead. Normally I'd be speaking to the vet, but at the moment that's not as straight forward as it usually is. And if it is likely to be that does anyone have any idea how long it's likely to take to heal? Metabolic problems mean I really do need to keep him exercised.

Green Bean

Visit site
It sounds like he has injured himself in his fall. Very concerning that he is reacting so badly. I would prefer a vet sees him straight away. If not an option then would give him a week off completely, no exercise at all and perhaps in a smaller paddock on his own so he can't hurt himself further. If not okay after that, he really needs to see the vet as it could be any number of things

Nari

Visit site
The thing is it's only to the saddle (girth?) that he's reacting, he showed very little reaction to the chiropractor and has no issue being touched all along his side. He does tend to be a bit of a drama queen over a perceived problem hence why I carried on carefully the last two days.

As I said before normally I would at least speak to a vet and preferably get one out, but these aren't normal times and it certainly isn't an emergency.

No exercise isn't an option for him I'm afraid, though I will compromise and lead out n hand like I did today and which he seemed perfectly happy with. He may or may not have sore ribs, but this time of year a week off work is running too high a risk of laminitis for him.

be positive

Visit site
I am not sure what a vet will do other than prescribe a course of bute, that may be useful, if he is badly bruised it can get worse before it gets better, they can fracture ribs so be aware it could take a fair time to heal and if in doubt give him as long as he needs as it could be more than him being a drama queen.
I have a horse here that I always considered to be one but when he was badly injured he was surprisingly stoic, once the initial shock wore off, he ended up back in work with a fairly serious injury that several vets had completely missed despite him having numerous diagnostics done on the more obvious site of injury and them declaring him fixed, totally sound.

Nari

Visit site
I do have bute so when the vet calls me back I will ask about upping his half a day dose for a little while (and then worry about missing raised digital pulses :rolleyes:). Watching him very closely tonight he was watching me slightly if I went on that side of him near his ribs, though he wasn't objecting to me touching - well no more than his usual "don't touch me" routine, he isn't the most touchy feely person at any time!

daydreamer

Visit site
I wonder if you could use a masterson method type technique to pin down the sore bit more? I would try moving my hand around the area I thought might be sore and watching the horse very closely. Just use two fingertips resting on the skin with absolutely no pressure. Move them slowly and look for the horse blinking or the nose wrinkling or you might get a bigger reaction if sore. It isn’t a treatment but as I said it might help to work out where is sore.

Reactions: TPO

Nari

Visit site
Daydreamer the trouble is he doesn't really want me there at all, he's looking wary if I go to that side and move my hand towards him so I suspect the anticipation is going to give me a pain response before I touch anywhere painful. As I said before he isn't a touchy feely pony at the best of times - grooming is tolerated if I use soft brushes and am quick, and he feels the same as the royal family about hugs in public! I did think this morning as I was putting a rug on that, looking long his side, there was a slightly swollen area which I'll have a better look at tonight when he's eating his hay.

From my point of view walking him out in hand feels like it's going to be the death of me. He's still marching out at a walk most big horses don't match and I swear he speeds up on the steep hill coming home. I'm too old and lazy for this!

Nari

Visit site
I spoke to the vet who recommended bute, seeing if he'll let me pinpoint the sore area (unlikely) and gentle exercise to keep him mobile, so I'll keep walking out in hand. If there's no improvement he's at the yard the middle of next week and will have a look then and x-ray if he feels it's needed. Apparently horses often don't tolerate rib pain well, which would explain his extreme reaction.