bucking : advice please!

Becky101

Visit site
I have had my tbxhann for about 2 months and recently he has been bucking quite alot. This is mostly in trot (though he does occasionally buck into/in canter but this is IMO just due to overexcitement as this is just the odd single buck, no jumping around with head on the floor!) so I figured i could be catching him funny occasionally as i sit? I hav made an appointment with the physio as i can't think of any reason other than his back that would cause him to do it, apart from him just trying it on, he is not overly fresh, nothing spooks him he just seems to set off everynow and again with his head between his legs!! though this has without doubt improved my seat, its obviosly not the most desirable of traits! lol. I have been just keeping my leg on and riding him through it kind of ignoring the bucks and he settles after 4 or 5 bucks and plunges. havn't been using a stick on him but do people think i should be? he is as good as gold in absolutely every other way. Any opinions/ideas? ... Btw, sorry about the length!! lol

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
There is a really good article in eventing magazine on this - do not know if you can borrow a copy.

serena2005

Visit site
people deal with buckers in different ways, really depends on how they buck,

our cob use to buck going in to canter and our instructor at the time got on a smacked him with the whip every time he bucked untill he stopped...

however with the horse i have now i wouldnt dream of doing that as im certian id be on the floor before i can say bobs your uncle..
if it is a pain thing id expect him to be doing alot more, it sounds like it is just out of excitment, if it was me i would do loads of transistions and if he bucked im bring him back to trot, or which ever gait you are coming down from, then back up untill he doesnt buck.
maybe try and catch him out and do a few walk to canter transistions, but then that may excite him even more. you can try giving him a flick with the whip and see whats his reaction is. but to be honest i dont find smacking a TB works you have to play alot of mind games with them.

Parkranger

Visit site
I'd definately carry out all the normal checks (saddle, teeth etc) before you decide it's a behavioural thing.

My boy bucks occasionally through excitement - it's more of a wayhay I love going fast kind of buck - they're big but not head between legs big.....I just shout at him and he calms it.....

have to say that I'm not sure I'd whack my boy with a whip when he bucks - he gets a boot and maybe a smack on the shoulder with a whip......

Unfortunately I find it funny and have been told that shouting 'yee hah' is not going to help his education. oooops

matthew

Visit site
My last horse bucked when i first started competing-basically he wasnt used to being around other horses as his previous owner didnt do much with him- he would snort, squeal and plunge as soon as i moved up in to canter -i just took him out loads-including to group lessons and he just got used to it and calmed down, he still did the odd buck out hacking but i didnt mind that!