Bruised sole?

Keltic

Visit site
How long would you expect it to be sore for?
My cob was lame last wed when bought in from the field, I found a large stone wedged in her shoe, after removing it she seemed much better, just slightly lame. She was still lame at the weekend just in trot walking fine, she isnt dog lame just a little short. Ive had the farrier this morning to remove her shoe just in case and he has found nothing at all. He thinks the same as me bruised sole. How long could she feel sore for do you think?

SplashofSoy

Visit site
Could take a good couple of weeks to go even up to a month depending on where bruise is and how your horse moves. Have you tried poulticing with shoe off for a few days as that could aid in sorting it out, also arnica tablets to speed it up.

crunchie1

Visit site
tub it as much as you can too, with epsom salts if you have any .. did farrier use hoof testers on it ?

edited to say I agree with above - hot poultice it too as it will draw the bruise out and incase it turns into an abcess will draw that too - would do this for a few days

Last edited:

Keltic

Visit site
Hmm not sure she would let me tub it lol she thinks buckets are for feed only!! Will try poulticing it and give her some arnica how many tablets will she need?

Flicker

Visit site
I've had a horse off work for a good 2 - 3 weeks with a bruised sole. A hot kaolin poultice works very well (and smells gorgeous!). My mare went lame again for a day or so once the shoe went back on, but that resolved itself very quickly - farrier assured me it is not unusual for that to happen.