Brushing boots or something!!

trendybraincell

Visit site
I am at my wits end! The Welsh Cob is close behind so I like to use boots behind if I lunge or when hacking/jumping etc but I can't find any that don't rub! The trouble I have is that he has quite alot of bone so they need to be generous but he's got relatively short cannons so full size can often be too long causing more rubbing issues!

He's currently got WW brushing boots (in Full size), but the straps have almost rubbed through the neoprene and are rubbing the front of his legs every time I hack out, so they need replacing fairly soon.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shortish boots, if the straps are higher up I think that may help the problem of rubbing, also I think he needs something more shaped around the fetlock (if that makes sense)

Open to all suggestions :D

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Westrop knee boots upside down.
I spent the first winter developing the inner thigh by slow hill work, also all work in slow mode, no rushing, he needs to strengthen to work slowly.
If he is shod behind, it might help to remove shoes.

Last edited:

trendybraincell

Visit site
Is there a reason why you haven't tried Bandages?

I use bandages for flatwork :eek: I would just prefer boots for hacking/jumping for various reasons, mostly because I hack through woods I don't want to be concerned about bandages getting caught and unravelling.

MrsD, I would happily remove the back shoes, but he doesn't have very good feet and when they have been off the condition of the hoof doesn't seem to last well. So for now prefer shoes on.
I am lucky that I have alot of decent hills to utilise so his hacking is always hill work and only at walk. He is also training medium/advanced medium dressage at home so I don't think its a lack of muscle. But thank you for the suggestions

Last edited:

catkin

Visit site
Would fetlock boots work, or do you need the protection high up on his cannon bones?

I have trimmed down a pair of old-fashioned pair of leather brushing boots to fit a horse with lots of bone but short legs - could work with a pair of neoprene ones too if the strike pad isn't too tall.

trendybraincell

Visit site
I did think about trying fetlock boots, he only strikes low so the length isn't a necessity.

But as a dressage diva I've never bought fetlock boots, does the strap tend to sit higher than the bottom strap of a pair of brushing boots? Looking at the WW boots, its the bottom strap cutting in that causes the worst problem when he flexes the joint.

I did trim the last set of brushing boots, but that didn't seem to help :( they were legacy boots

Ladybird

Visit site
Most of the neoprene/plastic type fetlock boots have a wide elastic strap across the front of the cannon, do you think this would rub?

I have some Masta one's just like I've described.

ETA they're for a Section D too

Oberon

Visit site
I use bandages for flatwork :eek: I would just prefer boots for hacking/jumping for various reasons, mostly because I hack through woods I don't want to be concerned about bandages getting caught and unravelling.

MrsD, I would happily remove the back shoes, but he doesn't have very good feet and when they have been off the condition of the hoof doesn't seem to last well. So for now prefer shoes on.
I am lucky that I have alot of decent hills to utilise so his hacking is always hill work and only at walk. He is also training medium/advanced medium dressage at home so I don't think its a lack of muscle. But thank you for the suggestions

If that's the case it is a diet problem, not a hoof problem.

He doesn't have a muscle problem does he?

whisp&willow

Visit site
not everything can be sorted by going barefoot.....

if he is close behind then he is likely to strike himself whether shod or not, and the op has already said that she wishes to have him shod.

op i would try fetlock boots over the neoprene wrap-arounds, purely because the fetlock boots have a strike pad, and the neoprene ones would probably wear through quite quickly.

Oberon

Visit site
I'm not sure where I have ever written that everything can be solved by going barefoot.

And thank you but I can read and I did see that OP wishes to remain shod - however the reason was down to hoof condition. That is a dietry issue and not a hoof issue.

whisp&willow

Visit site
well each to their own eh? ;)

my point is that regardless of whether or not the horse is shod, or possible dietary issues regarding foot condition are addressed, the horse will more than likely still be close behind. (based on my assumption that it is due to conformation)

Brownmare

Visit site
well each to their own eh? ;)

my point is that regardless of whether or not the horse is shod, or possible dietary issues regarding foot condition are addressed, the horse will more than likely still be close behind. (based on my assumption that it is due to conformation)

Not wishing to stir things here but actually my mare has stopped brushing behind since being barefoot :) and she had truly dreadful hooves but mineral balancing has given her the strongest hooves on the yard!

whisp&willow

Visit site
do you mean proprioception? if not then im sorry but i an ignorant to what you mean. :eek:

op: i always liked the look of these boots... and resisted feeding my earlier boot addiction as i never needed them... but also being fleece lined they may reduce rubbing for him. ;)

http://www.eskadron.org.uk/#

darn it! link didnt work- but search the site for fetlock boots and you'l find them. ;)

Oberon

Visit site
do you mean proprioception? if not then im sorry but i an ignorant to what you mean. :eek:

op: i always liked the look of these boots... and resisted feeding my earlier boot addiction as i never needed them... but also being fleece lined they may reduce rubbing for him. ;)

http://www.eskadron.org.uk/#

Yes sorry. It was my fifth attempt at spelling it too
crazy.gif

whisp&willow

Visit site
Not wishing to stir things here but actually my mare has stopped brushing behind since being barefoot :) and she had truly dreadful hooves but mineral balancing has given her the strongest hooves on the yard!

im glad to hear you have found a solution to your problem. i dont want to have an argument with anyone here- i just dont believe that taking shoes off is the only way to approach a problem. (and yes i know nobody stated it was. ;) )

and as the op has stated its not an option that they believe will be suitable, they asked for suggestions on brushing boots... not feet. maybe im just grouchy...! :eek:

trendybraincell

Visit site
Look at that, go out for a bite to eat and a whole discussion starts in my wake :)
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will try to address everyones responses.

bluebellfreddy; Yes have tried the Extra wide, thought they were going to be the solution, sadly they were not. I think its the shape as the boot wraps around the front/top of the fetlock that causes our main problem.

Ladybird; If the strap sits higher than those on his various brushing I think they may help...I'm certainly going to widen the search to include fetlock boots now.

Stormmoments; I have a set of stretch & flex, they are great from solving the rubbing but I think he needs a plastic strike pad as he seems to be going through those slowly

Oberon; no muscle problems that I'm aware of. Regarding the diet, he has Top spec comprehensive which has given him much stronger feet that seem to grow like mad!! It was quite a few years when back shoes were last off, but as I said I'm happy with them so that won't be changing.

Thank you everyone for your input, lets I can find something for the precious animal!!