Bruised Sole

Dizzleton

Visit site
**I know this isn't the correct forum for this post, but there are a lot more people viewing that may help!** :)

Can anyone help?

My horse that is usually very sound and has good, solid hooves has recently been lame. My farrier came out last wednesday and trimmed my horses hooves then reshod him. Admittedly he trimmed them a little short to get rid of a small crack, but nothing major.

The next day he was really tender in his hooves and was hobbling to his field. I rang the farrier who told me to keep and eye on him etc. The following few days he got better and could walk virtually normally again - So I assume he was just footsore from the trimming.

Saturday came round and he was still a little sore on the hard grass / concrete road so I asked the farrier to come back out. The farrier then noticed some bruising on his front right sole near to the frog (Not caused by the farrier) He readjusted his front shoes which made him better.

Now, still today he is sore on that foot. He looks 99% sound walking in the field and on the concrete road but really bobs his head whilst trotting on a hard surface. His hoof is warm to the touch, but his pulse seems the same.

FYI - He's turned out from 8 - 7 everyday and stabled on an extra deep bed at night. For 3 weeks it hasn't rained once so the fields were bone dry. Yesterday and today we've had small showers

I've never had a horse with a bruise sole before, so I have a few questions:

1 - How long does it take to mend?
2 - Is there anything I can do that'd help?
3 - Should he be lame on it, or is the lameness being caused by something else?
4 - Should I call the vet out?
5 - How would I know if it's gone into a haematoma?

Any help would be great!

Last edited:

pippixox

Visit site
my boy has occasionally bruised his sole, sometimes has even shown as a a red mark on his hoof. he normally doesnt go fully lame on it though, just a bit tender- always happened during icy ground, he finds the hard icy ground uncomfortable to walk on, so try to keep him in then.
has never lasted long, just rested him for a few days and kept in when really hard icy ground, but if it lasts more than 5 days i would be worried it was more then a bruise. however, it probably depends on the horse for recovery rate.
some horses appear more sensitive to bruises so limp more than others

Dizzleton

Visit site
my boy has occasionally bruised his sole, sometimes has even shown as a a red mark on his hoof. he normally doesnt go fully lame on it though, just a bit tender- always happened during icy ground, he finds the hard icy ground uncomfortable to walk on, so try to keep him in then.
has never lasted long, just rested him for a few days and kept in when really hard icy ground, but if it lasts more than 5 days i would be worried it was more then a bruise. however, it probably depends on the horse for recovery rate.
some horses appear more sensitive to bruises so limp more than others

Thank you,

The last few days since Saturday he appears 99% sound in walk on hard ground but sore to trot.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Some thoughts...

Has a nail bind been ruled out?
Could it have been the over-trimming to remove the crack that is making him lame?
Is he getting an abscess?
Has laminitis been ruled out?

Dizzleton

Visit site
Some thoughts...

Has a nail bind been ruled out?
Could it have been the over-trimming to remove the crack that is making him lame?
Is he getting an abscess?
Has laminitis been ruled out?

Yes the farrier has assessed him for nail bind and an abscess and ruled them out. We have also ruled out lami.

The bruise is visible on his sole, so I believe he has stood on a sharp stone whilst careering round his field.

faith123

Visit site
I have been poulticing my mares abscess with a sugardine (Sugar and iodine) paste and reading up on this people have said it is good for bringing our bruises....

Might be worth a try