BSJA for Dummies!

LifeofRiley

Visit site
I'm hoping to affiliate my boy next year - but I'm really confused as to how it all works!! I know you start with British Novice but how do you progress/qualify - please explain in idiot terms so I can understand!!!

confused.gif

GatefieldHorses

Visit site
You can jump a foxhunter as your first class if you wish. There is no limit in that way.
British novice is for horses under £100
Discovery is under £175
Newcomers is under £300
Foxhunter is under £600.

After that you jump opens etc.
By getting four double clears British novice you qual 2nd round, 4 double clears disc take you to disc 2nd rounds etc.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Basically you dont have to start off at British Novice but most people do. Once your horse has won over £100 then you are out of BN and can no longer jump it.

Once you have won £600 then you are out of Foxhunter but you can jump 'open' classes which start from 1mtr i think.

You can also try to get your 4 doubles clears in BN & Disc which will take you to the second rounds where you have to jump 3 rounds and get placed to go to the finals. The 3rd round goes up to about 1.10 though i think but i could stand to be corrected on that.

There are loads of qualifiers that you can enter too at various different levels. The most common one is that amatuer qualifiers. You have to qualify within the first 8 (usually) and then you get to do the second rounds. If you qualify for them too then you get to jump the finals at Areana UK.

It will say it on the schedules anyway.

If you have someone to go out with now to watch and learn then i would do that coz i have been going to affiliated shows for over a year now and i am still learning new things.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Do they really start at 80cm
shocked.gif
See i told you that i learn new stuff everyday LOL.

I think it depends on the show centre for the qualifiers as i am sure at Norton Heath they were qualifying to 8th
confused.gif
I may have that confused with another qualifier though

Rambo

Visit site
Yeah....Intro shows start at 80cm, but qualifiers start at 90cm...

In the Am 1st Rounds it *should* be the first 6 to qualify as long as you jump clear in the 1st round. However, I somehow managed to qualify by coming 10th at one show
shocked.gif

The Am 2nd Rounds qualify down to 10th place though...

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So when does the "year" run from - is it Jan to Jan so if I join this Jan will I get a full year?

[/ QUOTE ]

The year starts the day you join
smile.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
You can join at anytime and get the full year, i joined in October so my membership will run out next october.

As for qualifiers i think they start at all different times throughout the year.

Horses ages and things go from Jan to Jan though i think so even though my horse is not 5yo til half way through next year, when it comes to Jan she will be classified as a 5yo.

I think thats right (feel free to correct me if i am wrong anyone)

nomini

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah....Intro shows start at 80cm, but qualifiers start at 90cm...

In the Am 1st Rounds it *should* be the first 6 to qualify as long as you jump clear in the 1st round. However, I somehow managed to qualify by coming 10th at one show
shocked.gif

The Am 2nd Rounds qualify down to 10th place though...

[/ QUOTE ]
I though intro's started at 70cm, down this way they do anyway!

Rambo

Visit site
Haha.....Seems we are both wrong
tongue.gif

Here's the info from the BSJA website :-

[ QUOTE ]
The maximum height allowed under INTRO is 1.00m. There is no restriction on the minimum level which will be determined by the “market” in any particular area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So does that mean i was right in saying that opens start at 1mtr
confused.gif

I'm confused LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!

No, not really......the Opens are often 80cm (or lower as per above posts). Technically the 90cm Am Qualifiers are Open in as much as they are open to any grade of horse, but not any rider.

dieseldog

Visit site
BSJA 'Years'

BN/Discovery is from 1st May to 30th april (I think) so if you jump 4 dc in these classes before 1st may you can jump in the summer 2nd rounds

New/Fox is 1st June to 31st May

Amateur classes are 1st Sept to 31st August - so if you come in the top 6 between now and 31st august you can compete in the amateur 2nd rounds next autumn.

Rambo

Visit site
Yes you are quite correct (although the regional league years have just been changed to run Jan 1st to Dec 31st now)...the 'Years' I was referring to are your personal and horses membership years
smile.gif

Rambo

Visit site
The whole thing is a bit farcical isn't it ! I don't know why they don't just standardise them all to say 1st April to 31st March (or whatever), and make life easier for everyone. I guess they're trying to tailor the different periods according to when the finals are (Scope is earlier than HOYS), but surely it doesn't really matter
crazy.gif