Brussels Sprouts

lelly

Visit site
Would you or do you feed your ponies Brussels? We went to a farm park yesterday and the ponies were given Brussels sprouts. I didn't see them eating them though, I just thought what a strange thing to be feeding them. They had a sheep trough full so not just one or two. They were in good condition so no problems there but just wondered if it would be bad for them. Not to mention the wind!!

PeeGee

Visit site
Oakley gets a brussel sprout walking stick on Christmas Day, he quite enjoys munching them. Sometimes I stick a few in my pocket as treats.:D

JennyNZ

Visit site
Have found that horses like all sorts of stuff, if given the opportunity.

I used to work in a fruit and veg and bring home all sorts for mine to try. Kiwi fruit were a favourite :)

pony&cow

Visit site
Hmmm I was told by a vet after a compaction colic case to feed sprouts for a few days to keep my my ponies insides moving... So i dont know if i'd fancy feeding them as treats, although im sure the odd one won't hurt.

TrasaM

Visit site
Yes, tried them after Christmas and most of the horses liked them. Arab baby fished them out of his feed and spat them out. Pah!
Maybe they're like humans with regards to sprouts ; either love them or hate them :)

lelly

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies folks. I was a tiny bit worried about it as one of my old horses died as a result of eating cabbage that a neighbour had thrown over the fence. It caused an impaction and horse had to be put down. Slightly different from sprouts, I know.