BSJA Jersey

frannieuk

Visit site
Would I be right in assuming that if my horse and I are registered with BSJA UK/England we will be able to compete at BSJA in Jersey (and in Guernsey)?

Got to spend a month in each island next year and thought it'd make a change to do some BSJA over there.

Thankies
grin.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Yes BUT no!!!

To compete at a BSJA jersey show you have to pay an extra £5 a show as a visiting member, double clears will count but you have to make sure they send them over to HO as they tend to only send across if its known a horse competes in England as well.

Guernsey again is yes but i think there is a visiting member requirement as well but this may have changed as they have changed their structure in the last year or so since I last went to a show over there.

Both showgrounds are VERY nice, eg think inline with some of the better UK venues.

Jersey has one huge arena with an all weather large warmup split into two sections, one for jumping and one for flat work warming up! The arena contains a table (think Hickstead Road jump without the ditches!), devils dyke (without ditch in middle), permenant wall, ditch, in addition to some very impressive jumps that you won't find elsewhere as made on the showground by the handy man!

Guernsey has grass two rings, one is a working hunter ring the second is the main jumping ring. That has an all weather HUGE warmup. The main arena has a mini Hickstead bank and a devils dyke. They have also recently finished a large all weather arena which they are now running showjumping and dressage on.

Both run UK qualifiers but not many. Classes run on both Islands from 85cm up to 1m20 for seniors. Class sizes depend on the show, but generally you get about 20 in the smallest and only 3 or 4 in the largest. Most classes are sponsored though at the larger shows so you almost guarunteed your money back if jumping the 1m15s or 1m20s!!

Also people are island hopping a lot more as well now so to jump more events as the ferry costs are coming down for a trailer on the ferry.

www.bsjajersey.co.uk
www.bsjaguernsey.co.uk

both those links may be of use to you. On the BSJA jersey website if you click the 'other events' button it will bring up the yearly equestrian calendar which gives EVERY equestrian event being held in Jersey for 2006. In Janurary there is a 'round table' meeting with representatives of all the main clubs and organisers so that they can try their best not to clash events wherever possible.

You will see the Riding Clubs and dressage is also very active and no need to affiliate as you will still be judged by top UK judges (most events normally have minimum of list 3 where possible if not higher!)

Have any other questions just ask
smile.gif

Katie

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Following on here are some pics that show the Jersey arena (all BSJA shows bar two which arn't actually BSJA but are, are held at this one showground!). They are all pretty old to extent at least 6 years at best guess but the only major change is the warm up is split and has a new better surface on the jumping portion! Forgot to add all the 'rallys' will have the local coursebuilders (either Dave Robinson or George Renouard) building but considering George builds at HOYS, Olympia and the like he for starters aint your average course builder. For the larger shows (eg Liberation day or derby) tend to get a 'name' in. Phil Ashworth is a very regular visitor, and the likes of Neil Theobold, Bob Ellis, Steven Renouard (George's son) and the like also come over.

jimmysj5.jpg

jimmysj4.jpg

ambersj8.jpg

amberbigjump.jpg

Middle part of the Devils Dyke
dansj1.jpg

Photo taken from top long side looking down to bottom short side and in distance the work in arena
dansj2.jpg

This is the work in, it is now split approximately where the jumps are down the width.
Picture001.jpg

This is looking across the length of the arena at an angle to extent that the far short end is at the far left corner of the pic. (please excuse the special 'breed' of pony and its handler LOL)
fancydress2-1.jpg

The so called 'ditch' ha ha
jimmysj3.jpg

frannieuk

Visit site
WOw!!! That is awesome
smile.gif
am really looking forward to going over there, but don't think I will be jumping in the bigger classess! Thanks for taking so much time to help - will PM you
smile.gif